PDA

View Full Version : The Bear bar/pub at the Swans nest

Will
01-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I am delighted to report that this new bar that has opened in Stratford is absolutely great! It has a simple yet sophisticated, and sociable layout, including a fireplace! Plenty of Ales on sale if that's your thing, and plenty of other drinks as well. The staff are friendly, and also knowledgeable - I got introduced to the concept of having an orange slice in my Woodford Reserve, and it was good.

I think what makes it stand out, is there's nothing contrived about the place at all, it's just a good honest pub within a hotel. All I can say is, about time!
:clapping:

I've heard good things uttered about their bistro too, but have yet to venture in there.

Ted de Stratford
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
See you there Will. You buying?

Will
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
THe next time I have two pennies to rub together, I'd be glad to. :D

Shizara
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I bags the arm rest on the comfy chair..

Will
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I've spoken to quite a few people about the place now, and all have reported that they really like it, or have heard it's a nice place. It's funny though, no one can really explain why they like it so much.

Shizara
07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
... and Steinlager? :whistling:

Dexter
07-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Whats the going rate for a pint of real ale in these sort of places..Its getting sooooooooo expensive to drink out these days

I know not as sociable but I notice the supermarkets sell loads of bottled real ales these days for around 1.50

Sibarnes
16-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Good afternoon folks

I'd just like to say a quick thank you for your kind words about our pub, The Bear:clapping:
I'm Simon the General Manager, I'll pass on your message to Graham (the bar manager)and his team as all positive feedback is very much appeciated

So far the pub is growing from strength to strength.
Have any of you been down to watch the rugby?

As you are all well aware, we have a selection of 5 cask ales on at all times and at a very reasonable price!!

Thanks for your continued support, hope to see you in the pub soon

Regards

Simon

Shizara
17-03-2009, 07:55 AM
I am delighted to report that this new bar that has opened in Stratford is absolutely great! It has a simple yet sophisticated, and sociable layout, including a fireplace! Plenty of Ales on sale if that's your thing, and plenty of other drinks as well. The staff are friendly, and also knowledgeable - I got introduced to the concept of having an orange slice in my Woodford Reserve, and it was good.

I think what makes it stand out, is there's nothing contrived about the place at all, it's just a good honest pub within a hotel. All I can say is, about time!

Pubs of this nature are a refreshing change and maybe this could be an option for an afternoon forum meet, with the users shouting Will a drink or two for the work he has put in here for us.

Jonesy74
28-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Good afternoon folks

So far the pub is growing from strength to strength.
Have any of you been down to watch the rugby?

Thanks for your continued support, hope to see you in the pub soon

Regards

Simon

Simon, I couldn't help but notice your reference to the rugby. I'm looking for a decent pub to take my father to watch the opening British Lions game on Saturday 30th May (2pm - Sky Sports). He lives down the road in Tredington.

Will you be showing the game at all? Every other pub in the land seems to be taking the easy option and showing the FA cup Final instead...!

We can bring a few friends along for a few drinks & food etc if you will be showing the game.

Stuart

simonc1978
04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm new to the forum but I've been going to the Bear quite regularly this year. It is undoubtably the best pub in Stratford. There's several reasons for this:

The ale is utterly superb. As a CAMRA member I can tell you that the condition of the beer is always very good or excellent. Graham takes great care of the beer and it shows. The 7th handpull is a very welcome addition as is the addition of a dark beer (my whinging finally paid off! :D). The staff know about real ale and can usually recommend something if I'm in a non-committal mood. The range is beer is very good and the focus on local beers very commendable.
The staff are friendly and all know what good customer service is about.
Food is uniformly excellent (try the ploughmans - best ever) and the service is never slow.
The decor is comfortable and relaxed and the place is always spotless - a rarity in a good real ale pub.
Watching the rugby in there (especially Wales beating England :clapping:) when it's packed is great as you can still get table service. How many pubs in town do that?
It's one of the cheaper places to drink in town - I can only think of the Golden Bee and Lamplighters that are regularly cheaper. If you think £2.90 for a beer that is 5.5% is too expensive then I suggest you'd be better off in Wetherspoons.
Games and newspapers available all the time.
The clientele is varied but always quite relaxed. Never noticed a bad vibe in there once.

It's very difficult to find fault with the place to be honest. A must if you live in or are visiting Stratford.

Lex
31-01-2013, 06:45 PM
The Bear was a really good pub when it first opened, but now has just turned into a noisy drinking hole full of people watching the constant football on TV. However, the beer garden by the river is a great place to spend the afternoon with a beer, and watching all the activity on the river.