PDA

View Full Version : TOXIC WASTE DISPOSALat Judkins Quarry

cathidaw
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Today is The Big Debate by Warwick County Council about this . There has been total uproar about it here and in most of N,Warwickshire.
For those of you who haven't heard-WCC decided to build a massive toxic waste disposal plant , based on one they had seen in an Eastern Europe country. Waste would be coming in everyday from all over this countryand possibly abroad-they would not be too clear on that bit.
'Only' up to 20 lorry loads per day-they said. Which meant 40 lorries travelling through this densly populated area, past houses, schools shops etc. to the quarry. "Wont affect the area" they said. "It will be covered up"
No -one could pin down what exactly the TOXIC waste would be.
Who knows what will be in it?. And it could lie for years contaminating the nearby canals, pollute the air with god knows what fumes.
They even went on a jolly to look at other Eastern Europe coUntries to photograph their plants. I could not believe it when I saw it the photo in the local paper. How stupid and laughable was it to publish that? Which clown's idea was it?
It was an eyesore - a massive plant with tall chimneys belching out clouds of white 'smoke'. Which made everyone even more determined to protest.
Apart from this, it is in a socially and environmently deprived area which the local council has been trying to regenerate for years.--even building a marina.which is not yet finished and which will be totally useless if this happens. Anyone for boating in a industrial factory yard.!!
This was a working quarry but now is a BIG HOLE. I find it quite attractive and it attracts much wildlife.One side overlooks the valley where Boadicea -Queen of the Icenes fought her last battle and the countryside stretches as far as your eyes can see-- into Leicstershire, lovely countryside..
It would make an ideal Eden complex in the Midlands.
There are plenty of places to put a plant in this country. I think every town should be forced to find it's own waste disposal place for toxic stuff...within their own borders.
I'm ranting but now Ishall look at the news and see the result of the debate.:mad:

cathidaw
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
WWC have now decided to allow the Nuneaton people to have a real say in what they want to happen to this quarry.They should have done it properly in the beginning, instead of putting up a few posters and and an ad.in the library -hoping the 'proles' here in North Wks would not notice, so they could push it through.
I believe they were shocked at the response from residents.
Now the decision has been deferred until after the public meeting, and there is talk that the owners of the quarry may change their ideas and opt for other developments instead. If they dont, some people here think it will not make any difference- that the decision is made.
But I am not so sure . People will not be walked upon and allow WCC to trash their environment any more.

Gladys
11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
This meeting is a perfect opportunity to publicise the Forum and to oppose this proposal. The Forum can offer a way for all to keep in touch about this issue in particular. Why don't you decide to attend the meeting and appoint some one as a spokesperson? It may help the cause, after all the more who know about it the better. The Forum is a medium for all to communicate. :)

Shizara
11-10-2008, 10:03 AM
If anyone finds out a date, time and place for this meeting it would be great to make those details available here in case, for whatever reason, some do not know.