PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas

Josie
24-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi All

Just thought Id pop in quickly and say Merry Christmas to you all :D Hope you havre a good one and I hope you all get what you wished for x x x

Josie
29-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey guys - with all the festivities over i thought Id see how it went for you all?

Ours was good, the whole family came together at mums and we had tonnes of foooooood and pressies :D Oh and not forgetting the booze :grouphug: It was great!

Now its all about new years - what do you all have planned?

cathidaw
29-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I had a lovely Christmas day. Boxing day I slipped on ice and ended up in the circus which was Horton Hosiptal A&E. in Banbury.Iwould guess that there were between 40-50 people waiting.
I was told that waiting time was 4-5 hours-but only after (1) an x ray,and (2)after seeing a a doctor ,Then I'd get treatment. I was there for over 2 hours and .. .I hadn't seen anyone- So we drove down to Oxford general-waiting time was to be 3-4 hours there. BUT some how I managed to get seen privately-too confusing to say how-and was seen within 20 mins.
I had dislocated my shoulder-agony- but knew that this has to be done within2 hours or it can be a lifelong problem in most cases.(I was a nurse)
By then it was 6 hours since it happened so I was worried, but it was done and on my way home 2 hours later.I'm ok but can't drive for 3 weeks.
If I had stayed in Horton I would still have been waiting at 7 oclock.
It will cost me a packet.so it's beans for me for the next few months.
How is it that in winter boxing day and with all the ice around there were only 2 doctors on duty and maybe one radiologist. They must know the departments will be busy but still have skeleton staff. It's inhuman.
-Some people were bleeding, some on stretchers-even one man with a pacemaker which had gone wrong-he'd been waiting over 2 hours when I arrived.
A cold drinks machine-nowhere to get change -nowhere to lie down.
Disgraceful. Where does our money go? Most on admin and top jobs- the rest on posh palace like new buildings we cannot afford.
No money left to pay extra staff The patients appear to enter the equation as an afterthought.
Certainly not like Holby on TV where everyone is rushing about playing doctors and nurses and doing their job.

I know we hear wonderful reports of miracular treatments and lives saved every day but when it comes to the masses the whole system is lacking.

Josie
30-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Aaaaah Cathidaw I hope your ok? It sounds awful to have gone through all that and had to wait around for so long as well!

Its madness isn't it? The NHS does seem to fail in certain areas and in your case it seems to be one of them! Your right about the money though - it probably all does go on top jobs etc..... They should have been prepared at this time of year as it is when most of the s*** hits the fan!

Gladys
05-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Cathidaw- poor you but what a poor show the NHS put on for you too. I'm appalled. In my experience in Hospitals at Christmas time, they try to get as many 'in'patients home for the main day anyway and then acute areas can focus on acute work. From what you have described it would seem that they got most staff home for the main day and the public thruput was left impatient :( Play on words I might but that is just unacceptable. Why don't you write to the Hospitals concerned, copy it to your MP and make them qualify why you were in that position and to get the treatment you required had to 'buy' it? They will have to reply with a factual response. I do hope you mend well and now you are not suffering with that injury.:)

cathidaw
05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
tHANK YOU gLADYS.
You are kind
I have already written to the chief executive with more or less what you said and also to the MP--enclosing a S.A.E.
I'm not used to sitting around- I like to go out but now I am grounded as it were, I have done lots of unfinished tasks. Letters, sewing to finish off, lots of writing-tidying up--altho' thats difficult as I make a mess tidying up! Too much 'stuff'
I want to finish a couple of painting I started ages ago.
I can use my hand but not lift up my arm-so I'm luckyand the indigo 9" briuse on my thigh has fade d to quite a nice rainbowy colour.
Thanks again

Gladys
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
tHANK YOU gLADYS.
You are kind
I have already written to the chief executive with more or less what you said and also to the MP--enclosing a S.A.E.

Cathidaw, I'd also send a copy to the Health Minister. They're all too busy talking about the cost of the NHS but do not seem to be addressing the reality which sadly you had to experience; poor staffing. Except I know they are not that really badly staffed, just badly rostered or not organised. There was a massive recruitment drive in the 1990s and they've concocted the fast track Dr training to help speed up the availability of albeit newly qualified Drs- so where are they? I do know that there is a lack of experienced staff 'inhouse' to support the Newbies and as a result some Newbies have rethought their career plans and opted to do something less scarey. Those who've stuck at it are often overstretched and doing work they should really have experienced staff helping them to learn it 'on the job'. One thing that hasn't changed is that there are too many managers all languishing 9-5 Monday to Friday or in bad weather 'working from home' making all of these fabulous cost saving decisions on staffing levels for example. Do they turn up, roll sleeves up and get stuck in when the conditions demand? In my day many did; these days not often. Gladys is now getting off her soap box!
Enjoy painting, sewing etc. Sometimes whilst a jolly nuissance, illness can be useful. Perhaps this will give you an opportunity to do something you've put off for too long. Take care. :)

cathidaw
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
You're right Gladys--I've taken all you say to heart. It's quite true, there are plenty of staff, but not organised. In the old days a hospital could call on most of the staff in emergencies. many lived in, but when they were there they pulled together ,didn't take long tea breaks -they got the work done.
Let me give an example of caring doctors.
In November I accompanied someone to see a consultant at George El;iot Hospital. appointed time was to be 2.10. Arriving at 2 p.m we were sent to the waiting room. the only people there.The door was open and a group of nurses and doctors in the corridor were discussing what they were going to do at the weekend.
At 2.55, one of them said "Well ladies, I'd better get to work"
She came in and called my friend's name.
We should have said something I know but friend 'didn't like to'
Bring back the matrons.

However Happy New Year to everyone.
I must see what our old crone is up to.
I miss her.

I've just won 20 rolls of colour film in a writing competition.

Gladys
08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Bring back the matrons.

However Happy New Year to everyone.
I must see what our old crone is up to.
I miss her.

I've just won 20 rolls of colour film in a writing competition.

Oh Dear, the soap box has rolled itself out again, please excuse me all but.. Cathidaw, this stupid Government was 'duped' us into bringing back 'matrons' as another way of addressing the NHS dreadfuls. They asked the public what they believed was wrong with our hospitals and in 'our innocence' (?spelling -sorry)we said 'Bring back the matron'. They did so but forgot to rearrange the structure of the management and the many tiers of them that we now have several matrons and many layers of managers. We only need one Matron per hospital who is accountable as a trained nurse and then a few managers relevant to each specialty who answers to her/him. No one now takes any responsibility for any wrong in the hospital setting- it is all corporate- no one does, can or will do. That is the problem. Ask who is in charge and some nurse may arrive saying I am but she will not be the person you send your Thanks to or the Complaint to. I have to say, if you send Thanks she will get it but she will not get the complaint. :) I'm gald you were eventually sorted out but what rubbish you went through. Take Care. xx I'm off the box-phew I hate heights!
That old crone - well what a mess, I agree I miss her too so we really should try to sort her out. The only thing is she seems to be growing more and more like me!!!!
Get the pickies of the hospitals' A&Es especially- do some journalistic record stuff- that will get them into shape. I would,I wish I were closer because I'd join you at it. I'm neither safe or mobile at the moment but would if I could.(I have leg disability following a fall 10 years ago and slipping in this stuff will leave me in a wheelchair which I would rather avoid)