PDA

View Full Version : How easy isit to get a Job?

Marcey
15-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I wanted to discuss with people, how easy they think getting a job is now.

A friend of mine was made redundant in August and have been temping since, the main reason for them temping is because that seems to be the easiest option at the moment employers don't want to be spending to much, this also then means they don’t have to commit themselves financially for a long period.

There are benefits to temping for both the employee and the employer.
For the Employer this means they don't have to put you on the books, therefore holiday pay isn't something they would pay.
There are also no contract ties, if they only want someone for a short while and it doesn't actually work out there is no commitment tied in.

For the employee this gives them allot of flexibility, again they don’t have to commit to this job.
It’s also a huge benefit in the sense that they are able to gain skills and knowledge fast.
Temping doesn't restrict you to one area you can quite easily be moved around to carry out different jobs (http://www.careers-jobs.eu/).
And lastly there is always a possibility that a temp job can turn into a permanent job.

She said she has used both job boards and recruitment agencies (http://www.agencycentral.co.uk/) however I find agencies more affective. It’s nice to go in and talk to them face to face.

Then again with job boards its quite satisfying appling for a vast amount of jobs.

Is any body else experiencing difficulty in finding a new job?

cathidaw
15-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Hallo Marcy.............
Read my other rants about jobcentres.
Joke centers most of them.
My friend had a letter saying that she was not eligable for jobseekers allowance as she had not paid tax for the last 2 years even tho'the evidence was there ---for 10 years.......they got her mixed up with someone else"but there is nothing we can do about it -go to your MP."

Then they admitted they had lost them, but still go to your MP.

Anyone out there frequenting these establishments be warned........

When they ask for proof that you have applied for at least 3 jobs in any one week, PLEASE don't take proof of more than 3--it clogs up the system and anyway there is no more room on the form, and Extra bits of paper fastened to the form gives them palpitationsand they have to go and lie down in a darkened room-and keep you waiting until they have recovered and you've missed your bus.

Also be warned..... If you do any voluntary work , that day will be deducted from your JS allowance -even if you can scoot off at the drop of a hat.

Remember, if you have no job-you are a criminal, and the Jobsworths at the Jobcentre are not, they have job, so they are superior.
Don't, whatever you do, argue the toss about anything.
You will be sent home like a naughty child and asked to come for an interview when you get a phone call or letter from them.
They can't give you a date while you are there -(not in the JS handbook book) You must wait at home every day. The letter or phone call will never come, but when you enqire at the jobcentre they will swear that you did get it so can't have any money. You must go home again and wait for a phone call........................NOW you understand the system ?
Maybe thats why more people are coming off benefits.

Me cynical----------never.

Josie
16-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Haha Cathidaw I love it and its so true to form that really there is nothing left to add there!

They are useless at helping in any way manner or form - will most of the time insist you do some useless course to get you out of the way for a few weeks and then go back to doing NOTHING for you!

I wonder how the people that work in thw job centre get thier jobs? Its crazy! I mean I swear I was more wualified than them when i was 18! :p

Marcey - as for your question the simple answer is that there are for candidates than jobs out there at the moment and this is causing problems for those looking for work!

Imagine the number of applications that each job has, its very hard and competitive! Unless your friend has something that makes her stand out from the crowd then unfortunately its a case of waiting until the right thing comes up! Its hard but at least she is able to get temp work and keep going - and definetly dont turn to job centres for help haha!

Josie
19-10-2009, 10:18 AM
That's the option I went for as well. When I got back from backpacking last summer, I quickly realised that finding a permanent job was basically a fruitless task, and started taking temporary jobs. At the last company I worked for, they said they were really happy with my work & offered me a permanent contract. :)

Thats brilliant Lex and it is definately a way in to a company whereby if they like you enough they will take you on full time! Are you still in that job then?

Marcey
19-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Read my other rants about jobcentres.
Joke centres most of them.

Great take on Jobcentres!! haha

That's another thing in my book of "things I'd like to know" - who does employ for the Job Centre? And how on earth do they get the job?

It should be in their best interest to help get people back into work - if its not why would you work their!!??

I don't want to sympathise with them however I can imagine their frustrations with some of the people they are seeing daily (I doubt I need to give you a description)

I also think the same about the Connexions Careers Advice people. When my niece was at college we thought they were absolutely useless!! And it's there job to aid in student’s next step after school and college...

Josie
21-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Great take on Jobcentres!! haha

That's another thing in my book of "things I'd like to know" - who does employ for the Job Centre? And how on earth do they get the job?

It should be in their best interest to help get people back into work - if its not why would you work their!!??

I don't want to sympathise with them however I can imagine their frustrations with some of the people they are seeing daily (I doubt I need to give you a description)

I also think the same about the Connexions Careers Advice people. When my niece was at college we thought they were absolutely useless!! And it's there job to aid in student’s next step after school and college...

As far as I am concerned not to be rude or anything byut they are all a load of crap lol!

Most of the poeple that hire people to work there probably want to hire people just like thremselves so that thier laziness does not become obvious by a good employee actually being hired to work at the job centre or connexions - shock horror :yikes: they would all be seriously shown up! Haha!

They remind me of the people that work in council offices too - they have the 'can't be bothered' monotone attitude! I hate it!

They are just like yes, yes yes fill this in, fill that in and now wait... Blah blah blah you never actually get an answer do you?

Josie
27-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, I'm still there - done 6 months now, temping & permanent. It's great to have some stability. Ok, I'm completley over qualified for the job, but getting a job at all currently is a bonus. :D

Agreed -a regular pay cheque far outweighs the rest right now :)

Gladys
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
let's see what happens after the election. I heard on the radio just now that one of the contenders?which one is saying that if his party gets in they are going to get everyone a job, they'll allow a 6 month period of unemplyment and then they'll get the person a job but if they refuse they'll stop all benefits. This has chilling undertones to it. Communism springs to mind!!! Oh, it must have been Gordon Brown speaking, no wonder I didn't listen very hard. Another Nannystate rule. Don't get me wrong, I think we all need to work to fullfill our own potential as human beings but it has to be work that fits the person and vice versa. Otherwise it may become soul destroying and eventually will affect health and relationships. If a person is unemployed through no fault of his own, then he has already earnt to allow for a period to get back on track. He or she shouldn't be penalised for it and then railroaded into work for the sake of the state. Perhaps the state should look at the people it is allowing in to make up the numbers. Perhaps we have too many numbers- that's what jobcenters seem to look at- numbers and they make you feel as though you are just another number. I went to one once with my son when he'd finished college and that made me decide there and then he wasn't joining up!!! I could go on and on with this but I won't. Longterm unemployed or rather the 'professional' or serial unemployed are the people who need shaking up. Those people who have never worked and don't intend to either. The ones who seem to have all the modcons, a car, new clothes, go on holidays and numerous children, those who don't pay for this and that but get them anyway and then because they know the system dodge the bills and the bailiffs; they are the people I think about. It is these people who make our bills more to compensate for their nonpayment. Oh ,them and the serial insurance claimants. As for honest hard working people who work to pay their way and expect no more than they put in- we're a dying breed.

Josie
21-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree with you there Lex! Some people just don't want to work and there should be somthing in place which ensures they can't sit around on thier behinds long-term! Its a strain on the tax payer as far as I am concerned!

cathidaw
24-04-2010, 02:50 AM
As I have said before, the job centres have much to answer for although Imust admit many don't want to work.

My grandson has been looking for part time work-having been made reduntant from his othe part time job.
He was sent for a job in a service station on the M40 . He went to see the place--- refused it as it was miles away and would cost him as much in fuel as the pittance paid.
. He is 19 but didn't mind the unsociable hours or the journey. He had travelled to his other job with a fashion clothing shop 45 minutes each way 3 times a week, and worked 9 or 10 hours a day but the money was good and he could afford it.
They have now stopped his jobseekers allowance. How pathetic are they.
The family have just moved to Stratford upon Avon so is looking there He will go to university in September, so needs the money.

Josie
29-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I can't believe they stopped his benefits and yet there are all these people out there that are on benefits for years and years with no intention of working! Its awful!