PDA

View Full Version : message for rebbonk et al

cathidaw
27-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Hallo there rebbonk
iT APPEARS THAT IT'S JUST YOU AND ME now mate, for a while . Are you willing to carry on?
I'm easy about it , and live in hope that somewhere out there in the ethearal wilderness( if there is such a thing ), someone will notice us and join in.
I haven't run out of words yet !

rebbonk
28-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm game :)

I'll chat about almost anything when I get going :)

cathidaw
29-05-2012, 10:39 PM
That's ok then

rebbonk
30-05-2012, 05:04 AM
What do you reckon, a current affairs type of discussion to get things going? Perhaps you and I ought to discuss things more local to us? How about views on Mutton's patio?

cathidaw
30-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Not heard of it.
tell me.I've stopped buying the Telegraph , what a rag it is now. My sister brings it sometimes
I went tothe Coventry cathedral 50 years 'DO' last week.
Afterwards I was looking for a toilet and went into the old Provosts house ,following a crowd , up the steps. As I waited I saw people coming out of a room with platefuls of food. Called my sister who was with me, and was served a buffet meal. Later found out it was for sspecial guests including the Archbishop of Canterbury, and others of that ilk.. Shook hands with him , (why not, he was there) and another, I found later to be the German Ambassador. Worth going . Agood laugh too gatecrashing the food room.
Seriously it was one of the best of days.

rebbonk
31-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Muttons patio! The rather uncomplimentary (but quite accurate) nickname for the "square" that Broadgate has become. Mutton is leader of the council, hence is held responsible. Apparently, the rumour that Coventry City Council has shares in a paving company are untrue.

Toilets in Coventry city centre are a nightmare if you don't know where you're going. The ones in Cathedral Lanes shopping complex have recently closed. The only ones I know of for certain are the Library and the market. I guess there must be facilities at the bus station but other than that.... (I use pub facilities if stuck. :) )

Sounds like you had a good time. Like you say, it would be rude not to stop and say thanks.

Incidentally, I was once told of a couple of professional funeral gate crashers working in Nuneaton. They used to hang around the crem' then tag on to the bigger funerals. Apparently it saved them a fortune on food and drink.

cathidaw
05-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I know an elderly couple who go to the Salvation Army free dinners every day They have a 4 x 4 and travel around the Coventry and bedwoth area.
Christmas day.they go to 2 dinners. Until 2 years agoI served dinners at Christmas in Bedworth to the '' down and outs'. I know it's also for the lonely but I ever only met a couple of homeless. They need to advertise more. It is such a good day for them. Allthe food is provided by Tesco and Sainsbury's and it is quite a banquet.
Although not a member of the S.A.I voluteered to help man a soup van at night in my area but up to now it hasn't come off.

Mari
10-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Just to let folks know, the latest member is spam from India, activitiescommon, with a link to this site, .tataidc.co.in

IP has been blacklisted. It appears to be infected with a spam sending trojan or proxy.
Notice the Host IP is the IP address reversed.

IP address: 14.96.198.97
Host name: static-97.198.96.14.tataidc.co.in

link...http://website.informer.com/tataidc.co.in

He/She wants to make friends, yeah, right, I wonder why!

Mari
10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Anyone seen Lex?

http://www.arrocharheritage.com/Animated%20Images/search_light.gif

cathidaw
11-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Exactly what I was wondering !

Gladys
11-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm here- just been caught up in very tedious rubbish. What has been happening to WARKSOL? There has to be a reason why people have not been attending as they did. Perhaps its just that life right now is so very full of stress from all angles.

rebbonk
11-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Is it because I joined and nobody wants to play with a grumpy old git? (Only joking - I hope!) innit!

cathidaw
12-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Perhaps they're all a-twitter.
No rebbonk dont put yourself down.
You an' me we'll keep the'ome fires goin' 'till they all have time to come back.
Blame it on the recession. everyone else does.
Nice to hear you popping up from time to time Gladys and Mari. I know all about 'stuff' getting in the way of life.
Some nice things do happen.
A year ago I had a brand new ankle joint-2 bits. No-one-- doctors I mean-- here were interested . don't do ankles they said. I asked to be referred to The Royal orthopaedic in Birmingham. They -my doctors-- didn't exactly laugh but.......you know what I mean .Like that ad for insurance and the underdog.
I had the operation and it was and is perfect
One day I shall have the other done but it was a long job-- couldn't drive for 6 months.
But why am I saying this.. the NHS did me proud , and we are so lucky in spite of all the other stuff we keep reading about.
What we need is a n intelligent Government and we'll be well away.

Gladys
13-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Cathidaw, What is an 'intelligent ' Government? I say that with tongue in cheek because as things stand we have about as much chance of that as pigs flying to the moon. This whole regime is just evil and it looks set to make things worse and worse. As just one example- how does the budget of £2.5 billion become £9 billion with a saving boasted about too for the Olympic debacle. This is what the Olympic speaker said on the BBC Breakfast programme this morning. He was challenged on the 2 different budget figures but managed to slide out sideways as usual.

Mari
13-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Apparently, Cameron has got a 1st class honours degree from Oxford, and he doesn't even have the intelligence of the ordinary man in the street who could most probably do a better job of running the country.

Shizara
13-06-2012, 02:41 PM
To gain formal qualifications is very commendable, however, the 'qualifications' gained from life itself should become part of the balancing factor when measuring intelligence and making decisions. To be honest, some of the most important lessons that life teaches us have gone whoosh over the heads of many of those that we are supposed to look to for leadership.

This is a world of smoke, mirrors and not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing. Frequently we are fed a diet of many words with little truth and fact and often it is served up in a way designed to present what they want to present to us and hide the rest with smoke and mirrors.

cathidaw
13-06-2012, 04:38 PM
How true that is, but most people are wise enough to know all about the smoke and mirrors game and simply don't believe anything unless we've sussed it out for ourselves.and are always justifiably suspicious.
'They would like us to go back 100 years ago when we - the people believed everything the goverments told us,brainwashed to be underdogs and inferior, by giving them no rights. keeping people so poor and overworked,they had no time to think properly because of malnutrition. We know the upper classes didn't want the proletarians educated fearing that they'd learn to think for themselves - or of anything except making the rich richer.
Lowering wages and puttin folk out of work-- how stupid, how are people supposed to live, and as it is forcast that thousands more houses will be repossesed have they planned where all these people will go. Sofull of their own importance, their tiny pea brains havent reached that far.
Most people now , especially since the wars, and being more educated - know better.
'They' dont get away with 'everything' nowadays, but still far too much.
Aless passive nation would be out on the sreets complaining.
A bit of trivia;;
In the Boer war they lowered the height for recruits by 3 " as the nation was so under nourished.

rebbonk
13-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Ladies,

We must not confuse education with common sense. To a large extent you can buy an education, but you can't buy common sense. And I've never seen a better case than with the inept shower that are currently in office. They might have qualifications, but if it wasn't who they were, they'd be totally unemployable.

Gladys
16-06-2012, 04:43 PM
They are unemployable- that's why they are in post- no where else to put them. Imagine leaving your 8 year old in a pub.

Shizara
16-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I would expect the 8 year old to be with a parent or guardian at all times if in a pub and I take it there were no minders or security staff with them that might have noticed one member missing.

Maybe this is too simplistic but, couldn't one parent contact the other and ask if the child was with them?

Mari
16-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't think Cameron or Osborne have ever had a proper job.
They worked as advisers in parliament, though who on earth would want their advice!
Cameron is clearly mentally challenged and is one of the thickest Prime Ministers we have ever had.
There's no one to vote for anymore, they are all crooks as far as I am concerned.

cathidaw
16-06-2012, 10:25 PM
The problem is that people think educated means intelligent.
Educated thickos get on in the world, and of course they are the well to do.Thats why we have a government like this lot.
How they would get on in a state school I wouldn't like to guess.
About leaving the child. When my son was 3 weeks old I took him to the local shop to --show off.
As I started walking up the road someone opened the shop door shouting, HAVENT YOU FORGOTTEN SOMETHING. What does that make me?

rebbonk
17-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Osborne has never held down a real job, unless you count folding towels in Selfridges or data inputting for the NHS. The muppet even changed his name to make himself more "electable". - His given name was Gideon.

Camoron [sic] has never had a real job, but managed to lose some nuclear missiles under the Thatcher government ('89). - They have never been recovered.

Frankly, I don't believe either of them could run a proverbial in a brewery, never mind the country. And as for that Clegg chap, best not get me started, the Dr. has warned me about my blood pressure.

Gladys
17-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Re: Osborne and Cameron- there you have it Rebonnk. These are their qualifications. Ozzie's as a data inputter - same as he does now- inputs numbers to fit the hole. Cameron losing nuclear missiles - he loses everything- votes most of all. Clegg- well puppet comes to mind.

rebbonk
17-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Not totally off topic...

We continue to accept mediocrity and failure when we need to stamp it out.

Yesterday I had the financial report for some shares I hold. I quote, "The board has reviewed the KPIs* above and compared them to the business plan and is disappointed to report the decline in the year."

Yet, they've increased their staff, increased their own remuneration packages and now have the cheek to seek re-election to office for the good they've done. I'll tell you, they don't get my vote!

It's the same with politicians. You can count the good ones on one hand. People complain about them, yet vote for them year after year. Whilst this situation continues things won't change.

Then again, if our vote actually made any difference, we wouldn't get one would we?

*= Key performance indicators

cathidaw
17-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Re: Osborne and Cameron- there you have it Rebonnk. These are their qualifications. Ozzie's as a data inputter - same as he does now- inputs numbers to fit the hole. Cameron losing nuclear missiles - he loses everything- votes most of all. Clegg- well puppet comes to mind.
I have a 3 year old grandson who is good at putting numbers into the right holes, but he's getting a bit bored with it. Perhaps I should ask ozzie
whatthe next stage is. Or ask the child what he thinks Ozzie should do next.

By the way I prefer the name Gideon !

another tale...........and very true.
I cant think I've mentioned this before but if so, well here it is again.
We're back to the social services, of course.
A woman I know is always 'desperate ' for money She has 2 children 2 and 10. In between partners at present.!
The social workers feels sorry, and she gets anything she asks for.beds appliances , and money.
Every time she gets a cheque-- which seems to be often, she has a tattoo 'to cheer myself up'
. 14 up to now.
I didn't say a word !!!

Mari
18-06-2012, 08:19 AM
What is it with tattoos, why do they have to have them, is it some kind of status symbol?
I don't think they are at all attractive.
Beckham has them all over his body, and it must be a goulish sight for his kids, who surely, when the see the father marked like that ask for themselves to have tattoos.
Tattoos used to be confined in British history to sailors in the Royal Navy and then only on the forearms, as far as I know, but now it seem a whole cultural things.

Sorry ot veer off topic.

rebbonk
18-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm no fan of tattoos, but to each their own.

I do object to people having them removed on the NHS, they chose to have them why should we pay for their mistakes?

But what really tickles me is how these tattoos look on skin that isn't in the first flush of youth. Putting it mildly, it ain't nice.

cathidaw
18-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I agree with what you all say but --come on...Tattoos withsocial services money when it's supposed to be for food.

rebbonk
18-06-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree with what you all say but --come on...Tattoos withsocial services money when it's supposed to be for food.

Of course, you are quite right, it's not on. Perhaps only giving vouchers for food/clothing/bedding etc. would be the answer? - Mind you, last time I suggested such a thing I was called a fascist.

Last week, I was on the bus and overheard a young lady(18ish) in discussion with someone on the phone. She claimed that she only got £90/fortnight for her and her child to live on. Now, that isn't much and no doubt she actually had other benefits, but she looked very well dressed and her child and pram looked absolutely lovely. I do seriously wonder about how these people survive.

Shizara
18-06-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know a lot about the benefits system here but, correct me if I am wrong, but might that be what is left after all the bills are paid including council tax and rent? I find it hard to believe that they only have £90 in total to pay all things.

cathidaw
19-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Most people with children who are on benefits have their bills paid, there are a few exceptions.
I know many people on benefits in the area where my sister lives. Foe example the tattoo lady I mentioned has no rent, gas electricity to pay ,,she actually said 'I'mm glad I dont have bills coming in'
and even begrudges having to take her own bin out.
Don't know how they get away with it.

rebbonk
19-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Whilst benefits are no doubt a good safety net (we can all hit a bad patch) they ought not be seen as a long-term solution. In all honesty, I don't know the right way to handle mothers with young children, but surely it's quite reasonable for them to work once their children are at school? Of course, that's assuming that there are any jobs!

I believe that benefits are for the needy, not the greedy.

Shizara
23-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Not everyone in this world has paper qualifications and it is has been that way throughout history. When I ventured into the world of working for a living, aged 15, I knew how to type, understood about invoices, statements, receipts etc and had a reasonable command of English. I started on the bottom rung of the ladder as the office junior and over a period of time added to the knowledge that I already had of working in an office. In those days it included making the tea, serving it to management, washing up, ordering tea/coffee stocks - no teabags, we made big pots of tea using tea leaves. The office junior also did the dusting and the vacuuming. After about 6 months you have a good idea of how an office is run, probably able to cover for other staff when they are away and one day someone leaves. Your opportunity to move up the ladder and have someone else come in as the office junior. Today I doubt there are too many who would be prepared to do the tea making and cleaning along with their office duties, but, we didn't have a tea lady or contracted cleaners except to do the windows, in fact, they can become quite indigent at the very mention of the idea. If we wanted to improve our job opportunities for the future we went to night school. Having to do the jobs that some might consider demeaning or beneath them builds stronger characters and can help make us more grounded in life. Yes. it can be difficult financially, your pay structure is lower but you are also learning to cut your cloth according to the pattern. The difficulty with that line of thinking is as future generations have come along those very basics in life appear to be airbrushed away and in many instances the benefit system can be more attractive than working for a living especially if you know how to use or abuse it as the case may be.

Years ago - not in the UK - I remember a system whereby people could apply to the local council to do manual work for the town. Work such as town beautification eg mowing grass verges, gardening, eradicating noxious weeds, helping the elderly who were unable to pay a trades person. The government gave what they would have paid in unemployment benefit to the council, the council topped it up to make a very respectable wage that was probably about your average labourers rate. To give an idea of comparison I worked as an office clerk and those doing the manual labouring jobs like this were actually earning more.

Lex
29-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone seen Lex?

I'm back! For some reason my account sudedenly disappeared a few weeks ago, and the site wouldn't let me re-register. However, thanks to a sterling effort by Shizara I'm now back with WOL. :D

Lex
29-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Anyone seen Lex?

I'm back! For some reason, my original account disappeared, and WOL wouldn't let me re-register. However, thanks to Shizara's sterling effort, I'm back with WOL.

Mari
02-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome baaaaack Lex!

Glad everything is ok....and look forward to you posting again.
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/champagne.gif