PDA

View Full Version : Recession

Bob question mark
30-04-2009, 10:10 PM
The dreaded R-word - recession - is in the air as every day seems to bring more gloomy economic news.

Remember the words of NEW Labour .... No more boom or bust

Instead they have gone one better recession now leading to depression in all field.

Hope is at hand by investing in the Green economy.... any good ideas/projects in your area.

Will
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Now that you mention it, I can't think of any local initiatives or projects for helping the environment. Perhaps we need to start thinking of some, although I admit I can't think what would be a good start off the top of my head apart from one radical idea.

My idea was to encourage the WCC to pave the way to a new era in public transport, and show that countryside public transport can be effective if done well enough that everyone can use it conveniently. Instead of building more and more car parks, and park and rides, it would be great to think you could hop on a bus that goes by every fifteen minutes. I'd gladly switch to public transport if it were far more regular and convenient.

Toad
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Not quite sure how Recession leads to Green topics but there are campaigns out there including leamingtonallotments.co.uk (http://www.leamingtonallotments.co.uk/) which is a site from allotment holders dedicated to stopping allotments being purloined for the 10-20000 houses the government wants to build. It's a very worthwhile campain. Have a look and sign the petition.
We also have the dreadful Tesco's trying to expand their Warwick site. On purely environmental grounds it is hoped the planning committee will throw it out, but don't hold your breath. The last time this came to a vote the councillors voted NO and were told to go away and vote again until they said YES. Democracy at work?
The recession is bad but we are talking ourselves in to a much worse crisis than needs to exist. We all know the government is dreadful - but has anyone thougt of a credible alternative?