PDA

View Full Version : Back to the cauldron and nature..

Shizara
21-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Friday, just gone, I managed to injure my ankle to the point that I couldn't stand it on the floor. Managed to hop to a chair, feeling more than a tad peculiar. No, I didn't get a taxi to A&E, because it's Friday night and likely to be busy with people that have overindulged in the drink, so, hopped to the freezer and got a bag of frozen veg which I put on the ankle. As is to be expected, it swelled. Next day I went to A&E. When it was my turn, someone spent about 30 seconds prodding and twisting with me grimacing in pain and pronounced it fine. So, knowing the kind of job that I do I asked it it was fine to go back to doing it now. Keep in mind that I am not one that is looking for a sick note or fitness note as it is now called. I was raised to get up and go to school / work etc not find any excuse to not do so. I was simply trying to establish whether it was safe to do the job that I do which will require the wearing of heavier boots. Currently I had a trainer, with the laces loosened to the point that the whole top was open enough to be forced on to the injured foot as it was the only shoe I could get anywhere near it. The person walked away saying "Yes", which left me with the impression I wasn't being heard. I hobbled to the exit and phoned a taxi to get home wondering if this is the kind of thing that has us being cynical about NSH targets. - Kerching!

So, am now, making an assumption that it is sprained and depending upon what I already know regarding how to deal with a sprain, what information I can find on the internet for confirmation and a mental reminder to get some oil of lavender and arnica, although it might be a tad late for use this time round.

Can I skip around today? Noooo. Still some swelling, bruising and very painful. Thankfully, not at work yesterday or today and the next 2 days are meetings. If still not able to put work boot on then that could be interesting..

Unfortunately it does nothing to restore faith in the health system when you leave, feeling like your imagination has run off with you and that swelling/ bruising/pain are all in the mind because it has been declared "fine". The annoyance is that I am reasonably intelligent and more than happy not to use drugs or avail myself of sick/fit notes but is it too much to ask to have them actually listen and take different working circumstances into consideration??

Now, where is my recipe book for making natural aids to healing......

Gladys
21-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh Shizara, you poor thing. I am cringing at this tale that is really about being left feeling 'dismissed' and a complete lack of 1-2-1 professionalism. How dreadfully low we have slid in fact it is a tale that I so often hear. I do think a trip to your nearest Walk-in-Centre ( or in your case; Hop-in-centre, Sorry it has to be said) may still be in order but sprains and strains are excruciating and often take several weeks before they are back to normal function. Regular doses of NSAIDs -health and other drug use permitting (these reduce inflammation when taken properly and regularly) coupled with doses of paracetamols will ease the situation. Oh and of course elevation between hopping around carefully. I'm sure it is already turning the most wonderful shades of blue/purple and green.

These are the minor Injuries Units in Warks:-
Minor Injuries Unit, Arden Street, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6NXTel: 01789 205 831 x 5270
Ellen Badger Community Hospital
(16.4 miles) Stratford Road, Shipston On Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 4AXTel: 01608 661 435
Fielding Palmer Hospital Gilmorton Road, Lutterworth, Leicestershire, LE17 4DZTel: 01455 552150
There are also Walk-in Centres.

Gladys
22-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Shizara, you said ' feeling more than a tad peculiar. ' Did you feel sick as in nauseated? This indicates that you may have fractured a bone. This could be a hairline crack at the simplest. If it was not X-Rayed you would not know and if you are that incapacitated, I really urge you to go to one of those M-I_Us.