PDA

View Full Version : Soup Kitchen To Work In On Xmas Day?

nutty_girl_2001
19-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm seriously considering not 'doing' Xmas and concentrating on helping doing something positive in this world, rather than exchanging stuff I don't need with other people.

Is there a homeless shelter/something similar open on Xmas Day / Boxing Day?

Shizara
19-12-2008, 09:38 PM
What a kind and loving thought. There might be a Salvation Army or similar in your area doing something for others at Christmas. Generally they appreciate help.

cathidaw
20-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Its a great idea.
My sister and I, and my son, who comes up from Southampton , cook a Christmas dinner for the Salvation Army on Christmas Day . Last year there were about 35 people-this year there may be more.
The meal is fantastic- as good as any hotel. Anyone can come for a meal. we have been doing this for 4 years and my sister for many years.
You will need to phone up soon as they like to know beforehand how many helpers they are getting. Only so many -us and a helper are allowed in the kitchen-(elfunsafty) but there are other things to do like serving the meals to the tables etc.

Toad
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Well done, Cathidaw, it restores my faith in people. What a pity that we have this sad, useless group of humanity intent on enforcing the Health & Safety rubbish, to the detriment of those in need. But that's a whole new debate!
Happy New Year.

cathidaw
12-01-2009, 01:05 AM
hi.
This year we had around 40 people.
One man came when the meal had finished , he'd seen it in the paper and turned up late but he still got his meal.
My sister organises it and she is like a sergeant major in the kitchen and we usually do as she says. It works well. It has to, in a small kitchen.
There were a lot of helpers and quite a few mid teenagers too which was good to see.
I agree that elfunsafty rules has gone too far. Mostly it is just common sense