PDA

View Full Version : Dan James Euthanasia

Will
29-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I know this story as been and gone. But euthanasia is back in the news again, and I go thinking about this story again.

For the record I am for Euthanasia in cases of terminal illness, or where age has robbed someone of the ability to live independently and with dignity.

In this case though, I'm not so sure this was the right thing to do, but then again I don't know all the facts. What I do know is of course this lad was a rising star in Rugby, and that he was robbed of that when is broke his spine. He wanted to die as far as I know, because he saw no future for himself in a wheelchair, and likewise couldn't bare the indignity of not being able to do anything for himself.
However, he was only young, and science is making massive progress in this field. It is entirely possible that one day he could have been mended or at least gain a certain amount of independence again. He could have gone on to pursue another avenue in life.
I can't judge the parents, as their motives will never be fully clear to any of us. But I know if it were me, I would have lived in hope of a cure, and if I were the parents I would have wanted him to live in hope as well.

What does everyone else think?

Gladys
30-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Each case must be dealt with on individual merit. No one person is the same nor are thier circumstances. I have nursed many terminally ill people to the end and nursed alot of damaged people, I can only speak from those experiences and say that never should a person exist in pain. That pain can be emotional as well as physical. One may outweigh the other. Depression is a major killer. Not only to the sufferer but also family who watch by. Drs and Nurses have enough training and drugs to prevent that but resources to provide adequate training to professionals and the treatment and care are often short so it does still happen. It seems in some situations, professionals are either not confident in thier use or can be worried about litigation from the family for using them. This brings in other considerations that the people around those that suffer bring to the table thier own issues and this can leave the sufferer on the wayside whilst moral values etc are weighed up. No one can judge unless faced with a situation and then as we know you can only work with what is available. That's probabley the crux of it. Let us hope things improve and there are decent choices with safety in mind. :)

timberdog
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I am of the opinion that if you have no quality of life or indeed no future chance of quality life then it should be up to the person concerned or imiediate relitives to make an informed decision on if life for the person should continue!

after all in extreme or long incurable problems would you want to carry on or indeed put on your love ones etc..i know this from loosing both my parents to cancer ...it is very traumatic and best in the end that people do not suffer.

this will be a hot potatoe as i am sure you will be all aware!!!