PDA

View Full Version : The Weather

Mari
30-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Looks like it's going to be a cold week. I'm freezing anyway! http://209.85.48.11/6294/90/emo/freeze.gif

Hope everyone is well and keeping out colds and flu.

rebbonk
30-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm ready :)

http://petercobley.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/manflu1.jpg

Gladys
30-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Haha - I expect they've sold out by now. It is cold and getting colder. Just Thank your lucky stars you're not in Bulgaria as my daughter is- its -9 today and going to -18 this week. Lots and lots of snow too. Brrrr.

Mari
30-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Haha - I expect they've sold out by now. It is cold and getting colder. Just Thank your lucky stars you're not in Bulgaria as my daughter is- its -9 today and going to -18 this week. Lots and lots of snow too. Brrrr.

Brrrhh, I can't imagine -18. I'd be staying under the duvet!

rebbonk
30-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a friend out in Lapland cold climate testing. It's cold....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/421559_10150627560556449_541406448_10829276_426828 446_n.jpg

cathidaw
31-01-2012, 01:03 AM
last year when it was so cold my heating went and we couldn't get parts for 10 days...they kept sending the wrong ones. I slept with duvets underneath amd on top.
Trouble was, I didn't want to move out of bed.

Gladys
31-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Oh Dear- dreadful Cathidaw. Hope nothing like that happens to you this winter. I'm not taking any risks- I have the duvets all stock piled ready and I have got my Mum's old fur out. Sorry if the anti-fur people are offended but it died many many moons ago. Looks like its a 1940s coat to me but its still in good shape and is extremely warm.

rebbonk
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Lapland this morning!

Gladys
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Rebbonk- No not doing that one, its bad enough here. I just got back from a walk with the dogs and its absolutely freezing- sun was out but no heat in it at all. You can feel the Baltic air or where ever the chill factor is coming from. Thermals, jeans, jumper, scarf, boots and gloves - under said fur coat.

Shizara
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
LOL... I like the MANFLU SURVIVAL KIT

Mari
10-02-2012, 06:29 AM
More snow today.:149:

Mari
29-04-2012, 11:04 AM
What's happening to the weather, it's been raining continuous most days for over a week now. High winds lastnight. Hope everyone still has a roof on their homes.

Mari
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
It's time we had a break now from this miserable cold , damp weather!
It's may now, and I have put the heating on, and having a nice hot cup of coffee!

cathidaw
06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
My excuse for not gardening

Gladys
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Its a miserable Bank Holiday - damp, grey and cold. Its hard to think in other parts of the world its baking hot- 30 degrees in Bulgaria and Oklahoma are just 2 examples. I can't get my hanging baskets under way yet because of the frost warnings. Its May for goodness sake - should be some sunshine and a bit more heat other than the 7 degrees my computer tells me it is outside. Just grim isn't it?

cathidaw
07-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Sorry to be so cheerful but I'm only glad it's not snowing or icy and the rain wont last forever.And I have anexcuse for not mowing.

Shizara
20-06-2012, 06:01 AM
Typical! Today the sun will shine - for the most part, but make the most of it there is more of the wet and grey coming. On the bright side, I don't need to take my Mary Poppin's brolly with me today.

cathidaw
21-06-2012, 02:20 AM
An old man walks by my house every dayon his way from the liitle shop. His wife sends him shopping and she allows him his fags too.Every day he also buys a miniature bottle of whiskey, Labelled 3.99.
I know this because one day my son was hoeing the front garden and an empty bottle landed at his feet. I have a large dense laurel hedge and the man didn't see him there. This has solved the mystery of all the mini bottles we find in the hedge. One month last year there were 29 of them. I don't think his wife knowshe has this little tipple. .He retired years ago and she gets him out while she does her chores.
We never let on ! !

Shizara
21-06-2012, 04:02 PM
You could put your wellies on and startle the locals by puddle jumping :devilred:

Shizara
21-06-2012, 04:05 PM
An iconic NZ song about wellies or 'gumboots' as they are known to us..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAWwqKNI7g

You should 'get' most of it, but to help..

One of the freds refers to another bloke.

Rob Muldoon and Rowling, will they had their time leading the country :-P

So remember, they are gumboots! You need them with all this rain.

Shizara
21-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Just read the tale of the old man and his miniature whiskey. If his wife has a sense of smell surely she would have noticed and if so probably weighed up the odds and decided that well, he is out for a while whilst the housework is being done thus giving her some peace and quiet. He probably chats to the person behind the counter and wanders off home again.

Gladys
23-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Its 20 degrees and balmy but windy down here today. At least its not raining and the mud at the Isle of Wight festival will have a chance to dry out.

cathidaw
23-06-2012, 03:33 PM
when the same man passes my house and sees me t conversation goes like this;
I say "are you alright Mr ...." (or something scintillating like that ) He raises his hat saying "Thank you yes. Looks as if we're gointget some weather before night."
Many years ago I told him off for allowing his dog to foul my pavement. He didn't speak for years.
He's very charming
QUOTE=Shizara;14549]Just read the tale of the old man and his miniature whiskey. If his wife has a sense of smell surely she would have noticed and if so probably weighed up the odds and decided that well, he is out for a while whilst the housework is being done thus giving her some peace and quiet. He probably chats to the person behind the counter and wanders off home again.[/QUOTE]

Mari
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I love this musical arrangement of Shakespeare song

The Wind and the Rain, from Shakepeare's play Twelfth Night.

Appropiate in the light of the present weather conditions .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FhSfZplNbN0

When that I was and a little tiny boy,
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,
A foolish thing was but a toy,
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came to man’s estate,
'Gainst knaves and thieves men shut their gate,
But when I came, alas! to wive,
By swaggering could I never thrive,
But when I came unto my beds,
With toss-pots still had drunken heads,
A great while ago the world begun,
But that’s all one, our play is done,
And we’ll strive to please you every day

Wish we could embed videos.

Lex
11-03-2013, 12:42 PM
It's horrible! The wind's the worst part - it just seems to right through you.

Lex
11-03-2013, 12:51 PM
It's causing traffic problems too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-21738974

Lex
22-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Stratford's forecast to get a couple of inches of snow tonight. Frankly, I'm sick of the bad weather!

http://www.stratford-herald.com/local-news/6515-heavy-snow-forecast-for-stratford.html

Shizara
23-03-2013, 07:05 AM
I peered through the vertical blinds this morning and everything is coated in snow. I still have to go to work so I daresay I will be trudging out in it to catch the train properly attired including protective trousers and snow boots - if it is running - much earlier than usual. On the upside, the heating and the electricity is still working.

Lex
23-03-2013, 09:21 AM
We've got a coating of snow here in Stratford as well - a good 2 inches & still falling. :(

rebbonk
23-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Didn't we used to say.... "March. In like a lion, out like a lamb"?

Gladys
23-03-2013, 05:56 PM
When you compare the fact that it was around 20 degrees this time last year, it rather rubs it in as to how miserable it is now. Snow or no snow- awful if you have to go out in it. I feel for Shizara- take care. I also think about people who planned Weddings thinking it would be reasonable and usually quite nice this time of year with spring springing etc. Imagine getting all done up in your Wedding dress and having to brave the snow and ice with perhaps a lot of your guests unable to get there. This is the reality for many Wedding parties today as shown on last night's news.

Shizara
24-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Did anyone see the gritters out last night or any salt on the roads this morning? I trudged through the snow to the station this morning leaving much earlier than I needed to so I didn't have to rush and risk slipping. The ring road was slushy, a few cars - for whatever reason - were moving a bit quicker than I would have though were reasonable for the conditions but I guess it is fun for some to spray slushy water towards pedestrians. I got to work safely and home again.

Imagine braving the snow and ice in your wedding dress wearing Wellington boots? - Am still not used to calling them anything other than gumboots.

rebbonk
24-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Coventry gritters were definitely out last night. However, it was quite early (8.30 ish) when I saw them and the roads were quite wet, so much of the salt could have washed off.

Gladys
28-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Well, the sun's out down here this morning. Its cold but dry and no snow. It tried a smidge of a flurry yesterday afternoon for all of 2 minutes. None since. Its just great to see that shiny round orb in the sky- whilst there's no heat in it yet, its so heartening.

cathidaw
28-03-2013, 04:14 PM
The weather didn't stop someone breaking into my house on Tuesday night.
I hope their legs are paralysed for the next month.

rebbonk
28-03-2013, 04:41 PM

:mad: I have no words.....

Shizara
28-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm not lost for words, in fact I have plenty of them but that won't turn back the clock. I can only add to the thoughts of the others that it is a really horrible experience and does have an impact on you.

Lex
28-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I hope their legs are paralysed for the next month.

Hiope there wasn't too much damage and loss Cathi.

Gladys
29-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Cathidaw, Dear Got im himmel !!! I hope you and your family are OK and also hope the sh**sters that did this freeze in hell.

cathidaw
30-03-2013, 01:36 AM
. They'd been through the drawers and tipped a lot on the floor.Got off with various bags of photographic stuff--easy to carry. ( SOME OF WHICH i WAS PUTTING ON EBAY SO HAVE the PHOTOS) Lots of things on the beds and at top of stairs
-ready to go..Th e house was still warmbut soon was freezing which makes me believe I disturbed them,
The only damage was my rear door window which is inside a porch. triple glazed and toughened.I'm still finding glass everywhere.And they messed up my alarm.Also they took a brand new laptop which belongs to my camera club.Police came
quickly but I dont hold out much hope.
Not being fond of housework I'd had a guilt trip on Monday and gave the house a good clean and tidy up.
Wasted energy that was.

Gladys
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Well at least you have photographic evidence of some of it- that may help the Boys in Blue or should do. However, in my experience from what people have said is that they tend to let the Insurers sort it out in replacing the items. I hope they attempt to retrieve stuff and put out their feelers to local pawn brokers and also watch Ebay sites. It doesn't go any where near repairing your losses and the clean up you've had to go through. I hope they rot in hell- the thieves that is not the Boys in Blue. It seems the police have little power and few resources to act on these things. You have lost out and there is no recompense for that. I am so sorry Cathidaw.

cathidaw
02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all your kind words.I was more annoyed than upset.
The forensic person came about 11.30 next day but the snow had melted the footprints by then. I took photos at 8 am which are so clear. I've been trying to get them to see them..I'd send them by e.mail, but no-one seems interested.
I'll try again tomorrow.May have to shame them into looking.

Lex
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
I've just had a quick peek at the weather forecast, and apparently there's going to be a high level of pollen about for the next few days. Get your tissues out all you hayfever suffers out there!

Shizara
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Allergy conjunctivitis here we come..