PDA

View Full Version : Are Jobs in nursing under too much pressure these days?

Josie
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I was just wondering the other day – After my sister had her baby last week and about the aftercare she received in Maternity! Here goes;

She went into the labour ward Tuesday evening and had the best midwife and team we could have ever possibly imagined – I actually thought this is what its about, brilliant care and attention, perfect support for her and us! Yes they took it as part of their jobs (http://www.careers-jobs.eu/) to support the family as well!

Then Baby Isabella was born Weds am, it was not an easy birth and left my sister in a bit of a state! She was moved down to Maternity! We were not allowed to visit her here till later that day so we left and went to do a few bits!

So bearing in mind that we left her at midday and got back at about 6pm nothing was said or done with her in this time! No one came to see her, check her or the baby or anything! I was appalled! So I went to look for help and got told by two different people that her own midwife (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwifery) had to see her! So we waited and by the time I left at 8 no one had appeared to do this job yet!

She said the little one started crying in the night and she could barely move to pick her up so she buzzed for help! The midwife that was on duty then came and told her to keep the baby in her bed attached to her breast? How is this right!? What are jobs in nursing (http://www.careers-jobs.eu/healthcare/nursing-jobs) coming to these days?

The morning shift change came around again and she got told off for doing this! I mean how much conflicting information can you give to a new first time mother?

She did not get the appropriate after care and support that she needed! We were appalled and shocked at this! They were also meant to monitor the baby’s heart beat through out the night as well and this was not done either?

Sorry about the long rant but it was just so shocking I had to get it out! I mean how much worse would you expect those in these jobs of support to behave! It was awful! Especially to someone who had been through a long and complicated birth! I just wanted to know – is this normal for those in hospital jobs?

Gladys
02-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Sadly Josie, standards are not what they should be. This is a very bad start for your Sister and her little Isabella, Thankfully they have both come through without the help they should have received. I think conflict in care and advice is rather too frequent in Midwifery especially I have noticed. Let's just say that your sister will quickly learn her role as a Mum and she'll do very well with the help from her supportive family.

Josie
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Sadly Josie, standards are not what they should be. This is a very bad start for your Sister and her little Isabella, Thankfully they have both come through without the help they should have received. I think conflict in care and advice is rather too frequent in Midwifery especially I have noticed. Let's just say that your sister will quickly learn her role as a Mum and she'll do very well with the help from her supportive family.

I know tell me about it I was so shocked when she told me all of this! Its so bad! New mothers are delicate enough emotionally without having thier heads messed around while still in hospital!

she was supposed to stay in for 2-3 days but insisted on coming home after the first night because of how bad it all was!

Oh and to top it off the midwife that pops around after the birth has been twice and my sister said she is alwys so rushed she never feels she can ask her anything! I think thats terrible too!

Luckily she has my mum and various other relatives she can ring everytime she has a question or she would go nuts!

Poor thing- needless to say Isabella and her are forming thier own pattern and getting on with it quite well! I spent the whole weekend in London with her and am going back on Friday again. Its so amazing having a new baby in the family :D