PDA

View Full Version : Starlings over Stratford Upon Avon

Will
07-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Wanted to share this with you. I filmed these starlings from the roof of the multi story carpark on the gyratory road. I see them flocking at sunset over there when I'm at the gym, and I though I really needed to film them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQzEoFay7M

I actually wanted to film from the roof of the Leisure center, but as you can imagine the very thought of doing something which went against "health and safety" was a completely foreign concept to them. I also asked at the Holiday Inn, and the story was identical there, apart from the young lad at reception who went and asked for me, the look on his face told me that he didn't agree with the decision.

Finally I went to the building in between the two. Initially I went into one entrance, I can't remember the name of the company (not Knight Frank, it was on the other side of the buliding), I can't remember the name of the company, but the people in there were delightful and really enthusiastic that I wanted to film the Starlings, but unfortunately they didn't have access to the balconies, I need to ask Needham and James. So that's what I did, and ended speaking to a very patronising Scottish lady, who couldn't see what was in it for Needham and James. She said if I'd been with the Stratford Hearald they might have considered it, but because I was just doing this for myself they couldn't see what was in it for them. Clearly the idea of letting someone do something for free is lost on these people.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. It makes me sad to think that this is the kind of country we now live in.

Hope you enjoyed the video. :)

cathidaw
08-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks Will
I loved that film.and was almost hypnotised watching it. I have often thought that the birds themselves get into a hypnotic state at they swoop and curl.How otherwise could they be so graceful when there are so many together.
We don't see many starlings in the gardens now.People dont like them as they are so messy but I love to see them, pushing and crowding themselves out on my bird table (they love spaghetti by the way, and takeaways and chocolate buttons.)
I have some pigeons too which fledged from my trees last summer. Again they are not popular birds, but I have made a low ,wide table for them.They slide and fall off thetaller birdtable as they are so fat and heavy, whichis good as it leaves food for the smaller birds.

cathidaw
08-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Talking of birds---------
I have a cat aged 8 but she was a runt and is only the size of a large kitten. One day out of the corner of my eye I saw something big pass my window. Looking out- My cat was running around the garden and had a pigeon by its leg.
I quickly threw a cushion at it and the pigeon flew int the tree, ruffled but unharmed.
I dont know what the cat thought she was going to do with the bird-It was nearly twice the size of her.

Josie
10-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Firstly Will that video was great and I honestly cannot believe the people behaved like that about it! it just shows what people are like doesn't it really?

It is amazing how they manage to synchronize and look so well practised indeed - always amazes me no end!

As for the cat story - hehe I wonder what she thought she was going to do with it? Bet she felt really proud catching something so big though! Mine are always bringing in mice (eeeeeeeeeek) hate them! I have told them off several times and think it may have come to an end now! Or at least i hope so!

Will
20-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind critiques. It was really a pleasure to film them. If I ever get my hands on a HD camera and decent tripod, I'll go back and film them again.

I'm glad people find it relaxing to watch, as that was exactly the intention behind it. I'm a big fan of ambient music, and I have tons of CD and downloads. This particular track comes from http://www.sphericlounge.de which are a group of German artists who create hundreds of great pieces of music like the one in the video. I'm always keen to share this music with people. :)

Mellijelli
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Will

So sorry to here that people are so unaccommodating to you especially when you want to do something like this, why would everything have to revolve around "wots in it for me" takes nothing to do a good deed for someone, especially something so innocent as filming starlings, oh well its a great vid, maybe you should submit it to one of the wild life tv shows or something :)

Will
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Will

So sorry to here that people are so unaccommodating to you especially when you want to do something like this, why would everything have to revolve around "wots in it for me" takes nothing to do a good deed for someone, especially something so innocent as filming starlings, oh well its a great vid, maybe you should submit it to one of the wild life tv shows or something :)

I'd like to do that actually, do you know of any programs that accept amateur footage? Although I am a professional cameraman, the equipment I used was most definitely amateur. :)

The worst part about Needham and James is there was plenty in it for them. It would have made more people aware of their company, and also shown that they are a genuinely nice and helpful company, and it would have been a bit of free publicity for them, no mattter how small. However, instead they've come across as a short-sighted and selfish company.

Shizara
09-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Sometimes I wonder if "It's against Health and Safety" is trundled out to sound a plausible reason why something isn't to be done and the reason is all tied up around money in some way, shape or form. Either because if someone gets hurt the blame factor kicks in, it becomes someone else's fault and they will be sued with the objective being money, or on the other hand, as in this instance, it is perceived to be a situation whereby a company can't see any financial benefit in it for themselves, which, as Will rightly pointed out, is very short sighted thinking on their part because it would have been not only free advertising but, I feel, positive advertising.

Nature in itself is a symphony for restoring the soul, so to speak, if people stop long enough to take in and appreciate the displays that are there and free for us to enjoy. The seasonal changes, sunrises and sunsets and the behaviour of our wildlife. Will's video is a wonderful example of nature's displays. Just like an orchestral arrangement the birds fly as a united body, each with a part to play.

The ambient music is like the icing on the cake. You are mesmerised by the waves and patterns of the birds and music flows over and around you. I have watched the video many times and never tire of it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Mellijelli
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi again Will

Iv had a look around for you and found 2 websites that could benefit you they are both american but im sure that is not a problem, the first is Amateur Wildlife filming Netowrk (http://www.awfnet.com/competitions/Video-Competition), they have Wildlife Video Competitions that take place every three months and are open to AWFN members only, so i think you could probably register and become a member on the site, and they accept video footage from all around the world which is nice.

Then there is this one Animal Behavior Society (ABS) Film Festival (http://animalbehaviorsociety.org/absfilm)

They have their 26th Annual Animal Behavior Film Festival going on. The festival will be held during the 47th Annual meeting of the Animal Behavior Society at The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, on July 31st 2010.

Let me know if you find any of these useful

Will
14-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow, thank you so much for looking into that for me Mell!

They are both very useful, I'll take a look at the and see if they'd be interested in watching. That's kind of you to go to all that trouble. I'll keep you updated on how it works out. ;)

Will
14-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Sometimes I wonder if "It's against Health and Safety" is trundled out to sound a plausible reason why something isn't to be done and the reason is all tied up around money in some way, shape or form. Either because if someone gets hurt the blame factor kicks in, it becomes someone else's fault and they will be sued with the objective being money, or on the other hand, as in this instance, it is perceived to be a situation whereby a company can't see any financial benefit in it for themselves, which, as Will rightly pointed out, is very short sighted thinking on their part because it would have been not only free advertising but, I feel, positive advertising.

Nature in itself is a symphony for restoring the soul, so to speak, if people stop long enough to take in and appreciate the displays that are there and free for us to enjoy. The seasonal changes, sunrises and sunsets and the behaviour of our wildlife. Will's video is a wonderful example of nature's displays. Just like an orchestral arrangement the birds fly as a united body, each with a part to play.

The ambient music is like the icing on the cake. You are mesmerised by the waves and patterns of the birds and music flows over and around you. I have watched the video many times and never tire of it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Thank you for such an inspiring response Shiz. You've taken everything out of it I wanted people to get. Like I think I said before, sometimes something just makes so much sense that I have to do it. I'm thrilled it's given you and others as much pleasure as it has done for me.

Mellijelli
23-04-2010, 10:38 AM
No trouble at all Will glad to help out wherever i can :) Sorry i took so long to reply iv not had time to check my forum lately, have had some ups and downs in the work place, company not doing so well, re-located so had to get my daughter into a school, thats still going on so its been a bit hectic :p and please do keep us up-to-date with new vids or happenings.

cathidaw
24-04-2010, 03:11 AM
=""]last year we watched as two wood pigeons fledged from a nest in one of my evergreens.

(See the two things I wrote at the beginning of this thread--in October and March-)

-They were so large and wobbled about on a nearby acacia branch, falling off whilst the the parent coo=d franticly until they got the hang of it. I really thought they would swoop low across the road and be hit by a a car--
They stayed all winter. I fed them and now they fly around my garden-or plod up and down like 2 old men- in spite of the cat.
When I get up in the morning , if I clap my hands they fly down on to the top of my big swing, their heads on one side watching for me---and the cat..
They now love cake and spaghetti, baked beans, stuffing balls, and cold chips....and of course chocolate buttons.
many people dont like them in the garden, but they are beautiful creatures, and I've got quite attached to them.
I'm hoping for others this year