PDA

View Full Version : THE HERBERT Art GALLERY (and a rant.)

cathidaw
06-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Once again we have problems with one of our largest and expensive new buildings.The Herbert is cutting staff and opening times and may have to resort to charging people to use it when it is open..Also the building is (apparently) shoddily built, with (now) leaking roofs and sagging floors, and doors that don't shut properly.. As for being green -the heat is escaping from all over the building like from a colander and costing the earth to keep even comfortably warm.
I get so angry about this spending as if there is no thought for tomorrow. The new Jerde complex will go ahead although there is no money Once more we have too large a building scheme for the sake of it and not for the sake of the people. -they just borrow more and more at extortionat rates. Our glorious new hospital-massive and state of the art --but never big enough for patients in emergencies, patients are shipped willy nilly around the area, and further. all around the country. The baby units-- why are there never enough special care cots? The place is big enough, and plenty of trained staff willing to get back to work. Too much is spent on buildings and not enough on people.
The goverment sets us a great example I must say.- If you're broke, shut your eyes and borrow, even if you can't pay it back.
We were once taught to cut our coats according the the cloth we had.
One never hears the demeaning words 'hire purchase' nowadays either. The new jolly trend, if the programmes I see on the television are anything to go by, is to pay a little every week-just like that- (say it brightly standing in front of the new sofa/washer/bigger screen wotsit, with kids smiling gaily in the backgroung holding the latest electronic toy)-and have what you want don't wait for it. All those gadgets the kids want, dont make the poor things wait 'til you can afford it- buy them before they grow up deprived and traumatised.

Gladys
08-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Cathidaw, I take on board the angst with this except, please excuse my ignorance but what and who is /was The ' Herbert' Gallery? After whom was or is it named? I have an interest in people called Herbert as they are a branch of my family who merged with Hankins from Hereford but ended up in NZ and NSW Australia. Any info will be gratefully received especially from my cousin in Melbourne.

cathidaw
10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Sir Alfred HERBERT WAS ONE OF cOVENTRY'S FAMOUS BENEFACTORS
started Alfred Herbert Machine tool factory which was world widely known. The a.h. WEBSTE WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING. The A.H art gallery was opened in the 30s and a new one built in the 50s. But of course now it has been extended and rebuilt at great cost. Even if the faults are remedied, they will not be able to afford to keepit open all the time and will charge admission.
The new hospital-----Well yesterday we were told that itvalued at only one eighth of the cost of building It does not belong to the people but to a trust which takes all the profits. The loans from these trusts will not be paid off until 30 years time and it still will not belong to Coventry.They dictate the car parks fees WHICH ARE OUTRAGEOUS.
And of course the people who agreed this deal have left will mega golden handshake and possibly have gone to play with another city's finances and mess them up too,and then leave with another G.Handshake.

A little tale. Up in the wilds of Cyprus some where in the Troodos mountain-and miles from anywhere.My son and I came across a couple of derelict vehicles.Just the framework and enginethe rest had rusted away.We poked around -as one does--doesn't one?,and there was an Alfred Herbert metal plate attached to the bits of the engine which were left. Made in Coventry, it said.dated some time in the 50s. We took photos.I tried to get the plate off but for some reason I hadn't got a screwdriver in my bag.

cathidaw
10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Sorry I didn't explain.
The Herbert is The Herbert art gallery in Coventry. Named after Sir Alfred Herbert who was agreat benifactor in Coventry. He started the big Alfred Herbert macine tool Compa-now gone .Created a beautiul Garden in Coventry centre in memory of his wife and many other things.Try the web-just type in Alfred Herbert, The A,H. website is interesting.
We have had a A.H gallery since 1930s. The new on one built in 50s 0r 60s has been enlarged and extended at exhorbitant cost, as I have said. Even if the faults are remedied, we can't afford it.