PDA

View Full Version : Public speed cameras

Will
20-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I suppose it was inevitable that we had citizens given speed cameras at some point. Looks like that time has arrived in Nuneaton & Bedworth at least. While it's hard to argue against merits of this scheme, as it would be idea for catching certain neighbourhood troublemakers. I can't help finding the whole thing a little Orwellian and disturbing.

I think you'd have to be prepared to lose a few friends if you sign up to this scheme, which effectively means you're spying on your neighbours.

I'm waiting for the next step, which will be incentive schemes for people who sign up, you KNOW it's going to happen.

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Public using speed guns in towns (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/8057926.stm)

Gladys
20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh good grief where are we going as a nation? It is indeed Orwellian as you say, Will. What ever is happening to our values? It would seem we can no longer rely on the good of our fellowmen to abide by the law. To stand by good wholesome values of 'do unto others as you would unto yourself' That is something underpinned by consideration and care.The days when the law enforcers; our police, were there to stand against crime and criminals.They were sufficient in numbers and there was respect for the named local bobby. Too often now, they will not attend certain areas at certain times ie. after dark and often do not attend situations because they do not have the resources- burglaries. A crime reference may be given and the house holder left to make the all too customary insurance claim. If we now build into our society a curtain twitcher attitude that is accepted as the norm, why even bother anymore. We'll fast become a nation built from mistrust rather like the days of communist states where people were 'dobbed in' for what ever was deemed against the interests of the society. Except where do you draw the line as to what is acceptable and what isn't? One man's poison .... :(