PDA

View Full Version : Good property management company?

leecovuk
09-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Hello,

The chances of getting any suitable replies to this might be low, but I suppose it's worth a go.

Do you, reading this, have current experience of a good property management company in the Coventry area? You may, for example, be a tenant or landlord of a flat where the communal building is managed.

By 'good', I mean the company is responsive to problems and repairs and deals with them promptly.

I currently rent a flat where the building is managed by the Coventry office of Cartwright Marston, and the service is very poor.

Many thanks,
Lee

leecovuk
10-01-2010, 06:56 PM
i know a couple of people who rent so i'll ask around
ok, thanks covkimbo, and anybody else.

Lee

Gladys
11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I know of a Landlord from whom NOT to rent. I'm not sure if putting his name on the site is 'PC' so I haven't but PM me and I'll tell you. I'm in Dispute with him on behalf of my son who was in a shared student house owned by this individual. (Of £285 paid by me as a damage deposit he returned £104 and had his bathroom refurbished and the kitchen replastered because the plumbing from the bathroom above it leaked and left water damage- all of this off the back of the tenants. He then also charged us for clearing and cleaning the house much of which was plaster dust etc from the builders when we did the lion's share of it.) I'm disputing the return of the damage deposit through The Government's Dispute facility so do make sure that where ever and from who ever you rent that your Tenancy is protected through one of the Government Protection schemes.

leecovuk
11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Hello Gladys,

Indeed, penalising the tenant for damage caused by somebody else is blatently taking the mickey. That landlord is obviously wanting to get the work done 'for free'.

Lee

Gladys
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello Gladys,

Indeed, penalising the tenant for damage caused by somebody else is blatently taking the mickey. That landlord is obviously wanting to get the work done 'for free'.

Lee
Yes, Lee- that's the bloke. Bodge it and scarper did the work and he is a grab it and leggit merchant. He also 'disposed' of my son's bike which we'd asked him to keep hold of until we could return with a larger car to take it back in. He didn't so much as notify us he had 'cleared' it but just returned the £104 1+ month later.(Again, this is outside the Law)

cathidaw
12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
We had lots of problems when my son was at university. Mostly because the landlords said they had done damage or the carpets didn't look brand new any more.
I could never understand why ,if you rent a house one has to pay for normal wear and tear, not damage , but normal. After living in a house for 2 years and being careful tenants, most landlords want the house back as they found it. That's what the extortionate rents are supposed to cover.We've had landlords who wanted the whole house redecorated including theoutside doors.before they would return the deposit-not just professionally cleaned. One house in Coventry was infested with slugs-big fat ones, which came out at night.so the girl said she would move out as the landlord wouldn't do anything about it.When she went he wouldn't give her the deposit because the walls and carpets etc, were covered in snail trails.
Luckily the university made him pay and took him off their list, which hurt as he had a lot more houses rented out.
Eventually my son and daughter bought a 5 bedroom house-in Newcastle, and treated the tenants respectfully.When they left the university up there to get work we let it out to more students. It was a large house and the only problem we had at first was some of them leaving bikes in the very large hall and scoring the wall,so we put a panel on the wall for the handlebars to rest on.there was no-wher else to leave bikes safely.
Luckily one of the residents in the street offered to caretake it for us and it worked well, aand phone me if there was a problem.he also did repairs.

The biggest mistake of all was letting it out to someone on the social services.
She trashed it in a week and went.
After that it was ok and I went up every 5 or 6 weeks to check and see if they had any problems.
This doesn't answer your own problem, but if you can get a private let perhaps you could get someone locally for a small cost to caretake the house durin term time.
From my experience since then agents are only good for collecting money, and don't really care .

Gladys
12-01-2010, 07:18 AM
My son's bike never came inside. It was padlocked to a pillar at the side of the house so damage from it wasn't an issue. I think what you say, Cathidaw highlights the good landlord verses the bad one. My son was for several weeks, the only tenant in the property because the 3 girls who had been there at the beginning left to go back to halls. So the landlord was having a battle with them leaving before they should with the subsequent return of their damage deposits leaving him out of pocket. They left loads of stuff behind- too much money and no sense. We cleared all of that away. The man just didn't see that he was not a favourable arrangement and lost out due to this. I don't have money to throw away, otherwise, I would have taken my son out and sent him back to Halls too. This landlord obviously still hasn't seen it- an empty house or one where there is a frequent thru put of people does suggest a problem; him and his greed.

cathidaw
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
It was my son's girlfriend who lived in the house with slugs. She left her bike chained to the metal gate post. In the morning both wheels had gone plus bell and basket.
That was in Coventry.

Gladys
13-01-2010, 03:07 PM
' In the morning both wheels had gone plus bell and basket.
That was in Coventry.' I know a man with a bike intact lurking somewhere all over Warickshire. :D
The postie brought confrmation today of the Damage Deposit people saying the process is now in place and they have notified the landlord. He now has 20 days to respond or otherwise !!!! Failure to do so means they will deal with the matter- fingers crossed. I'll keep you all informed. I'm also letting the Uni know they should avoid providing any of his property details to students.