PDA

View Full Version : flooding in Leamington spa

matg85
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to Leamington spa and wanted to know a bit from the locals about which bits of the town have flooded in the past and which parts are at risk of flooding? Also how often and how bad has the river flooded?

I'm a bit probably overally paranoid about my large collection of hard to replace vinyl records and also my studio equipment basically.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanxs

Matt

Shizara
06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I honestly don't know about Leamington Spa but am sure we have members that can offer some advice. Very likely it is like Nuneaton in that years ago it apparently used to flood really badly, but the river was routed through pipes and built over. Doesn't appear to be an issue anymore.

david
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Well I've only lived in Leamington for just over 4 years, but it seems that it's on a bit of a hill anyway so other than the bottom end of town near the river and the Emscote Road on the way to Warwick, I think you'd generally be okay.

Beware of the flats near the river on the way out of Leam to Warwick, they built them on a flood plain, which is a bit foolish.

Shizara
06-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Were they working on the "once in every hundred years" theory, thinking it won't happen in the lifetime of the current generation?

the8thavatar
15-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Make use of this, which gives you useful maps of known flooding extents and what protections exist:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk
You can also purchase a flood risk report (doesn't cost much) which will give you more detail. Seriously consider doing this if you are buying a house and your environmental search results indicate potential flood risk.