PDA

View Full Version : Suspect Measles Rise to 46 since beginning of November

Will
04-12-2008, 02:32 PM
The number of Suspected Measles cases in Warwickshire has risen to 46 since the beginning of November. Although I can't be sure, I think there is some impication that this is due to parents refusing to let their children have the MMR vacine.

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Suspect measles cases rise to 46 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/7762678.stm)

Gladys
15-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Hello Lex, I've looked on the WHO website and The Lancet. None are saying anything about outbreaks in the UK that I can find. To me, this either means that any reported are not deemed significant by number or they are choosing to not publish them. Maybe a call to Health Information at NHS Direct may give more but from experience if the NHS wants to 'glaze' stats the answer may yield little. Good Luck if you choose to ask further but please let us know. :)

Will
15-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I did see that midlands three students have come back from Germany and contracted Measles, presumably while there. I still can't work out if this is really about the MMR vaccine.

Gladys
15-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Hello Will, I do know as a Health Professional that there is a direct link with outbreaks and non vaccination. However, have they said whether these students were Brits or German Nationals as I don't know what the German Vaccination Programme is? Certainly here, non vaciination is linked to outbreak.:) That is what our NHS are seeming to say by way of encouragement for having the vaccines.

Gladys
15-12-2008, 10:23 PM
As an after thought- I think you can ask The PCT about outbreaks or if not them the Notifiable Diseases in the Public Health Department. They will have numbers that are published and have to be notified. Try that way and see what you get from them. :)

Gladys
09-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Hello Lex (Happy New Year) Did you see the BBC News tonight at 1800/6pm? it spoke of an epidemic? Worrying because there haven't been any published documents from the WHO or the local PCTs -have there? Great Government this is!!!
:D