PDA

View Full Version : Could women be the key to creating Warwickshire jobs?

Emily-O
24-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I have started reading into the local area's news and what is going on. I found one article that really stood out and thought I would share:

Are there still stereotypes and gender divides when it comes to the workplace? After a European Commission event (http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/business-news/uk-coventry-business-news/2009/07/23/unleash-the-power-of-wonder-women-92746-24222455/) was held, one speaker urges the West Midlands and Warwickshire to unleash the full potential of women and to get them into senior roles. Apparently unequal pay, prejudice and stereotypes are still holding women back from senior positions in the business world. I know that unequal pay is still a problem. I think men are more inclined to ask for a pay rise, and also negotiate the figure whereas women are not so forward. For me personally I know that verbal recognition alone is pleasing!

Sometimes I think discrimination can be unconscious and can be a very tough issue to tackle. Discrimination in any form is incredibly hard to prove – so how can we stop it from happening? Nameless CVs?

Can you imagine how the local (and the whole) economy would benefit if the same amount of women started up businesses as men? There would be, on average, 15 000 extra start ups resulting in thousands of Warwickshire jobs (http://www.careers-jobs.eu/warwickshire-jobs)!! Do you think women have the confidence to go and fulfil senior roles or become their own boss? Starting up your own company must be a daunting idea – and a very risky one at the moment!

Will
25-07-2009, 11:06 AM
You know something. I think you might be on to something with the nameless CV idea. It would cost a bit of money - but probably less then is being spent on enforcing "positive discrimination" at the moment. The idea is that you have a "Job seekers reference number" instead. That way the best people are called forward for an interview.

After an interview, it's much harder to justify why you turned someone down without good reason. It's a simple idea and I think it could work!

Shizara
25-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Maybe the nameless CV idea could be carried a step further.. Ageless. So that the age of a person is of less importance than the ability to do the job. Too often, people are passed over because the age doesn't fit the image they like to be portraying.

Emily-O
27-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Nameless CVs was an idea put forward by a Lib Dem. There are positives and negatives with it but I thought it would be a good idea. If it breaks down the barriers to get an interview I cannot complain! With regards to ageless I don't think you have to include your DOB on CVs anymore but they are still on application forms. If the ideas could be forwarded on to application forms it really may tackle discrimination.

I totally agree with your points on age discrimination. The government are really focusing on young people (and I fully understand why) but older individuals can be discriminated against too. I don't really hear of much being done for older people - does anyone here know of anything being done to help older people?
My mum was almost made redundant from a company she has been with for 15 years! She didn't really know where to go or what to do and probably could have benefitted from some career advice. Thankfullly she was managed to be relocated but not everyone is that lucky!!!

Josie
27-07-2009, 12:54 PM
That to me in some sense seems like a brilliant idea! I mean so many people that could be great for a job get passed over because of gender or age!

I think the details that you are judged on should be professional not personal you know?

As far as I am aware there aren't many things being dsone for older people out of work at the moment! It does all seem to be concentrated on the young, graduates and school leavers which is a bit unfair really! The help should be distrubuted evenly for all! But then again that might be asking too much hehe!

cathidaw
27-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I am not usually pessimistic
In fact I'd say 'never ' until this instant.
I cannot see how our Gordon can tell all these redundant people to look for jobs-or retrain. Retrain for what?
I know 3 people who have retrained in different careers twice, and another 3 times. All are are back to square one.What price a c.v? with or without a name.
And what a cost to the country.
I read every day for example---3,000 people made redundant -5,000 teenagers leaving school, 4,000 graduates all looking for jobs.With all these places of work closing what happens next.
The jobcentres have no more jobs than are advertised in the local paper
Afriend of mine down south told me that at their local jobcentre one of the staff agreed that they now only a means testing centre.

I think I'll go now to look at and smell the flowers in my garden and soothe my brain.

Josie
28-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I am not usually pessimistic
In fact I'd say 'never ' until this instant.
I cannot see how our Gordon can tell all these redundant people to look for jobs-or retrain. Retrain for what?
I know 3 people who have retrained in different careers twice, and another 3 times. All are are back to square one.What price a c.v? with or without a name.
And what a cost to the country.
I read every day for example---3,000 people made redundant -5,000 teenagers leaving school, 4,000 graduates all looking for jobs.With all these places of work closing what happens next.
The jobcentres have no more jobs than are advertised in the local paper
Afriend of mine down south told me that at their local jobcentre one of the staff agreed that they now only a means testing centre.

I think I'll go now to look at and smell the flowers in my garden and soothe my brain.

Its true though isn't it! Realistically what are you supposed to do?

Why not follow the americands and not let anyone in until things stabilise so jobs primarily go to those who live here? I know its sounds harsh but it may be one way to do things????

Two of my friends are trying to get into the US, two completely different situations;

1. His fiancee is a US citizen and studying medicine over there, two years left on her course! Met while he was working there two years ago! Tried to go over now his current contract here is finished and he cannot get a working visa or a visa to stay as they are engaged etc...
2. My friend works for a company that have a US office - they want to transfer him there - visa got declined!

It seems no one can get in to work there right now! They want to keep the jobs they have for people in the US as there are so few available! MAybe its a good idea until things pick up?

cathidaw
28-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Idon't think that restricting people coming into the country is going to make such a difference now. It's gone too far. Of course they will get help somehow but there are no jobs available for anyone-every day there are more redundancies.
Those people who have had good jobs cannot possibly work for the peanuts some immigrants are prepared to work for. Most people have a mortgage, and all the commitments which that calls for. What are they to do? Older people with a bit saved are using up all their savings to live on.The state is not helping. Houses are lost through no fault of their own-or maybe the fault was taking out a mortgage in the first place.
Perhaps-as I have said many times before-the Government is trying to bring us to our knees and get us all to be subservient to them, as it was early in the 20th century, when only the rich owned property and all the others-us - were proles and doffing our caps.
I cannot guess what the answer is --and today I hear that the MPs are giving themselves an extra £25 per day subsistance -no receipts required.-when they are not working from home.It's a big joke. And which homes are they talking about.
I also hear that Esther Ranson is aiming to be an MP.I hope she gets in and stirs them all.
PS, IRRELEVANT BUT;
TODAY WENT TO THE LAND REGISTRY OFFICE AND SAW A BEAUTIFUL GREEN WOODPECKER IN THE GARDEN THERE.The first time I've seen one.

Josie
28-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah maybe that would bE A harsh approach but thats what the US are doing - closely guarding anything they have for US citizens alone!

Between the fat cats and the government we are all starting to fall to our knees! Its terrible out there right now! I mean no one got a pay rise this year that I know but certain goods have still gone up in price! Stupid isn't it?

As for the £25 a day no receipts rwequired subsistence! Don't even get me started! They can take this and yet have been trying for years to tighten regulations where contractors are concerned with thier expenses that they can claim back for tax purposes! Its a joke!!!!

P.S. I am not even sure if I have ever seen a woodpecker? Hmmmm..... Are they pretty?

Gladys
28-07-2009, 04:28 PM
This is going off the thread abit but as we are talking 'Government/employment or the lack of it- Here goes. Watch out if you've got a conservatory and patio- they're now talking about taxing those. This goes right back to the days of Cromwell and the Window tax(was it him- I think so) Everyone bricked up thier windows. We'll have to pull down the conservatories. The Government is just so ridiculous. They've given our gold away and overspent (on them selves) so are having to find ways of clawing back what we should already have. What next- Fishpond tax calculated with the amount of fish etc!!!:mad:
Esther was always a great leveller, if she is going to stand which I read too, I hope she will do some of what she's good at. Yes, Josie, Woodpeckers are pretty- I think there are about 3 different types of them though. The Lesser, greater and another one-Can't remember.Some one no doubt will know. They don't fly far or well from what i have seen. They're abit cumbersome because of the size of thier bill which is so strong to be able to do the woodpecking etc.:p

cathidaw
28-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I can remember some years ago when people were rated on any improvements to their houses. Built in wardrobes,showers and all sorts of things. We lived next door to someone who worked for the old Bedworth Urban Distict council.
The day we moved in someone advised us not to tell this man anything or he would report what you were doing.Our house was in a state --all we could afford--so any repairs just had to be done.
One day a few weeks after we'd moved in, he came around to be 'neighbourly' and asked what we were doing,- as I still had the front windows whitewashed- and could he be of any help. I told him- jokingly but the truth-that we were saving up for some curtains.
He then came with his wife with some that they had taken down, and insisted that we tried them for size.I let him in and his eyes were everywhere. Luckily he saw nothing untoward, but he was quit surprised at the front room. It was a tip. everything we'd unpacked was in there, plus more. I was no housewife then., She held the curtains up - horrible things- and said she'd alter them to fit. I was young and too polite to say I didn't want them, but my husband did and told her that we would wait until we found exactly what we wanted, even if it took months.
They were offended and said they hoped it wouldn't be too long as the whitened windows spoilt the look of the road.
They never soke to us again all of the 14 years we stayed there.
Actually it was true-we had no money-it all went on buying the house, and cooked on our camping stove.
I kept my windows whitewashed for about 6 months.It didn't worry me -I was at work in the week and we worked on the house at weekends. 'Camping in' I think it's called. Happy days.
I deviate though-it was quite true that if one improved your house it was rated higher.