PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oopsie

Shizara
22-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Assembling a table and chairs. So far, so good, doing well until I get to chair number 3. Over confident now and no longer following the instructions, after all, I have just assembled 2 chairs haven't I? I merrily tap in the bits of dowel, pick up another section and set about connecting the two and the penny drops !!**CLANG**!! ... I had put one bit of dowel in the wrong hole. Doh. I try and pull it out but it starts to disintegrate. I try pushing it through from the other side and it budges a little. Finally am grinding it out with a screwdriver, wondering what I can use for a replacement but guessing I will probably have to wait until the shops open again and buy some. :banghead3:

Shizara
23-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Update on the oopsie experience...

I managed to get the dowel out, but because the wood is so soft half of it disintegrated and I had to encourage the rest of it to come out. So what do you do? It's getting late in the evening, am not likely to find a tree growing bits of dowel and it's not the kind of thing you might have about the house like a few screws, washers, or nails. Thinking hard.. "What have I got that is the same width ?....." :hmmm: Then, some Kiwi ingenuity took over.... of course... A pencil! I cut the pointed end off with pliers, then measuring the length using another piece of dowel cut that off too. Tapped it into the hole just like the others, finished assembling the chair and it seems every bit as sturdy.