PDA

View Full Version : Koi Carp

Gladys
13-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Dear All, I know this may seem niaive but is it possible that one of my larger Koi has eaten a newcomer I put in the pond last week?:eek: The 3 Large fish are around 10'' to a foot in length. and this little baby was about 2- 2.5'' in length. He was there 3 days ago hiding under a floating plant but this morning when I went to clean out the filter he was no where to be seen. I know Koi and goldfish will eat fry but this little one was surely a bit too big? There's always the hopw he's still hiding in the deep somewhere. Abit like a parent, I am responsible for his well being.

cathidaw
13-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Gladys,
Idont know much about fish although I have some in my pond .They dont breed well here as Ihave some shubunkins-think that's how you spell it, and I am told they eat the eggs . Ihave 2 koi carp and judging by the size of their mouths I think they'd eat anything. My granddaughter calls one of them Hoover.
Last year I lost one- it flipped out onto the lawn and I was so upset.
How Igot mine is a tale in itself.
Iwanted a pond so my son said he'd dig one. I put the hosepipe on the grass in a sort of roundy -ovally shape and said thats it. 1 metre from my window. Thinks---if I'm having a pond- I'd like to see the fish.. When it was lined and everything in place we were filling it up from the tap when my grandchidren came---and then my sister's foster children . I did explain that it had to be a fortnight standing before we put fish in it, or they would die -but my arm didn't need much twisting to say ok . I only had £12.00 in cash so off we went to the fish centre.
6 kids meant 3 fish each as we could only have tiddlers for that price.
It took us 2 hours for them to choose . The lady was patient and kind trying to catch ''that one there" out of hundreds and we came home with 20 fish-she gave me 2 extra.I didn't know what sort they were. They children gave them all names.
That was nearly 7 years ago and I still have 17 of them
2 are koi carp 12"long and the others are mixed bunch and very pretty.
When I open my curtains in the morning they line up at the edge
nearest the window. When I call the cat they come to the edge too..
So you see why I got upset when one died.
Ihad thought of getting some more but after what Gladys said Idon't think I' will.
Perhaps your little one jumped out, Gladys.

Gladys
13-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Oh Cathidaw, what fun for your G'children to learn about these strange but fascinating creatures. No I don't think the baby jumped out at all- we have a net over the top because the 'Big Boys' jump and they'd be cat food or other. We also live by a historic farm / woodland where herons breed with a Heron reserve 5 miles away. I used to see a heron on the roof of a house nearby but he/she hasn't been there (thankfully) in the last 2 years. I think we have a canibal in the pond. We too have a fish callled Hoover- he's huge. He may be responsible but I feel responsible because its a young pond and the water is not mature- bacteria levels etc. I took a sample to my local fish expert and he said to reduce thier feeds to allow the good bacteria to build up. I did that and am doing that but the 'Big Boys' are so hungry- I really think they ate the baby or one of them did.:eek:

Emily-O
16-07-2009, 10:03 AM
My brother keeps koi. He introduced shrimps to the pond but they didn't last long. I know that fish will eat the babies so I wouldn't be suprised if your newcomer was eaten. However I am no expert!

Gladys
16-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, it does seem that one of them did. I just wouldn't have thought they'd eat this baby. Fry yes but not once they reach 2- 2.5 inches. I've learnt sadly at the expence of this little one. I feel awful about it. :(

Gladys
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
All is forgiven- the baby fish is there. They haven't eaten him.:Lies: Phew. Thought I was going to need counselling :D