PDA

View Full Version : Riot, 1960s Leamington

oldleamingtonhand
17-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I realise I'm appealing to the silver haired generation here, but does anyone remember or have any information about a disturbance which took place on a summer Friday evening, maybe in 1963 or 1964, outside Leamington Town Hall? I am pretty sure there was a band playing that night in the Town Hall, although they weren't called 'bands' in those days. I think the mini-riot was quite a ding-dong, as I remember it making national radio. It might have been Mods and Rockers, but I could be wrong.

Will
18-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Nothing I can find on the web relating to it. The only thing I can think of is to try the local newspapers and see if they have some archives you can sift though. I'm sure you've already thought of that though. Sorry I can't be more help then that. :(

fran
20-07-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't really remember that specific incident.. would the police have records do you think ? the Mods and Rockers were competing quite a lot I do Iremember.. there were incidents in Warwick in or outside the Cavalier and Market Square or the Globe. Often friction with groups from other towns. they spilled over to Stratford on occassion. It seemed that gangs turned up with some prior warning from Cheltenham (was one memorable 'do')

As for the Town Hall I remember going to a Screaming Lord Such 'gig'... about the time you mention. There were some good bands there and at the Chesford Grange... good times mostly.

The mods seemed to hang out at the Ilcador and the Rockers at the Tahiti... in Leamington..
'a silver haired child of the sixties'

Midfleet
27-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I realise I'm appealing to the silver haired generation here, but does anyone remember or have any information about a disturbance which took place on a summer Friday evening, maybe in 1963 or 1964, outside Leamington Town Hall? I am pretty sure there was a band playing that night in the Town Hall, although they weren't called 'bands' in those days. I think the mini-riot was quite a ding-dong, as I remember it making national radio. It might have been Mods and Rockers, but I could be wrong.Hi just found this a few years to late, but remember the incident like it was yesterday
The group playing at the Town Hall. Was the apple jacks there hit song was have I the right
The brawl outside was between a load of Coventry Rockers looking for Leamington mods, I was a mod and it lasted for about an Hour Leamington police had to bring in other police from out side area, but it was all hand bags and fists, all drinking again in same pubs the following week.

Regards
Midfleet

Margaret
27-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Hello Midfleet and welcome to WOL.
Thanks for furnishing us with your recollections of that historical event outside Leamington Town Hall.
Were the Apple Jacks an American group?
I grew up in the age of rivalry between Mods and Rockers, but that was in Scotland.
All the mods would congregate in Mary's Cafe, Dunfermline town, which was our favourite haunt at that time. They'd play all the favourite hits of 60's on the old dukebox, such wonderful memories.

:)

Midfleet
27-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi no apple jacks were from Birmingham

Midfleet
27-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Sorry apple jacks hit song was tell me when, on the same bill as them at the Town Hall was the Honeycombs, there hit was Have I the right to hold you, sorry about that, great days, other groups at the Town hall in the sixtys

The hollies,animals,Nashville teans, trogs, Gerry pacemakers, screaming lord such ,can't remember any more grey hair