PDA

View Full Version : history of an old book.

cathidaw
22-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I have in my possesion an old veterinary book published around 1852. Very well used and has been repaired. The interesting thing about this book are the inscriptions in scrawled copper plate on some of the inside cover pages of recipes for ailments, which include the use of many herbs, dragons blood, turpentine ,antimony and many moreI've not heard of for years, (or perhaps only in witches brews.)
The book belonged to a man, obviously the vet -- named Joseph Goodyer.
I'd be interested to know more of this man , who would have been around in the 1850s.
Goodyer is a quite common name in the Bedworth / Nuneeton area.

Shizara
27-12-2012, 03:57 PM
This one has me a bit flummoxed. Does the book state that Joseph Goodyer was a vet? I found 2 other by that name in the area, 1 was a weaver and the other a farrier. Does the book have a title?

cathidaw
30-12-2012, 12:47 AM
He may have been that farrier. He obviously did treat the animals. The lady -now dead-who gave me the book said he was a vet-
Yes,a typical Victorian title;
The Complete Modern Farrier.
A manual of Veterinary Science
comprising instuctions for the cure of all diseases incidental to
HORSES,cATTLE, sHEEP, SWINE AND DOGS.
with engravings byThomas Brown,MPS.
PUBLISHED BY GEORGE vIRTUE, IVY LANE lONDON.

This book is so tatty and well used, with the copperplate instructions hand writtenon the inside facings and a loose page of the same it's one of the favourites in my collection.
I can imagine he took it out with him on his visits.

Shizara
30-12-2012, 10:12 AM
The 1851 Census shows Joseph Goodyer, aged 19, an apprentice farrier, born in Bulkington, Warwickshire. He appeared to be an apprentice under Robert Pearce, farrier and was living at 68 High Street, West Bromich.

The 1841 Census shows a Joseph Goodyer, aged 8, born c1833, Bulkington, Warwickshire. Should this be the right person, he is the son of Sarah Goodyer, aged 42, born c1799, Others present on census night were:

William Goodyer 22
Eli Goodyer 19
John Goodyer 16
Thomas Goodyer 12
Sarah Goodyer 3

There is no sign of a husband there.

I did some searches for a birth c1832 and found one. His parents were Joseph Goodyer and Sarah Wrickett. He married Lucy Williams in the first quarter of 1853 in Birmingham.

They immigrated to Victoria, Australia and then to NZ. Five children were born in Australia and three in NZ.

Joseph Goodyer died 10 April, 1879 in Murchison, New Zealand.