PDA

View Full Version : sat nav adventure

cathidaw
22-06-2009, 03:34 AM
I went to London for a few days last weekon a business trip with my daughter
Starting back from Canary Wharf .setting the sat nav for home --dont know what happened but I think sometimes in these gadgets there is a mischievous gremlinwho cant get out so tries to get it's own back on us.
We caught the Friday late afternoon traffic, Passing the Dome twice we did an unexpected great London tour.
Isle of Dogs, Tower of London, London eye, Parliarment, got stuck by Pudding Lane for a while, through Piccadilly--past Eros (twice), Trafalgar Square once ,Admiralty Arch (wonder what all those flags were for?)Various bridges,past the Gherkin which I forgot the name of and said "look there's the aubergine" up Regent street -or was it down. Along the Thames for ages.
My daughter was driving and wasn't fazed. She said lets enjoy it and go with the flow-there wasn't much choice. It took us about an hour to get out of central London itself. By then we looked for a loo and somewhere to snack, but all we could find was a dodgy looking Macdonald's-all nasty vandalproof tables and a grim grey floor A couple of extremely earringed teenagers sat at one end on one of the tables with an old woman in a big hairy winter coat and dirty fluffy slippers. I'd have loved to take a photo but dare not.
It was ok tho' and as with all Mc.D's the food was consistent and good.,and they do a great cup of tea.
It took us nearly 4 hours to get back.

Shizara
24-06-2009, 01:19 AM
What an adventure! - Courtesy of the ever helpful Sat-Nav.

I know why they create roundabouts.. So that we can drive around and around until we spot the right exit or see something interesting and so go around for another look before turning off. An excellent addition to the road systems.

Gladys
24-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Cathidaw, that old lady in a hairy coat and fluffy slippers in Mc Ds- you didn't recognise her then? It was our old crone :clapping: Sat Nav's are they really worth it? What's happened to the good old map and navigation? :unsure: (No, I'm not very good at that either)

cathidaw
25-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Of course Gladys, I knew I'd seen her somewhere before!.
Must find out what she's been up to while we
have not been keeping an eye on her.
I have been so occupied lately --havent had time to say much here on WOL , but I do look every dayif I can.
I have noticed though that the world too, goes to pot too while I'm not watching it. What a shambles it is.We dont have any really strong politicians now-not that one could point to and say -he -or she's the one to sort it all out. Maybe a British Obama is lurking somewhere.
One good thing happened to lighten our lives.
I have a new grandson born on 8th May in Madrid. My son's first baby.Tristan.
I went with my daughterto see him . He is so small and beautiful. I so much wanted to bring him home . Their home is here and they will be back in July..
Talking of maps . Ionce went to South Devon at Christmas coming back on Boxing Day. I navigated us to Slimbridge accidentally. We had a lovely day there --and another Christmas dinner

Gladys
25-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I know what you mean Cathidaw. Congratulations on your new Grandchild. That's a great day to be born on, my man's birthday too. Well, I haven't had much other than the Weymss-Dalrymple stuff in my spare time lately. It set out as a sort of 'tieing up of some ends' for my Mum who wasn't very well at the beginning. It perked her spirits up and since then with Shizara's help we've made some amazing discoveries in the family history with lots more to uncover.
I'll get back to the 'Story Game' eventually. :)

cathidaw
05-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Cathidaw, that old lady in a hairy coat and fluffy slippers in Mc Ds- you didn't recognise her then? It was our old crone :clapping: Sat Nav's are they really worth it? What's happened to the good old map and navigation? :unsure: (No, I'm not very good at that either)

I went to a VW RALLY IN SOMEWHERE IN NORTHHAMPTONSHIRE
ON THE WAYBACK WE WERE STUCK IN THE TRAFFIC. ALTERING THE ST NAV TO GO A DIFFERENT ROUTE WAS A MISTAKE.Ii ENDED UP IN A SINGLE TRACK COUNTRY LANE IN FRONT OF A SIGN SAYING 'LOWER PIDDLE'. AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LANE WERE TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND A SIGN SAYING 'AMBULANCES AND FIRE VEHICLES ONLY'.
THELIGHTS WERE ON RED. NO ROOM TO TURN, AND -ANOTHER CAR NOW BEHIND US-10 MINUTES LATER WE MOVED ON- THE CAMERA FLASHED US. -HEARTS IN MOUTHS-THINKING A COP CAR WOULD BE WAITING FOR US AT THE OTHER END.
AS SOON AS I GOT BACK I PHONED THE POLICE IN THAT AREA TO EXPLAIN . WE HEARD NO MORE.

Josie
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Hehe Cathidaw it seems like you did have a good old adventure! I too find (especially in London) that our sat nav just seems to go cuckoo! It has done it to us often!

When my sister had her baby (in Paddington) her home is like a two min drive away or something silly like that - we didnt know the way so thought we would use the sat nav, followed it blindly for about ten mins then checked and realised the stupid thing was telling us it was a 30 min journey??? Asked someone directions and we were there in ten mins!

I can't believe what happened there! It was weird!

It has happened to us in a few places out of London as well! I have no ideas how it works sometimes?????