PDA

View Full Version : Local Info - Coventry Canal

lee_2oo9
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Good Afternoon,

As part of a University Course I am building a website and the theme i have chosen is the history of the Coventry Canal in our area, in particular the stretch which runs from Nuneaton to Hartshill.

I recently did the walk down the canal and took some photos of old/disused remains of the canal network and other interesting features along the tow paths.

I am looking for local people, perhaps ex quarry men or people with knowledge of the canal area in nuneaton to shed some light on some of the photos i took on my travels. In particular some of the structures that still remain, i would like to know what they used to be used for and also it would be great to get some old photos of the same structures when they were in use if anyone has any.

I have attached a few of the photos i have taken. If anyone has any knowledge, please email me at project_112@yahoo.co.uk to see more images and see if you can help me out.

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

Gladys
06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Hello Lee 2009, they are lovely pictures of a lovely spot for walks etc. I have no idea what the structures were for. I can only guess. The bricks are quite distinctive, have you searched for brickworks nearby? I wonder if there are a pair of these structures standing opposite eachother on either side of the canal? If so they may have been a forward thought for putting in a lockgate or a sluice. If not I have no idea. Have you searched the archives in Coventry or The British Library? The Industrial Revolution saw the network of canals dug to carry coal etc for the steam machinery. There has to be some info but its just knowing where to look. You might ask the Institute of Civil Engineers if they would have any archives that would help.:)

cathidaw
07-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Hall,
You should look at the canal basin., where the statue of Brindley-who designed the canal ,stands.
There is also some info. and if you ask there they will point you inthe right direction.

mattbrown345
17-10-2009, 09:25 PM
all those structures were part of the midland quarry (judkins site) you may fnd some info at the riversley museum or library. some of the brick pillars were part of a bridge i believe. i will look through some of my nuneaton past and present books and if i find anything i'll let you know

mattbrown345
17-10-2009, 09:32 PM
very interesting link with history of the canal maybe they might know where to find specific info you may require

About The Canal Page (http://www.covcanalsoc.org.uk/canal_info.htm)