it was called st anne's home and i think it was on Clarendon ave

http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/LEAMI02.html

i wonder if the building still stands or if anyone knows where it was located

any help is appreciated

thank you

barbara
11-04-2011, 12:12 PM
thank you for your pics

it was the place on warwick new street i was in, its a shame it has fallen in to such disrepair but it was still nice to see it after all this time

ann
11-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hello Barbara
I've only just joined this site and found your message about St Annes. My brothers and I went to St Annes in 1955. I was known as Georgina Eldrett and I was 6 years old at the time. The matron was Perr Legge, assistants were Auntie Brown and Miss Button, and I remember Twiddy and Twinks, (Mrs Teedy the cleaner and Mrs Winkless who used to do the washing up). I have a copy of a photograph that would have been taken at Christmastime in 1955 or 1956 at the very latest 1957. I can't identify all the people in it but it includes the Williams girls (Maureen, Carol and Elaine) Celia Hamilton, Gillian Crowhurst, Ann Angel, my brothers Michael and Peter, Vivian Barker, Alan Waghorn and Charlotte Legge, there are more but I'm at work and can't see it at the moment. I 'm also in contact with Alice Porter who was one of the middle girls (early teens) when I arrived
After Perr retired ther was a new matron but the home closed quite soon, I'm sorry I don't remember when that was. Perr passed away a few years ago.
The building was used for some time by St Johns Ambulance (the main part) and the kitchen and the back by one of the groups that were supposed to help you get back into work. Most recently it was part of Warwickshire College as classrooms, then a language school then i think as accommodation for foreign students.
I drove past the other day and noticed it was all boarded up, it's a shame to see it so neglected but I suppose no-one is interested or able to maintain such a large place.
Incidentally, the large tree with the rope swing is still there even though the land was sold off and private houses built in Guyscliffe Road.
I still live in the area and would be happy to hear from you.
Georgina is my middle name I have reverted to my first name
Ann