PDA

View Full Version : Idont think I'm mad, but.........

cathidaw
05-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I love listening to the shipping forecast.

Will
05-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Where do you listen to the shipping forecast Cathi?

If you like that, have you ever seen that Kevin Spacey film called 'Shipping Forecast'? It's a little bleak, but an interesting film.

cathidaw
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I ususally listen to radio 4 late at night whilst I am painting-I am a night owl.
All of those names -you know- Rockall, Mallin, Firth, I can almost imagine what it is like . All that space and sea- lashing waves and the loneliness. lighthouses and storms. Poetic. And I got the 'feeling ' of it when we went to Scotland -Cape Wrath especially ,and John o' Groats in a storm.
Also I have a memory of when my son was little -about 2 years old. Some days we had to get a bus at 2.10 pm and he always watched 'watch with mother'. 2 oclock the weather forecast came on as I rushed to get his coat on, and we could almost recite the names-he was so pleased to get them right. Then we rushed to get the bus.!!
A bit sentimental.
Ihavent seen the film but will look out for it.

cathidaw
07-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not mad then-unless we both are.
You are right , the familiar is soothing.

Lex
05-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I love listening to the shipping forecast. If I wake up early, I usually listen to the early programming on Radio 4 through my headphones while i doze until it's time to get up.

rebbonk
06-08-2013, 07:14 AM
I used to love listening to these forecasts, but needed a map to understand exactly where they were talking about....

http://static.bbci.co.uk/weather/0.5.257/images/coast-and-sea/shipping-forecast-locations.png

cathidaw
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
i SAW THAT FILM.
One of the best books I have read about it is 'Attention All Shipping' by Charlie Connelly, who decided to visit all of the shipping names on the forecast.
And did you know that ALL of it is done from a little upstairs room somewhere in the depths of Milton Keynes.
I'd like to visitif it is possible-so when I'm walking and driving again --end of December- I shall enquire.l

Gladys
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
The shipping forecast always reminds me of my Father. He listened to it religiously when he was an Air traffic Controller. Thanks for the map, Rebbonk. German Bight was of particular interest to me. I have never known where it actually was but I love the name. there was something very enchanting and soothing about the announcers voice as he reeled off the forecast.

cathidaw
07-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Baily--Rockall -Malin -Forth
takes me back a bit to when my children were little and they tried to guess what was coming next. I must have been a mad Mum