PDA

View Full Version : Struggling With Options

JasonReynolds
02-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey My Names Jason im 16 from bedworth and i have a problem i have no GCSE's and no grades predicted for year 7,8,9,10,11 because i was out with an illness and my disslocating knees. I also have a problem with my heart... which stops me breathing now i have no results to put on a CV to apply for a job or to even think about going into college but this is where im stuck i want to go into college and learn about game development and get into all that because i love games and love making them But i have no idea how to get into it because of my condition. I am currently going in school 2 days a week but cut down to 1 because my I.C.T teacher threw me off the course because i was never in i explained my situation to him and he said it was too bad so i have 1 day which is for my skillforce which is a whole day. Now i cannot do any GCSE's because i have not studied them in school.... as you have just read up about does anyone know a way out :( ? because i really want to get into game development. Or anyway to get into anything to do with computers or anything because im the family wiz (Not Boasting) :D

Will
02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Jason,

To start with, I don't think your I.C.T teacher has the right to simply throw you off a course at school. With your parents help I would contest this with the headmaster. At the same time, with your parents you should get in contact with your local council and ask what they can do to help. Everyone is entitled to an education, and they SHOULD provide you with the means to aquire it one way or another. You may be entitled to benefits, which will allow you to retake your GCSE's at college.

Also, it might interest you to know if you don't already, that 'Codemasters' are based in Southam. They have a careers page here:
Codemasters (http://www.codemasters.co.uk/corporate/careers/featured-jobs/)

You can always contact them and ask for some work experience. They may be more than willing to help. Here's their P.O. address. You could send them a letter 'Care of Human resources' or something.

Codemasters, P.O. Box 6
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV47 2ZT
United Kingdom

Hope that's of some help, if not, let me know and I'll think of something else for you to try. I really would get in contact with your local council though, they have a duty to help you.

Gladys
02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Hello Jason, I am so very sorry to hear of your ill health. However, all power to you for over-riding the problems and battling on. I am rather appalled to hear of your school's lack of support; they have a legal obligation to both educate you and offer all the support available. Contact your Local Education Authority asap and ask for an appointment with your parents/guardian or another adult with whom you feel connected. Tell them everything and bringDoctor's letter's nores etc. If you don't have one, ring your GP to get one. Lex is right that the Connexions people will help as well. If you need any more advice just ask. I hope this helps and I wish you well. ( ps my Daughter had a brain tumour which started to manifest at 11 years old- she was finally diagnosed through NHS delays of no scanner, no-one to operate the one they eventually got and prejudice against an 'over anxious nursey' Mum.) Like you, she is bright, articulate and due to the resulting treatment missed everything - she survives today , happy , independant and working in Bulgaria. She's fluent in it. So there's hope- keep going. You will get to where you want to be with perseverence and determination.

JasonReynolds
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Thankyou all for replying i have booked an appointment for tommorow at 1:30 at connections and sorry to hear about your daughter. Best wishes for her and I am glad to hear that she is doing well :). And i have also sent a email to CodeMasters and explained the situation they just sent me an email back saying they are not accepting work experiance O.o