PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

Abbie
02-02-2009, 10:52 AM
So it's snowed enough to the point where I was the only one who was able to make it to the office today, everyone else was apparently unable to make it through the treacherous conditions! Even though I know where one of my co-workers lives and I drove past her house this morning, and while 1 inch of snow is quite a lot, I wouldn't classify it as particularly treacherous - naughty naughty. ;)

Still, being in the office by yourself does have some advantages. I can have the radio on as loud as I like, and sing without upsetting people, play on the internet all day and move the kettle to my desk. :D

I loves the snow! :)

Gladys
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I spoke to my Son at 8am today. He was riding his bike through Wellesbourne to get to Moreton Morrell. No snow there then. He said it had tried last night but didn't settle. We are completely covered in the stuff down here on Hayling Island- Incredible. There's more to come apparently and its heading your way after us. Well done Abbie for getting to work. Good Luck all. Get the sledges :) out.

Gladys
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't know how its going in your neck of the woods now but it's been snowing here non stop since 1130.(last 3+ hours) Admittantly, not heavily all the time but it's still throwing it at us. I think it's warmed up a bit because it isn't laying on the roads that have cleared. Take care all anyway, it could become very slippery.

Gladys
02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Lex,Quiz Night at The Pub sounds OK to me. Have fun and hope you win. This snow stuff certainly has its benefits. :clapping:

Will
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
It's really starting to throw it down now. If it keeps up like this we're in for some serious snowage. My friend is flying in to Birmingham tonight, hope it doesn't effect him.

Shizara
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I went to Birmingham yesterday on the first train. It was very icy and slippy - I walked to the station. Am doing a course at the College and by lunch time we had made a decision to go home as whilst Birmingham roads were, at that point, driveable and there were few vehicles compared to the normal scenario it looked like it was "settling in" for a substantial fall - or several falls - of snow.

When I got home another shower saw what looks like tiny pieces of torn up tissue floating to the ground but by later in the afternoon it was building up on the footpaths etc. By the time I walked home I was too cold to do the snowman building routine but if we have more snow by tomorrow then that could change.

cathidaw
05-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I was baby and 2 teenagers sitting, in Epwell --about 15 miles or so from Wellesbourne--for a week, but on Monday we were really snowed in..so I could not come home, the school in Tysoe was open but closed the next day. Today (Wed) it was open but we could not get out of the village until lunch time. narrow roads steep hills. I started for my home about 5pm. The roads were quite dangerous- til Igot to Tysoe 3 miles down the hills . Ihad to drive down the steepest hill with nearside wheels on th snowy grass verge.Then it was ok all the way home I didn't see any grit on the roads inthe villages..
The strange thing was, on Monday the worst day a BT engineer put up a new phone line in all the snowy weather- took him all day-, and I saw the Tesco and Waitrose vans coming along the lanes 2 0r 3 times - very brave. and, the Waitrose van comes from near where Ilive in Exhall.
Everone is saying how the schools always opened years ago , and we all went to work even if we had to walk.It's so different now, schools are quite a long way away now and teachers often have to travel far. Two of the teachers at my grandaughter's school live about 15 miles away so we have to think of their safety too.