PDA

View Full Version : Bancroft Gardens reopen

Will
24-04-2009, 06:53 PM
The Bancroft gardens were reopened this week. I can now deliver my full verdict, which if I'm honest doesn't differ much from my previous verdict.

The "improvements" and "modernisations" have unquestionably brought a new meaning to the word 'bland'. The corner near bridge street that was once host to a beautiful array of trees, is now an empty sea of pavement slabs and steel railings, lampposts, and bollards. What's left of the grass areas have been uninspiringly divided by yet more paving slabs. The grass near the roadside has been raised up and surrounded by tacky looking marble. There are some new trees planted here, but they are sorry looking things and they don't look like they intend to grow any bigger, or prove any challenge to the previous occupants.

The quaint little bridge over the lock, has been replaced with another large wad of steel. The little flower garden which sat next to it, has been replaced with something that looks like a mini amphitheatre, this too is the very definition of bland, no room for flowers here I'm afraid! This whole bit and the riverside pathway has been tastefully covered in tarmac with a layer of grit covering the top, the same colour as the slabs, stonework, etc.. The one saving grace of this area is the sundial tribute to the firemen who lost their lives in that warehouse fire. This is actually very very nice, but unfortunately it's not enough to bring life to this dessicated landscape.

Several rows of flower gardens have been unceremoniously dumped in endless rows in the garden by the roadside. There is actually more flowerbed then garden now. This bit may actually look nice in time, but in it's current state of fenced off mud with a few random and desperately weedy looking flowers, it's hard to gain inspiration.

Overall, I don't think dessicated is too strong a word to describe what has been done. If the design brief was to make it look as ordinary, pointless, boring, and uninspirational as possible, then the "designer" has succeeded. When I think how beautiful all those trees were before, and what we have now, I can only shake my head in utter bewilderment. Sure it could have used tidying up, but this is pathetic and really quite upsetting. Stratford is another mighty step closer to looking like absolutely nothing special.

But hey, that's all just my opinion. I'd be interested to see what other people think, and if I'm being too harsh.

Madhatter
26-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I can't comment yet as haven't been. Lorna, The girl from that area I was getting to know came to nothing so don't go that way now, but I'm sure I'll be over when it's warmer. By the sound of it, a romantic walk through the gardens wouldn't be that pleasant now anyway. I'm sure they're trying to kill all the charm and quaintness that Stratford has managed to hold on to for all thosee years in the name of modernisation. I don't think judging by the votes tat its the modernisation that residents or visitors want though.
Are my international lamp post from around the world still there ?

Will
26-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I think they're gone I'm afraid, far too interesting and colourful for the new look. I didn't wonder close down the "promanade" to be honest, but I cant' remember seeing them. I miss them too, the new dull steel lamp posts are just no replacement.

cathidaw
28-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I haven't been to Stratford to see the completed 'look' yet, but saw it on the TV news. Even the Mayor didn't look impressed -said it was a 'bit plain' just nowand looked bored.
Plain -I ask you. Understated or what?
These so called designers are out to destroy anything of beauty. I wonder what goes on in the heads of these very sad grey people?
Does anyone believe in aliens here?
I had a grandma once who often told us that we are not here on this earth to enjoy life . She was boring and miserable and it rubbed of on others. , couldn't bear to see anyone happy.We were always glad when she went home after her annual month with our family. I believe these designers have the same mentality.
The area now looks slightly worse than the famous international clock outside the Coventry Motor Museum which I once suggested should be used as a skate board area---that didn't go down well!.
Well, it looks as if you folks over there will have to put up with it as here in Coventry we have to put up with the shenanigans of our council. At least your roads are reasonable --our nearly all resemble a tank assault course. one road in Stoke in Coventry has a groove running up the middle, about two tyre widths wide.

This has nothing much to do with your serious issue but I just have to ramble on

Dexter
28-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Just bear in mind this utter act of vandalism was done against the wishes of the people that live here. We threw out every single District Councillor that voted it though at last years local elections because they had refused to listen to local opposition.

This doesn't help us of course because it still went ahead and we've got what we've got.

Made me realise its just a wretched dictatorship really

Shizara
14-05-2009, 11:37 AM
With towns becoming clones of each other many visitors and residents look for the quaintness, the peace, the historical side and the differences that we had in towns with yesterday's world.

I wonder which councillor will get the statue erected for being the leader, instrumental in the beautifying / destruction of Bancroft Gardens.

Will
07-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi all, I don't know how to tell you this, but, I have moved up to Scotland, my husband's work took us up there, plus I am Scottish by birth anyway and most of my family are still here. However, I will miss Stratford , and Warwick and friends etc.
Will knows I especially loved Stratford, even though it has changed a lot, I still have lots of very fond memories there, I loved it. I would still like to look in on the forum and see how you are all doing.

I hope everyone has a jolly good Christmas and a Happy new year.

Hi Mari,

Great to hear from you, you'll always be welcome to post here as long as you like. Hope you're enjoying Scotland, and likewise hope you have a good Christmas and Happy new Year. :)
:band::yippee:

Will
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Mari,

Glad you haven't been too affected by the snow, did I hear right that it's snowing pretty heavily up there again now?

Shizara
04-08-2010, 12:01 AM
.... - all that's missing are the rusty cars and old sofas cluttering the place up....

You forgot the feral supermarket trolley with rusty bits, a bent wheel and lying on its side.

Shizara
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, they could make a framework for busy beavers to turn into dams.....

Shizara
16-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I wonder if they sit at meetings over tea and sticky buns, patting themselves on the back for the artistic and sensitive manner in which they have rejuvenated the area. A waste of money and a disgrace.

Aosten
21-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I agree, the new bancroft is awful. The only bit that looks better is where they've made that circle thing (not sure what it's for) and the bridge.
Though im not sure why they need such a huge ramp going up to it. But the rest of it should have been left alone.

WHY HAVE THEY REMOVED ALL OF THE BENCHES? Where do they expect people to sit?

The latest crazy idea they've had is to turn the road into a simple lane and widening the footpath. Now i see that the resturant has tables and chairs splashed all across path. Great
The last idea they had before the bancroft's destruction was to build a motor bike parking area by the car park and rip up that nice path they had going along there. Now people have to use the narrow footpath next to busy road.
Next to nobody uses that motor bike car park thing, so that was another failure and waste of money.
I wonder what their next plan is?

Shizara
21-09-2010, 05:52 AM
I wonder what their next plan is?

I dread to think, but someone else will come up with a scatterbrained idea

Lex
23-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Keep Britain tidy must have really low standards. They've lost all credibility in my books. I only found out the campaign still existed a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.stratford-herald.com/39552-bancroft-gardens-scoop-top-award.html

Lex
22-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Not only are the Bancroft Gardens well designed, they're well built too: http://www.stratford-herald.com/55978-video-pavement-bubbling-up-in-stratford.html