PDA

View Full Version : Gardens at Stratford-upon-Avon

Shizara
18-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Has anyone seen or taken photos of the area that was, shall we say, rearranged, by the council? Is it looking better now?

cathidaw
19-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I was there on Jubilee day. It was raining but looked good with all the barges in dock and chimneys smoking away..and the town was packed.
I think the people who remember it how it was are very hurt.I thought it lovely before , but if you dont know the place it looks quite attactive-- on a festive day.

Mari
19-06-2012, 05:32 AM
I haven't been for for a few months, and we have been waiting for the rain to stop before we make another trip to Stratford. Looks like this could be the week as the weather is more summer like. I'll try and take some photos.

As for the Bancroft gardens, it sickens my heart to look at. There is now more concrete than trees or grassy area. Actually, I still get quite upset about it all.
But on the whole as Cathi says, Stratford is a very charming place to visit. Only they have trashed what was once a beautiful well established charming, enchanting little oasis. It was for me anyway.

Here is a video or the new bleak look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=UG&feature=related&hl=en-GB&v=pPl1AWnnrqI

Shizara
19-06-2012, 07:12 PM
You are right, it looked very bleak. Let's hope that being summer that what's left of the gardens take the edge off the bleakness.

Mari
19-06-2012, 07:48 PM
We had a good day out in Stratford today and took some pictures which I will load up tomorrow. The weather was really lovely and it does look as they they are still working on the gardens planting things out. But I am afraid the gardens round the Gower statue are very regimented and not been planted in a very tasteful way, they look more like tall weeds and lack colour. Not as pretty as the layout before.
Also they have planted a few more trees. I miss the beautiful sweeping willow trees that used to lined the walk way up to the theatre. They have replaced them, but with some weedy looking trees, I suppose they will mature in a few years.
I must say that Stratford was busy for a weekday, and a lot of traffic through the centre . I think Stratford is a victim of its own success in that so many regard it as very nice place to visit.

Mari
20-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Shizara
20-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Mari, thank you for sharing the photos with us! Yes, it looks tidy and smart but also very spartan and lacking in colour.

Mari
20-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes, it is all rather spartan . Did you click on the images to make them bigger? It's that hideous great metal and concrete bridge that makes it look like something from the city of London, which is completely out of keeping with a small market town in Warwickshire. I can't think why they put that ugly structure there , it totally obliterates your view. There used to a prettier little stone and brick bridge with a very nice ornate iron hand rail. And was built by local prisoners and opened by the Late Queen Mother.

I also visited Shakespeare's house, New Place where they are doing the excavations, the gardens there are really very nice and well kept. I have very colourfull piccies of the Knot Garden, but still some plants are yet to come into bloom.

Mari
20-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Mari
20-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Mari
20-06-2012, 06:03 PM
More favourite views

Mari
20-06-2012, 06:13 PM