PDA

View Full Version : Australia Tour on the way…….looking for suggestions!

Price
17-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello everybody, we are young group pf students and are planning to visit Australia. The places that we have got listed are Sydney, Queensland and Brisbane. There is scope for more places as well and we are just preparing our schedule. I am here to take suggestions on as to what are the places worth seeing and how about the staying there? I would like to have any useful suggestions that might come on the way.

Thanks in advance!

Gladys
17-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello, I haven't been but I sent my Daughter on a 9 week stint after finishing her GCSEs at 16 years old for the UK Summer holidays. She spent the time with friends in the Perth area of Aus and loved it. You could look at venturing that way or go North to Cairns except of course it does depend when you're going because that's serious heat in the Australian summer. Don't forget you must do the tourist sites like Aires Rock (Sorry,I've spelt it wrongly,I think) and the Great Barrier Reef. Or go South to Tasmania. It's a long way by our standards and the budget will be the key to how much you can squeeze in. How long are you going for? Anyway, plan ahead and make good contacts when you're there. :) Have fun

Will
17-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi Price!

I did Australia about 4 years ago, so I can give you some hopefully good advice. Apart from Sydney, I'd recommend avoiding the east coast. To be honest, it's what everyone does and you'll probably meet more British people that actual Australians. I'd look into doing the West coast and North territory as Gladys suggests, as well as Tasmania. This will get you a little more off a well beaten track, of course you may not want to do that, in which case the East Coast is perfect.

If you do go along the East coast, I will very highly recommend a little place called 1770, which is near a place called Agnes Waters (I think). When I went there, there were only two hostels in the entire place, and they'd only had roads and a police station for a year. It's the most southern point of the Great Barrier reef, so much so that there are no stingers there! If you do go, book yourself into the hostel called 'Cool Bananas'. It's run by someone called Greg, who is an exceptionally nice guy, and will look after you well. The hostel is very nice too, and the surrounding area and coastline is wonderful. When I was there, there was even a guy who did tours, where you learnt a few basis survival things, and some zoology, he'll also try to convince you that the 'New World Order' is real, which is great comedy value if nothing else.

Finally, I would most definitely recommend that you buy a camper van and drive yourself! The difference in cost compared to hostels means there's not much in it, and you can always treat yourselves in places like 1770. Not only that, but you're not tired to the well trodden routes, and you go stop where ever you like. Obviously be very careful though, not just driving but where you spend the night, there's some funny people around.

I won't waffle on any longer, if you have any questions, please do ask. Let us know what you decide.

zinedine
18-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Those places mentioned on your list are just great! With pristine beaches, tropical islands, lush rainforests, vibrant cities and the authentic Australian outback, Queensland is the ultimate holiday destination. Brisbane is the state’s capital city, a city full of energy, style, arts and culture. The Brisbane River snakes through the metropolis and is peppered with alfresco dining options. Another is the Great Barrier Reef, stretching 2300km along the Queensland coast. Home to a myriad of sea creatures and hidden gems, the best way to explore the reef is to snorkel or scuba dive. And for more on the staying factor, you can check out <SNIP - Link removed - Will>so as to get better options on the accommodations there.

Enjoy the Trip.

Will
18-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh dear, I thought we might have a spammer on our hands, and these multiple accounts with the same address goes to prove it. Accounds banned, links removed. It really ****es me off when people try to manipulate this forum. :(