PDA

View Full Version : Bernadette's Restaurant - Former Island Cafe opens

Will
06-05-2009, 01:07 PM
The old Island cafe has finally been refurbished, and has reopened as Bernadette's Restaurant in Stratford. The Island cafe has been something of an enigma in Stratford for the 25 years that it has been closed.

The story I heard was that it was inherited by a guy who was an anti-capitalist who squatted in London and doesn't believe in money. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Anyway, the council finally got a compulsory sale order for the premises last year.

So what is there now? Well, Bernadette's is a Sea Food restaurant, much to the delight of many residents, who've been crying out for something like this for a while. I believe it has been named after a Leonard Cohen song, and that themes from his work run through the building.

It's refreshing to see something in Stratford that actually has a unique theme to it, I personally wish them every success!

Here's their web site

Bernadettes Restaurant, Stratford Upon Avon | Serving seafood, breakfasts, snacks and a la carte lunches. (http://www.bernadettesrestaurant.co.uk)