PDA

View Full Version : Who did it?

rebbonk
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Speculation as to who attacked Cain in Emmerdale.

I have no idea as I rarely watch it, but I'd like to know your theories... :)

rebbonk
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Oh, I don't know what's going on, I don't have a telly rebbonk.:o

Wish I didn't!

If it wasn't for the missus I could quite happily get rid of mine

Gladys
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Rebbonk- Sorry, I have no idea. I don't watch it although I think I recognise the theme tune. Mari,I loved having no TV when the children were small. My friends used to think I was an oddbod and really mean except our household held conversations which theirs very often didn't. When we got one I was very annoyed and felt intruded upon. I can't quite remember what made me give in but eventually I did. I still only watch it if there is something worth watching which sadly isn't often. Both children, now grown up are out doors types and not into it much either. They excel at conversation and debate, I wonder why?

Gladys
11-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Thank you Mari, my Mum is 91 and she too loves her TV programmes- usually all sport or crime I might add. We don't ring her or call round if the rugby, tennis or cricket is on- she won't answer the phone/door.

Gladys
12-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Mari- they sound like two peas in a pod. Mum also drives- and what is more she is safe unlike many. She lunches with her cronnies and together they must hell raise at the shops. She plays bridge and has bought her self a gaming table so roulette, backgammon etc are often in full swing when we pop in. She likes a bet on the horses and studies the form too. I let it slip you can have a telephone account and so when its been snowing (like your Mum she avoids going out then) she rings in with her bet or did do last snow season!!! I have to admire her because they really don't make em like they used to.

cathidaw
13-12-2011, 12:11 AM
I dont feel ashamed to say that I DO watch tv, And some of the soaps. I like to keep up with the people in my class--(dont like to be outdone you see, thats my excuse) it's only like reading a long book, and guessing what the storyline will be.
Who bashed Cain? I dont think anyone knows yet. Too many motivees- is that a word?
Its like one of those rubbishy News of the world crosswords -- could be any answer. I'd hazzard a guess at Zac, but surprisingly it could be his son -- the dopey one. Ben I think.
Most of us read, write, paint, go out, etc. and tv is also part of our lives.
There is some good stuff if you are choosy. Nobody has to watch trash, and there is plenty of that.

Some of the younger kids programmes are amazing. It's lovely to sit with a little one who knows all the actions and words, and who joins in with the movements. Half an hour a day doesn't do any harm.

My grandson is 2and half, His mum is Spanish and he speaks both languages . Some times they teach French or Spanish words in a children's programme and he delights in it , saying to us "I did it "meaning he got it right. A lot different to when my children were little and we had 15 minutes a day.Shadowy black (or grey)and white
Remember the Woodentops and Any Pandy days?
We can learn a lot from tv and radio , if we are choosy.
If I am working , painting - in the evening I listen to radio 4 . As I am usually too lazy to get up and switch over it's surprising what I learn, especially in the very late hours .I know all about window boxes --dont want one -- blight on apple trees -- havent got one but you never know. How to prepare for a round the world motor bike trip. mmm. How to solve the situation in Afghanistan ..Middle east and China, mmmmmm again. The programme about bricks and brickwork was fascinating -- truly -
I have a collection of bricks from 17th century til late victorian.
You ask me something and I may remember.
Does any one like the shipping forecast? I have visions of those far off heaving seas. The first mention of Rockall, Malin, Firth, and I'm in another world. Silly maybe but it's nice to dream. I'd like to do a tour of them all.
(A bit of useless inf. The shipping forecast is broadcast from a tiny unobtrusive office in Milton Keynes)

I watch Question Time ,eggheads,Newsnight, Neighbours , and Emmerdale if I'm in.
As you see I'm quite well informed. Again -- mmmm !
The other week I went to Amsterdam. One of the highlights was going to a lecture on biodiversity ,by Germaine Greer , .
She is often at Warwick university ----and I go all that way to see her.

Gladys
13-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Cathidaw- you are a very diverse, well read and intellectual lady. I too am interested in people like Germaine Greer. How wonderful to have gone to her lectures. I am envious. The shipping forecast always held me with interest too- I keep thinking of German Bight. I have no idea where it is except it always seems rough there. I imagine people on ships around the world in various ways going about their business but all tuning in to it. It also seems very odd that it is broadcast from Milton Keynes. One would expect some maritime port like Dover or Liverpool perhaps? What do you do with the 17th century tiles? I am love architectural history.
Yes- choosy is the word with TV. I have fond memories of Andypandy and The Woodentops when I first came to the UK aged 7. I had no idea they had resurrected those programmes. I may have to revisit them at some time. Question time and some of the other programmes are very informative and I do occasionally watch them. Your Grandson is lucky to be bilingual. I used to be- arabic and english speaking. I also became very good at french but again it is all down to practice and I don't get the chance these days- certainly not with the arabic. I brought both of my children up speaking French and English. Their GodMother is french and she'd often come for coffee so we'd sit speaking french then. It worked very well but they now don't get this input so keep your Grandson's skills going everywhich way you can. It is superb to be able to master another tongue.

rebbonk
13-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Just for you Gladys, wonder no more :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7FgoOggbY5c/TQuaD_EY7HI/AAAAAAAAAgw/b8vnJ-x5MWc/s1600/viking.jpg

Gladys
13-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Rebbonk- Thank you very much. You've dispelled all of my wonderings about these. I am grateful. It takes me back as my Father used to listen to the shipping forecast. I have no idea why as he was a pilot and an air trafic controller. Maybe they needed them for planes back then in 1970s before satellite navigation took control.

cathidaw
13-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Oh Gladys ,,,an intellectual...me?...if only.
I'm diverse I must admit, a grasshopper mind I have been told..hmmmmm
To get back to the weather ; My son bought me a book by Charlie Connelly, called ,Attention All Shipping" a journey round the shipping forecast. A radio 4 book of the week. Thats why I'd like to do the same,
rebok-- I've printed out your diagram to keep in the book,although there are diagrams in it but not the same ones
It is also amusing.

Gladys I dont do anything with my bricks--- just look at them and think about the people who made them all those centuries ago. Hoping to get vibes.!!
My Victorian ones are part of a field drain culvert shaped so as to form a complete circle with 20 of them. How ingenious were they !!
As my son is an archaeologist we have lots of 'stuff' around, and he doesn't even live here now.
No nice china cabinets here in my house just bits of old concrete- like artifacts drying off before going to the museum
Medieaval tiles from various places. A popular piece of broken Roman clayware has a dog's pawprint. Cant you just imagine what the 3rd century potter said after putting his pots to dry and then that damn dog running amok..
We are lucky in this area because Nuneaton was one of the largest pottery making p;aces in this country in Roman times. The distinctive pottery and tiles can be found all over the country and abroad.
I must admit I like odd things.
Who buys their mother a birthday pressy of an ancient lock from Morocco and a manacle. All I need now is the chain and ball to go with it.
Also Gladys they still have air traffic controllers in Spain and probably elsewhere too
A very important job

Gladys
13-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Cathidaw,I too love to collect old stuff but it drives my Man mad. He can't understand why we have to have all this crock lying about doing nothing but gathering dust. As I don't mind the dust either he gets all housey from blue moon to blue moon and has a clear around. He learnt very fast not to have a clear out!!! I think it comes from my love of all things historical and to do with who we were back in days gone by. I adore old buildings as I said and was surrounded by a wealth of architecture when I was at Boarding School in Wells. We have air traffic controllers here in Hampshire near Warsash by Southampton too. The ATC centre is a huge under cover high tech and top secret place which I have had the pleasure of looking over as my Man's friend was the boss until he retired last year. They are responsible for the whole of the UK air space. However, they are guided more by the satelite systems although they still have to know how to do it if the gizmos go wrong.