PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Olive
13-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I like knowing what everyone is reading. I'm currently reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, who is absolutely my favourite author. I'm also sad though, because once I've read it, I'll have read all his books and I'm going to have to wait years to see another one (this one has only just come out).

He's easily one of the most imaginative writers I've ever read.

So what is everyone else reading?

Sandman
14-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I LOVE NEIL GAIMAN!

Just look at my name, I've got all of his graphic novels which are amazing. I've also just started reading some of his recent books, in fact I finished 'American Gods' last month, which was simply outstanding.

You're right, he is incredibly creative and his stories are the definition of the word 'magical'. The man rocks, I hope he writes a thousand more books. :)

Reggie
24-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I've wanted to read Iain Banks for ages, but I've yet to find myself in the right mood to pick up a copy of one of his books. Reading your recommendation has rekindled my interest, I'm a big sci-fi fan. :D

chillitt
24-03-2006, 11:56 PM
if you are going to try iain m banks dont start with feersum enjin, its a bit... odd...

Crunchie
28-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts..

Flippin marvellous!! ;)

Leofric
11-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I like knowing what everyone is reading. I'm currently reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, who is absolutely my favourite author. I'm also sad though, because once I've read it, I'll have read all his books and I'm going to have to wait years to see another one (this one has only just come out).

I'm not. I'm current 26,000 words into a Novella I'm writing!

Will
11-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not. I'm current 26,000 words into a Novella I'm writing!

That's brilliant, I wish I had what it takes to be a writer. So do we get to read any extracts? :D

Leofric
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
That's brilliant, I wish I had what it takes to be a writer. So do we get to read any extracts? :D

Only if it gets published!

Elena
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Cizia Zyke - The parody [and others of his books]
Disquieting, exciting, coarse. Magnificent! :)

chillitt
12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
i'm reading 'the rik mayall, bigger than hitler, better than christ' its a bit irreverent... i was given this book, a small axe, and a bottle of vodka for my birthday last week!:eek:

Steve W
12-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Thought I'd revive this thread. I am currently reading this thread HAHAHA

Seriously though, my current reading book is Deception Point by Dan Brown

cathidaw
07-02-2007, 11:26 PM
[I'm halfway through 'Jeremy Paxman on Royalty'
Not to be missed, even if you can't stand the man!
Last year Iread most of George Orwell's stuff leaving out Animal Farm which I did not like

Madhatter
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
I've read a bit of bill brysons stuff, it's interesting, Quite dry and sarcastic I think. Notes from a smal country I think I've got.
I've been reading railway ghost stories, it's a book I've read before I just looked on the book shelf and thought I'd re read it.
Reading a book about last of the summer wine, the finest vintage. I didn't realise it had been running so long. It's got a lot of intersting info.
Also Murder mystery on the Great Western Railway. It's true and bizarre events that paint the railway in a chilling and sinister light. Drawing upon contemporary court records and newspaper accounts of the day the author recounts compelling stories of murder, death and mystery surrounding those who built, worked and travelled on the GWR. It's very good.
Never read any George Orwell, probably because all I ever hear people go on about is animal farm and if people go on and on about a book I rarely bother with the book or author.

cathidaw
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
[on the GWR. It's very good.
Never read any George Orwell, probably because all I ever hear people go on about is animal farm and if people go on and on about a book I rarely bother with the book or author.[/QUOTE]

What--never read Orwell !! (well ,I only did last year)
Animal Farm -- a no no for me.

Many people talk of 'Big brother ' - from '1984' - who have never read it --the expression has become part of our language---
I believe everyone who is at all interested in todays politics should read it and they will see where this country is heading . Fortunately Tony won't be here too much longer.
Let us hope that he doesn't ban us all (with yet another law) from reading this book before he goes so we that may take it as a warning.

You are right too- when people go on and on about a book it puts me off.
I never knowingly.read the Richard and Judy recommendations
Or the bookshop 'top 10'. Did you know that the book companies pay thousands of pounds - weekly- for WH Smith and all of the other big bookshop chains to put them on this list.

cathidaw
10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Just thought I'd get the obligatory Tolkien & Harry Potter mentions out of the way......

I got Treasure Island for Christmas, which is a damn fine book. Wuthering Heights is good too, along with Dracula & Frankenstein.

Never got into Dickens, though. I tried reading The Pickwick Papers a few years ago; I found school textbooks more interesting. :sleeping:

I like Dickens but yawned through Pickwick at school
Try his "The Uncommercial Traveller" true story.

I collect books and have just bought -from one of the antiquarian bookshops in Warwick--(the one at the bottom of the hill) 'A Child's History of England.
by Charles Dickens- never heard of it before. A beautiful little Victorian book starting 50 years before Christ and ending in 1837.
Quite a find.
Shut me up Ican go on forever:105: :)

cathidaw
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM

I read one or two books a week sometimes more--mostly in bed . If Itake my bedtime book downstairs, it calls to me all day and Iget no work done.

But-I looked at a booklist last week which had 250 books on it. They were asking me to tick off which I had read over the past 12 months.
The only one I could find to tick was 'The Beano' which I read with my 5 years old
Granddaughter
What have I been reading then/.

Shizara
19-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Leofric, how is the novel writing coming along?

cathidaw
19-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Hallo OLIVE .I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE READ TOO.
I joined a book reading club the other week.
My first book is 'Stranger on a Train' which Icould not put down subtitled: Daydreaming and smoking Around America with interruptions'
Has anyone read any of Sandi Toxvig's books?
I am now on my third book by her called 'Flying under Bridges' funny and sad. but quick moving.
The others were;'Whistling for the Elephants' and 'Gladys Reunited'
Strange titles but excellent unusual reading.
I have been reading Alan Bennet's autobiography, and for the first time in my life I dozed off reading a book.

akingston00
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
im reading the amber spyglas and it is sooooo:banghead3: ANOYING it dose not make sense!!:help: me plz

Steve W
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm currently reading XCross by James Patterson

akingston00
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
i just fineshed the amber spyglass (i only had 3 sentances left!!) im now reading harry potter 6

cathidaw
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Yesterday I finished 'Toast' by Nigel Slater and have now started 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith which looks as if it will be good.

How can anyone live in a house without reading matter? Ihave a few acquaintences who consider books 'clutter' and throw out newspapers the same day-read or not.
Ifind one of the compensations of living alone is that one can read at the meal table.

cathidaw
20-03-2008, 12:26 AM
[as I mentioned earlier ,Iam reading' white Teeth ' by Zadie Smith. Now -I am enjoying it immensly- it rambles on and on and is quite funny in parts and the writing is superb but without looking back I cannot for the life of me remember how it started-or even what it is all about.
perhaps it will all fall into place when I have finished it.

nutty_girl_2001
24-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm making my way through a list of 'i really should have read this by now' books.

Currently on 'Pet Semetary' by Stephen King...

cathidaw
25-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Now you have got me started on books---
I like to read books on social history although I do read other stuff. I belong to a reading group, so I obviously read books I would not usually pick up.
I dont read all of the prescribed books, usually because I'm not interested .The last one was quite fun---Goodbye Jimmy Choo, by Annie Sanders.
Last year I read ' The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist' by Robert Tressell which Ihad promised myself to read years ago. Don't know why I left it so long---I just think -I could have died and missed it, and what a waste that would have been!!
Right now Iam reading ,Arthur and George' by Julian Barnes--the Arthur being Conan Doyle, which I didn't know until I was partway through. very addictive.
I have just aquired 'The Blackest Streets' the life and death of an Victorian slum. True story about a notorious London area-the old Nichol.
I am savouring reading a book I found in my loft (I collect antique books)'The Plague Years' by Daniel Defoe. a beautiful old book.but dont know when Iwill get around to it.
Also I am reading again 'The Magic Wishing Chair' to my granddaughter and we are both loving it. Fabulous Enid Blyton.

I

cathidaw
23-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I really enjoyed Arthur and George altho' I skip read some of it when it was getting a bit long winded. by the way, I have seen quite a few in charity shops lately.
I am now reading 'Why dont you fly?, ? by Chris Smith.
He rode his bicycle from Bewdley to Beijing in 16 months.
He gave a talk/ photographic lecture to the Mercia group of Photographers the other week. He brought his trusty battered bike with him.
So good was the lecture that I bought his book from him and am now about a third through it-one of those books you dont want to end.
My bookreader group gave us Susan Hill's 'Woman in Black'.
It was ok, very well written-the prose a bit like H.G.Wells. but not my cuppa.

cathidaw
03-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Does anyone remember 'Cassandra' who wrote for various newspapers.
Ihave recently bought one of his books -published in the 60s.
How did I ever miss out on this for all these years.![
It is social history and some articles are so funny. I would like to upload some of the funnier ones on to these pages-not too many of course.
How do Ido this?

Shizara
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm currently reading "Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly.

Set in an ice station in Antarctica. A group of scientists makea discovery, something you wouldn't expect to find buried in a layer of ice 400 million years old.

cathidaw
04-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Anyone interested in reading should definitely visit Astley Book Farm which is not too far away from where Ilive.
They also have a 'Ten Bob Barn' where everything is -of course- 50p
There is a lot of junk but I have picked up some really good stuff to read from there.
It is in North Warwickshire out in the sticks and there is a coffee machine and comfy sofas--and it is warm.

jaz08
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
i haven't read til now The Alchemist of Paolo Coehlo, so that's what I'm reading. It's fantastic and full of inspirations to follow your dreams.

cathidaw
11-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Iam now reading 'England-England' by Julian Barnes
A very strange book but compulsive even though I have to skip the long winded bits.

cathidaw
03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Well now -I take back what I said about 'England England' by Julian Barnes.
Please could we have a section on 'books not to read'-or 'wasted time books'
I so struggled with its long windedness because the idea seemed good. It fizzled out in the end.
I felt quite put out.!!!

cathidaw
25-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Showing my age, Lex. I saw the film with Jennifer Jones in it.
Also I saw it again on tv last year.A tear jerker if ever there was one.

cathidaw
28-03-2009, 12:55 PM
the book I have nearly finished is "Dont Wake Me ar Doyles" by Maura Murphy
Again, I picked it up at a church fair for 50p- ---(Thought I'd better buy something , I've got enough felt needlecases and fancy knitted coat hangers to last forever) - brand new-and hardback.
About an Irish woman and family who came to England in the days when it was common to see signs--'No blacks , No Irish. and her struggles and triumphs.. funny at times.
The 'Wake' in the title refers to a Funeral wake. Her husband drank all his money away at a pub called Doyles. worth reading.
I'm not going to bother with Julian Barnes any more. I've come to the conclusion he's on a literary ego trip . One has to sift through the waffle to get to the story.

Emily-O
24-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I have just read "Wicked Angel", an olden day romance.
Like any old romance it had its start, its ultimatum and a happy ending. It was full of scandal (well... what was once scandelous). Let's jsut say for him to take her upstairs in front of his mother without wedlock...

If I am honest it was quite full of twaddle but highly amusing anyway!

cathidaw
28-07-2009, 11:42 PM
My book club read this month was
'The Future Homemakers of America',by Laurie Graham.
Uninspiring title but an extremely good read.
Starts during the war when the American airmen were stationed up in the 'uncivilised' fens of Norfolk., and follows them fo 40 years afterwards.
Could not put it down.

Josie
14-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Im currently reading The Mughal Throne but I have no idea of the author as the book is at home and I am at work haha!

crazzycat
27-08-2009, 01:44 PM
"American psycho" Bret Easton Ellis

cathidaw
12-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I picked up a George Orwell -for 10p-that I hadn't read-'Coming up for air'
. brillant writing if a bit gloomy.
Also for 10p-Tony Hawkes book 'To The Pyranees with a piano' very funny.
Someone told me that he wrote one called 'Round Ireland with a fridge'

I am now reading (not for 10p) 'Attention all Shipping' excellent and an amusing writer.

Don't you just hate books which say 'hilarious', 'screamingly funny' and
when you get them they are not. I keep away from those --even at 10p.

Josie
13-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I am currently reading my way through the Twilight Saga and am enjoying it all immensely!

I am on the third book and then its onto the last one - excited :)

Mellijelli
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Well i just love Joanne Harris books, 5 quarters of the orange, blackberry wine, chocolat and lollipop shoes, read them all, the way she combines food, magic and life keeps you enthralled right through the books, no boring bits, id recommend them to anyone. Iv done the whole Twilight, harry potter and lord of the rings sagas, a bit overrated already i think, but one cant deny they were all really brilliant!!

Another author is Georgette Heyer, maybe not every ones cup of tea though, they are 17th / 18th century novels with a bit of a detective stuff, romance and funny bits in, iv read the entire collection of her books, sad really as she has passed on now and so i have nothing more to read of hers :(.

Other books iv read that i used to enjoy a lot are those of Virginia Andrews, Flowers in the attic and the rest of the series that followed were all good.

Mellijelli
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Quite a bit, i mean they cant always fit everything and detail into the movie, so the book is always best, but i enjoy the movies too, even the potter movies were nothing compared to the books.

Josie
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
agreed but definately still good on both counts I think dont you?

I am currently readinf some Virginia Andrews books a friend gave me!

cathidaw
16-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Has anyone read Alan Titchmarsh's books?
He's as good a writer as a Gardener.
I have read 4 in the last couple of weeks. The one called ' Rosie' is one of the best I've read for ages.

cathidaw
18-06-2010, 12:03 AM
He's not an author I've ever fancied reading, to be honest.

I must admit that I didn't either, dont care for the man much,( boring) but was pleasantly surprised.He writes well.
I am also reading again, The Condition of the Working Class in Britain, By Fredreich Engles. Quite an eye opener and certainly much of it is relevent today.The really poor are still with us, Some things have changed but attitudes of politicians and the rich to the proletariats ( I love that word ) certainly haven't.

JohnWills
08-10-2010, 05:44 AM
I always read something new but now i am reading my favorite comic.

cathidaw
09-10-2010, 01:47 PM
JUST STRUGGLED THROUGH BERYL BAINBRIDGE'S 'ACCORDING TO QUEENIE'
My latest book club read.
TIME WASTED.!

Markantoney
05-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Currently I'm reading "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" which was written by J.K Rowling

SheltonBenjamin2011
05-09-2011, 09:25 AM
“His Dark Materials” Trilogy is one of the greatest Sci-Fi and fantasy novels I am reading these days. I give it two thumbs up!

HarisJulie
05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I’m currently reading a novel call ‘The Ghost at the Table’ by Suzanne Berne it’s a horror book so I’m really interested of reading it.

Gladys
05-09-2011, 10:44 PM
NHS stuff I'm afraid- very dull. it is Actually from the Department of Health- ' National Quality Requirements' ( for Out of Hours Providers- all GP's, Hospitals etc ) They are all supposed to be providing these. Are yours?

rebbonk
07-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Devil to Pay - Ross Kemp.

I won this and was a little doubtful about it. However, I was quite surprised, it's a decent read.

Mari
11-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Biography of the late, lovable Scottish Comedian, Rikki Fulton.

Love him. Here is one of his comedy sketches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SLLOqp1zo

cathidaw
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
American Notes , and
Pictures of Italy
both by Charles Dickens
I've had these books for years
Personal views of America in 1842 and Italy and France in 1848
Eye openers , both.

rebbonk
12-02-2012, 04:24 AM
Just finished Confessions of a Corporate Slut (Jacqueline Gum). Another book I'd won. Quite an interesting story of corporate lifestyle, but from a woman's point of view. I found parts of the story very true to life, even from a male perspective.

Just started A Shed of One's Own (Marcus Berkmann). This is all about mid-life and what it might hold for us. So far, remarkably true!

cathidaw
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm halfway through 'Dickens' by Hesketh Pearson
Dickens life story. He was quite a character himself, excitable, moody, impetuous, generous sometimes,, loved pretty women, was a dandy too. I ve just read an account of a party he went to -'dressed in all maroon with his ringlets bobbing beneath the chandeliers'.
I have had this book a paperback, for ever . Now I have to be careful as the pages are so brittle and brown. every one I turn I have to sellotape up. Its out of print now.I have a good collection of assorted old Dickens books. Never read before--bought for the lovely covers . What I have been missing !.
I'm going on again.............
Rebbonk I'm going to try 'A Shed of my own' next.
Have you got your own shed.? nothing like it when it's pouring down, the sound of the rain on the roof and you cozy inside.

rebbonk
03-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Just started An American Spy (Olen Steinhauer). Yet another competition win! I'm finding this a little difficult to get into, mainly because there are a lot of Chinese names involved.

rebbonk
09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Now about halfway through The Unlikely Spy (Paul Henderson). A book I'd forgotten about, until the good lady decided to clear my study out!

Coventry lad who made it to the top of Matrix Churchill, whilst gathering intelligence for the UK secret services. Frankly, he doesn't come across as the nicest of people and seems to have something to prove. However, I don't believe he deserved being stitched up by the British "establishment".

rebbonk
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Just finished In The Kingdom Of Men (Kim Barnes). Another competition win.

The story of life as an ex-pat wife in the gulf states. Not what I expected at all, and a surprisingly enjoyable read. Having spent time in the Middle East, I can definitely say that the plot is not as far fetched as it might at first seem. Definitely not a romance!

cathidaw
09-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I have finished -at 2am today-Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris.
A couldn't put downer--hence the matchsticks to keep my eyes open.
The same person who wrote 'Chocolat'

rebbonk
17-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Narrow Dog to Carcassonne (Terry Darlington) Story (covered via the BBC I think) of a narrow boat "sailing" across the channel into France. The antics of Jim the whippet and his liking for pork scratchings!

Good, but difficult read due to speech not being clearly identified. - Either that or I'm getting old and fussy!

Just learned that the boat was destroyed by fire at its home mooring just outside Stone in 2009.

cathidaw
17-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I read that too I thought it so funny. Alright when i got used to his lack of punctuation at times. and read another of his-cant remember what it was called.
Another was about a man who travelled from London to the source of the Thames on the last of the old barges.with a dog who hated water.
Must find the title.
'Blackberry Wine ' by Rosie Thomas' The person who wrote 'Chocolat'
and Moonlight and ashes by Rosie Goodwin--set in Coventry.
Recommended..........'Pompeii' by Robert Harris.

Joyrider
07-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Just started with “The map of time” by Felix J. Palma.

rebbonk
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
About halfway through In The Garden Of Beasts (Erik Larsen). About the US ambassador to Germany in the 30's. Allegedly compiled from diaries and private papers, it makes interesting reading. More-so when I can see similarities with the UK today.

The book was another competition win, not the sort of book I'd normally buy, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

cathidaw
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Finished Phillipa Gregory's "Meridon' last night.
I 'm looking for the title and author of a book which sounds like' Journey.
around Ireland with a fridge'
Anyone read it, if so I'd like t he the author please?
Also anything on the Irish Potato famine?
thanks.

rebbonk
07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Round Ireland with a fridge - Tony Hawks

Black Potatoes: The Story of the Great Irish Famine, 1845-1850 by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

The Great Irish Potato Famine by James S. Donnelly

cathidaw
08-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks rebbonk , I shall order them from the library.

cathidaw
15-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I have read the 'Runaway Jury' by John Grisholm
and because of that have now started 'The Partner'. Can't believe I've not read 'him' before.

rebbonk
18-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Started last night, The ghost (Robert Harris).

It must be good as I was up half the night reading it.

I believe it to be a thinly veiled pop at Tony Blair, but quite amusing and enjoyable.

cathidaw
18-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Have just bought it from a charity shop Shall read it when I've finished 'The partner' by John Grisholm'
Want a good sleep? Try reading,'Night train to Lisbon' by Pascal Mercier you'll go off after the fiRst page. I think it lost a lot in translation as it was an international best.

rebbonk
26-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Blue Eyed Salaryman (Niall Murtagh) Goes some way to reveal the reasons why Japanese methods do not work in the West. - Something a few consultants could do with learning.

Not a read for those not interested in business, or understanding the Japanese culture

Mari
04-09-2012, 05:11 AM
I have finished, Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy and now picked up The Return of the Native, by the same author.

Inbetween the internet and my usual daily chores, I am trying to self learn Punjabi, challenging but very enjoyable, I have a book with the cd to assist me. If I can just learn conversational Punjabi , I will be very happy, ok. it may take the old brain cells a while, but then I might kick start my brain cells into regenerating. :p

I couldn't find anywhere local that teaches Panjabi, I enquired at the Sikh temple, but they only teach children. :rolleyes:
I found that a Sikh temple in Wolverhampton holds lessons for adults, but there's no way I can travel that far for evening classes.
They probably teach it in Coventry somewhere but it's still a bit far.

rebbonk
04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Just started Warwickshire Tales of Mystery and Murder (Betty Smith). - A book I bought years ago, but didn't get round to reading.

Not found anything particularly new so far, but all tales have a slightly different slant.

cathidaw
04-09-2012, 01:23 PM
some of the temples in Foleshill have womens meetings-get togethers
and would welcome anyone there . i'VE BEENT OA FEW IN THE PAST AND THEY ARE WELCOMING AND FUN. aLSO THEY WILL HELP WITH THE LANGUAGE AS MOST EXCEPT THE OLD SPEAK eNGLISH. JUST GO INTO THE TEMPLE.
We used the one opposite Cash's Lane.

I have finished, Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy and now picked up The Return of the Native, by the same author.

Inbetween the internet and my usual daily chores, I am trying to self learn Punjabi, challenging but very enjoyable, I have a book with the cd to assist me. If I can just learn conversational Punjabi , I will be very happy, ok. it may take the old brain cells a while, but then I might kick start my brain cells into regenerating. :p

I couldn't find anywhere local that teaches Panjabi, I enquired at the Sikh temple, but they only teach children. :rolleyes:
I found that a Sikh temple in Wolverhampton holds lessons for adults, but there's no way I can travel that far for evening classes.
They probably teach it in Coventry somewhere but it's still a bit far.

rebbonk
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Almost finished Good News,Bad News (David Wolstencroft). A book that I've had for a while but hadn't got around to.

Modern day Smiley's people type of yarn about two spies being pitted against one another, only for them to realise they are not quite the enemies they think they are.

Nothing is as it seems in this book, nobody is who you think they are. The plot has more U turns than a dodgy Prime Minister.

cathidaw
10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm halfway through hardback Fathers and Sons by Richard Madeley==excellent. and have just bought JoHn Grishams paperback 'Bleachers',.Both brand new . 20p from carboot.

rebbonk
22-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Just finished The Great Brain Robbery (K. Allen Saddler). I have no idea where I picked this up, but it was quite a while ago.

An interesting story in the style of Mike Hammer, but set in the UK. Totally enjoyable (if you like US style private detectives) but I felt a little let down by the ending.

The book was written in the 1960's. - Is there anything better than the smell of old books?

rebbonk
23-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Almost finished Sahara (Clive Cussler)

One of a series of books about a guy called Dirk Pitt. I think you'd best describe Pitt as an American James Bond. The book's great for a bit of escapism and written "Boys Own" style.

Lex
24-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Just started Warwickshire Tales of Mystery and Murder (Betty Smith). - A book I bought years ago, but didn't get round to reading.

Not found anything particularly new so far, but all tales have a slightly different slant.

I've just bought this - it looked fairly interesting. It's at the bottom of a pile of largeish books I'm wanting to get through, so it'll be a while before I can share my thoughts on it!

Shizara
24-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I have a load of reading to catch up on including some short tales by a work colleague who writes in a similar manner to Bill Bryson about his own adventures.

cathidaw
25-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I am reading 'Are you talking to me?'
by John Walsh
alife through the movies. How films have an effect on our lives and often influence the way we are.
Sound boring but its a beautifully nostalgic tale from a young boy as he grows up..
Bought from 'the works' for 99p instead of 7.99.
He was literary editor of the Times at one time.

Lex
27-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm coming to the end of 'The Legends of Dune' trilogy; it's a good read if you're into science fiction, but maybe not amogst the great classics.

rebbonk
28-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Have just finished Focus on Gambling (Lenox E Figgis) - Lots of statistics on the odds of winning (or more likely losing) your bets on several different games and pastimes!

Currently reading Wolf Pack (Gordon Williamson) about the German U boats of WW2. - It's a very interesting read, and goes a lot deeper (sorry!) than I thought it would. I didn't realise that there were so many varieties of submarine or just how extensive the support network was

cathidaw
30-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm halfway through 'Do you miss me?' by Karen Rose
excellent and long murder mystery, and -- rebbonk, I did get 'Round Ireland with a fridge'
Did nothing no housework or washing up 'til I'd read it.
Slutty !

rebbonk
30-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Some of my recent reading...

The Hustlers: Gambling, Greed and the Perfect Con (Douglas Thompson) A wonderful look at London life during the 50s/60s with the emphasis on gambling and how our current laws evolved. A wonderful set of colourful, but quite ruthless characters, and some very surprising links to the higher echelons of society.

I won a copy of Poppy Day (Amanda Prowse) but after the first few pages it became clear it wasn't my type of book, so I passed it on to a lady friend.

Business Blunders (John Harvey-Jones, Geoff Tibballs) You really wouldn't believe the stupidity of some companies. Ford and Coke just to name two.

SOE's Secret Weapons Centre: Station 12 (Des Turner) I stumbled across this one whilst doing some research about a local aerodrome. Quite a fantastic read of the inventiveness of our people in the face of adversity. Being an ex-engineer I thoroughly enjoyed it.

rebbonk
11-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Just finished The Circuit (Bob Shepherd) A very different look at the war on terror from the eyes of an ex-SAS guy involved in the "close protection" circuit, typically looking after media personnel in war torn areas of the middle east.

Looks like (once again) we aren't being told the whole truth by our lords/masters and the media.

An excellent read and a bit of an eye opener.

cathidaw
11-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Anne Robinson
Story of an unfit mother

Alan Bennet
Untold Stories.

Am wading through John Grisham's books.

rebbonk
28-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Just finished Elite (Floyd Woodrow and Simon Acland). All about building first class teams from a former SAS member. (Another competition win)

An incredibly interesting read, and quite a revelation in places. To my mind, the authors place a little too much emphasis on personality profiling, but when you consider the SAS and their achievements, maybe they're right? This book certainly highlights why most workplace teams are mediocre at best.

Just started Lorna Doone (Richard Doddridge Blackmore) and to be honest it's giving me a headache. I was lent this book by a friend after discussing English literature one night. Sorry, but the style and language use here are just making this one hard going. I know I won't finish it.

cathidaw
01-03-2013, 01:55 AM
i TOO LOVE THE SMELL OF OLD BOOKS. have a motley collection of original CHARLES DICKENS BOOKS WITH LEATHER COVERS -AND WELL READ They dont smell musty but have rich old bookshop smell. Just read his 'pictures of Italy'
Get quite a few from WARWICK BUT BOOKSEARCH AT hAY ON wYE.
I cant imagine the smell of a kindle that age--if they last.
I'm still gently wading through Alan Bennett's 'untold stories' 635 pages.

Just finished The Great Brain Robbery (K. Allen Saddler). I have no idea where I picked this up, but it was quite a while ago.

An interesting story in the style of Mike Hammer, but set in the UK. Totally enjoyable (if you like US style private detectives) but I felt a little let down by the ending.

The book was written in the 1960's. - Is there anything better than the smell of old books?

rebbonk
14-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Just finished Signal Red (Robert Ryan) - A 'fictionalised' account of the great train robbery. Once I started this, I couldn't put it down. I heavily suspect that this is quite a close truth to what actually happened. It really was a good read.

Just started reading Empire of the Clouds - When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World (James Hamilton-Paterson) Not the easiest of reads, but it makes you wonder just where it all went wrong for the UK. After the war we led the aviation world; perhaps it it wasn't for a couple of stupid government decisions we still would?

cathidaw
14-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Today I have finished reading 'The world according to Clarkson'
Wild -over the top- outrageous and often
so funny.

Lex
21-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick (the book Bladerunner's based on); it's a book I've struggled to get into, and only persisted with it because it's a short book (<200 pages).

cathidaw
21-03-2013, 11:13 PM
still gently wandering through Alan Bennets 'Untold Stories'
Will miss it when I've finished.
In between, I'm reading Peter Kay's Sound of Laughter' Very funny sometimes-a bit contrived.but I'm enjoying it.

rebbonk
31-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Now about halfway through The life of Ian Fleming (John Pearson)

Another book that I picked up somewhere on my various travels but one that I had forgotten about.

An excellent read that gives up many of the secrets as to where the Bond character actually came from. The book covers Fleming the man, not just the writer and reveals several interesting insights. Fleming insecure? - You'd better believe it!

cathidaw
01-04-2013, 12:17 AM
finished Peter Kay YESTERDAY. and today bought from car boot'Oh Carol'. by Carol McGiffin--now on loose women
Also bought another dvd of 'Sharpe' which I really like.with Sean Bean.

rebbonk
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Just finished The Final Judgement (Daniel Easterman)

The third Reich didn't suddenly die at the end of WWII but is alive and well. An interesting thriller that was spoiled (for me) by putting in far too much religious detail.

cathidaw
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I have nearly read the most trashy book. I had to read it to see if it got better. It didn't
The book called 'Oh Carol' by Carol McGiffen, her life and loves.
Why would anyone want to flag up their immoral life, unless it is for fame.
She appears quite normal on Loose Women
I dont like her any more.

Gladys
11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh Dear- Cathidaw- Don't you think these people actually never ever type anything? I think they employ a person to do it for them and all they do is give them a tape with a mish mash of their lives and stories to build a book around purely for sales purposes. They are in the public eye so they know if they get it promoted it will get published only from the high profile promoted through TV programmes like that and thus it will sell. If it is a rubbish read, then no problem because the book was bought, so its a done deal; they get the money. C***py isn't it? I liked her too and she does spout some very valid comments but at times and more recently she seems to be flagging in her youthful esteem.

cathidaw
14-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm glad I only paid 10p for it.

rebbonk
22-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Just finished Sterling (Robert Cameron)

Yet another book that I won!

Ex-SAS member goes freelance, wiping out undesirables that our spineless government refuse to tackle. An interesting read that I suspect gives quite a lot away of how things work "behind" the scenes.

cathidaw
23-04-2013, 12:27 PM
I finished 'Oh Carol' and changed my previous opinion of her by the end of the book..
She is honest and I like that.
I have only just finished Arnold Bennett's, "Anna of the five towns" published 1902.. charmingly old fashioned writing.

I would recommend this book as required reading for young girls of today. To realise how a woman's situation in life has changed in the last 100 years...How much we have fought to be equal.

rebbonk
14-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Almost finished Alfie (Bill Naughton). Great read, if you enjoyed the film you'll likely enjoy the book. Likely to appeal more to men than women though.

Yet another competition win, along with Get Carter.

rebbonk
12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I’ve been a bit tardy of late updating the stuff I’ve been reading. So, here we go (all kindle editions and free at the time of download)…

Keyword comedy comedy comedy (a comedy) (Trevor Mcinsley) One man’s adventures winding up companies by email. Rather juvenile and tedious.

Tightwad (Peter Michael) How mean can people be? Very if you believe the few anecdotes in this book.

Brain (Dermot Davis) A brilliant read, though it started to lose credibility toward the end. A man writes a book as a parody, only to find people taking it seriously.

The Debt (Simon Kernick) A wonderful short story of the underworld written specifically for BMW.

Peterman (Peggie Benton) The exploits of a safe cracker. Fascinating read and much is allegedly true. Apparently ghost written, but still good.

The Fixer (Boyd Craven III) A guy suffering cancer takes on the role of equaliser. Interesting if short read.

Deaths Disciple (James Whitworth) Superb read rather in the vein of Morse and Lewis. I’d cracked who was guilty before the end, but hadn’t caught on as to why, though the clues were there. Well set in the Whitby area with references and suggestions of a Dracula connection.

Show No Mercy (Julie Morrigan) A collection of 13 short stories exploring the darker side of humanity. Bit mixed, a couple of the stories were quite good.

Swing (Zachary Leeman) A bored wife wants to start ‘swinging’. Her husband doesn’t like the idea but goes along with it. What can possibly go wrong? Short, but sweet.

rebbonk
23-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Just finished Autobiography of a Thief (Bruce Reynolds)

I actually bought this one!

A very good read and something that gives you an insight of the man who led the gang on the Great Train Robbery. I'm not sure about many things (mainly his character and motives) in this book but did learn a lot. All in all, a well written read that exposes some of the seamier side of life.

rebbonk
05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
A few more recent books that I’ve read, all Kindle editions, and all at the right price. (£0.00)

Red Mist (David Tomlinson) Great gritty read about revenge. Nice twist at the end.

Contrail (Malcolm Havard) A tale of intrigue and treachery based around the development of the De Havilland Comet. Another good, worthy read.

Please Laugh At My Funeral (Kole McRae) Twisted and dark tale about a guy who announces that in 30 days time he is going to kill himself.

10 Frugal Living Tips (Shabbir Hazari) If you don’t already know these then you deserve all you’ll get.

Ratio Analysis Fundamentals (Axel Tracy) Ought be mandatory pre reading before taking any business course.

The Insane Man’s Handbook (Doo Doo Brown) Drugs and writing don’t mix well, and I guess it shows here.

The Revenge Guy (Revenge Guy) Rubbish copy straight from the internet pages of the same name.

A Murder of No Account (Julia Underwood) Superb war time murder mystery.

Exposing The Ponzi Masters (James L Paris) An investigation into religion ripping people off. This was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

Charisma 10 Leadership Lessons From Ray Kroc’s Life (Maximilian Leader) McDonalds founder knows something and shares it. Quite an interesting little book.

A Dog’s Tail (Val Baker Addicott) The life of a dog narrated by Leo the Labrador. Delightfulyl light read that almost moved me to tears at the end.

Lex
06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm flicking through a book on the buildings of Warwickshire (which includes Birmingham), which I found in a 2nd hand bookshop a while ago. It's fairly out of date - published in 1961! - and not the most gripping of reads, but has a couple of interesting facts in it.

rebbonk
17-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Just finished Game (Anders De La Motte)

A review copy and it was brilliant! Hooked me from start to finish. A very plausible "reality game" where nobody is quite what they appear. Well worth a read.

I've read a lot of Kindle freebies lately, some good, some not so...

Tesc-Mo (Martin Pond) A guy tries to last a month without using a supermarket. He fails!

Waiting to Die and Lakeside Murders (Christopher Kenworthy) Murder and mayhem in the lake district. Both decent reads, but littered with typos!

Ratcatcher (Tim Stevens) A very taught and quite plausible thriller

Christmas Ghost Stories (Stewart King) A couple of very nasty ones in here.

Phoenix Rising (Declan Connor) The UK is bankrupt and being run by a corrupt EU. Only a short story, but it left me baffled.

Prospero's Mirror (A.N. Donaldson) A nasty story in the name (and style) of M.R. James. This one plays with your mind!

Road Kills (Kit Moore Rob North) A far fetched thriller about corruption throughout the USA. Apparently, the Mafia have control of almost everything.

Five in Six (Christian Galaca) Russian roulette short story. Do you feel lucky?

Unlikely Graves (Rodney Hobson) Set around Lincolnshire, murder, revenge and dark secrets. Not a bad read

Lex
24-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Working my way through a bit of HP Lovecraft at the minute; definitely worth reading: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/...s/ccweird.aspx

rebbonk
24-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Enough rope - Oliver Tidy. Rather an unpleasant tale but has me hooked. Free for kindle at the mo'!

Also reading HMS Wasp - Peter Holloway. Up to now, it reminds me of my formative years after school. Given free to me on condition I write a review.

cathidaw
30-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I am back now reading Nevill Shute after many years, and love them just as much.
When I was confined to my house-not able to drive for 6 months - I read 15 of John Grisham's books.
Have just finished J B Priestly's 'English Journey' and intend to read more of his after my operation.
Have just bought his 'Travelling Companions'.
I get out of print books from Abe Books-quite cheaply. They are looking for Das Kapital and Mein Kampf for me-cheap versions- to get my teeth into whilst I'm off. .
Any other recommendations gratefully received.I like historical stuff.Irish Famine, Scottish Clearances, (I've read those) and such.
Have just read one of James Pattersons books and quite liked it.

cathidaw
26-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Just finished the most fantastic book, odd and unusual too.
Read it!!.
The Restraint of Beasts' by Magnus Mills.

rebbonk
26-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Scapegoat - Ryan Clifford

A very twisted book about state sponsored killing amongst other things.

I downloaded the kindle version (it was free) and found it surprisingly good. However, it contains plenty of bad language and some very questionable sexual themes. Certainly only for the broad minded.

cathidaw
28-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm flicking through a book on the buildings of Warwickshire (which includes Birmingham), which I found in a 2nd hand bookshop a while ago. It's fairly out of date - published in 1961! - and not the most gripping of reads, but has a couple of interesting facts in it.

Just before Christmas we went to Polesworth Market and it was shut as it started to rain.On the way out we stopped at what I thought was a restaurant which happened to be a really smelly foreign food outlet. We sat outside a shop next door wondering what to do next. Casually looking at the windows covered in posters we realised that the shop Was a wonderful antiquarian bookshop---and it was open. One lady was packing books and one was labelling. The lady said they sold on line,that's why they were open that day-work to do-and hoped that someone like us called in. It was so packed and we had to squeeze through and twist through columns of books.Upstairs and out in the back room.
Of course we bought!! .I wondered how they knew where everything was, but when I asked if they had anything about the Newdigates of Arbury she said casually--left-left again and top shelf on the left.
The shop was a delight.

Lex
29-01-2015, 08:11 PM
I love 2nd hand book shops - there's a couple in Warwick I like to mooch around in occasionally. I passed through Hay-on-Wye a couple of years ago, and managed to spend a small fortune in the short time I was there.

rebbonk
29-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I really have to do Hay-on-Wye but it'll be without Mrs Rebbonk and with a full wallet.

I love old bookshops.

There's one in Coventry called Gosford books. Not only could I browse for hours, but you meet some really interesting people in there.

Although I've picked up some good reads in charity shops, you can't beat the dedicated second-hand bookshop.

As an aside, I bought a book for £34 from Oxfam. A few days later I had it valued at over £200!

cathidaw
21-04-2015, 10:57 AM
I have been to Hay-on -Wye and usually go b and b. There is so much to see it's a joy.
My latest wonderful read is 'The History of the Irish Famine' by John Kelly. Out of a population of 4.5million, 1 million starved to death due to our then government and 1 million emigrated, many paid for by the government to get rid of the responsibility.
A book to get teeth into and to put into perspective this last government and the ones which have been before it. A change is needed.

rebbonk
21-04-2015, 12:01 PM
My family fled the potato famine.

Shame I really know nothing more about what happened. The trail goes cold as regards the family in Ireland.

Lex
21-04-2015, 08:44 PM
I briefly passed through Hay on a walking holiday a couple of years ago, and the festival just happened to be on. I didn't get to see much of the festival, but managed to get a trilogy by on of my favourite authors - Peter F Hamilton - for £10 (a real bargain for 3,500 pages of reading!)

cathidaw
21-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Shame I really know nothing more about what happened. The trail goes cold as regards the family in Ireland.

Rebbonk
YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THIS BOOK !! It has made up my mind who I am voting for.

cathidaw
21-04-2015, 10:33 PM

rebbonk, this book is a must if you like history.

rebbonk
22-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Cathidaw, this is "the graves are walking" - the history of the Irish famine, is it?

cathidaw
23-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Yes,I'm halfway through it.It has affected me very much and as I said before-I think-Changed my complete outlook on any government-or people having too much power.

Margaret
11-06-2015, 05:23 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orwell-Huxley-The-Fallacies-Futurity/dp/1291951555#reader_1291951555

I am reading a new book called , Orwell, Huxley and the Fallacies of Futurity.
By Robert Neville.

For part of the book he imagines a conversation between these two great writers just after 1984 came out, and therefore just before Orwell's own untimely death.
The other bits look at the themes in the book and some of the main ideas.
What I liked about it was that it does not buy into the standard line we seem to get nowadays, that their two great novels are prophetic. Instead, Neville perceptively sees both men agreeing that they are more warnings than anything else. Obviously I can see the writer has done a lot of research, but its engaging and though provoking to read with many, many ideas in it. I bought it on Amazon.

rebbonk
12-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Taken for Dead by Graham Masterton

It's the 4th book in a series about a female police detective. I've not read the earlier books, but this one was sent to me for review. I made the mistake of flipping through the first few pages and now I'm hooked. It really is a good read with a taut, fast flowing, plot.

I've also got a copy of The Establishment: And how they get away with it by Owen Jones for review.

Another good read that takes a look behind the thin veneer of democracy that we live in.

cathidaw
13-06-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm now reading -again-A Town Like Alice-Neville Shute.
Just finishes the original documentary of Rabbit Proof Fence.And am looking down Abe Books lists to see what they have in the sale of oldies out of prints.--all freepostage

Margaret
16-11-2015, 01:14 PM
A birthday present.
Another true story of a young nurse in Wartime London.
Bandaging in the Blitz.

rebbonk
16-11-2015, 08:02 PM
I've just finished a book about the Mosquito aircraft. Really, this was the first multi-role combat aircraft, but the surprising thing is that nobody originally wanted it! Dead dry and boring to read, but the pictures really made up for it.

Mosquito: The Original Multi-Role Combat Aircraft Hardcover – Graham M. Simons

cathidaw
18-11-2015, 10:23 PM
I have finished at long last,'The woman who went to bed for a year' Greatly acclaimed but half way through-- It lost the plot and so did I.
Just ordered, 'Accidence will happen,the non pedantic guide to English'.by Oliver Kamm
Sounds interesting

Daisy22
18-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Hello everyone! I am Daisy Simpson, a university professor,and professional freelance writer. I love books please suggest me any novel and other book which is romantic ?

Finebyme
18-02-2017, 01:50 PM
A few Classics I have read.

L. Tolstoy, War & Peace. by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

Anna Karenena, Leo Tolstoy.

A Room with a View, by E. M. Forster.

cathidaw
18-02-2017, 02:52 PM
H allo Daisy,
Nice to have a woman on the scene again, and welcome.
I read a lot too and belong to 2 book clubs and write a little.
I have just finished reading, a spy thriller- a subject I don't normally choose , and could not put it down.'A Foreign Country' by Charles Cummings. I read romances too but not historical faction.
What have you been reading recently?

Lex
10-07-2018, 08:09 PM
I'm currently reading a book on the history of Freemasonry by an author called Michael Johnstone. It's a really good read, going through the actual history of the Freemasons, and none of the conspiracy rubbish.

rebbonk
11-07-2018, 09:56 AM
I've just finished A Bluffers Guide To Beer. I think I've read it previously, but it was sent to me for review. It was an enjoyable read.

rebbonk
11-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I've read several Masonic books in the past. I have to say that the content varies wildly. In truth, I like the conspiracy ones, many are quite amusing.

Lex
11-07-2018, 09:07 PM
I find that kind of thing fun to read and pick holes in.

rebbonk
09-11-2018, 06:55 PM
I've got a pre publication copy of "The Mosul Legacy" by Christopher Lowery. It's three tales wrapped into one, but a gripping read.

cathidaw
10-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Just read 'A long and winding road' by Alan Johnson' an excellent read

and have started 'The Young Lloyd George', byJohn Grigg.It has started well

I've always been interested in Lloyd George.I lived in Criccieth for a couple of years and often visited Llanystumdwy his village next door to see his tiny house and the beautiful river surrounding his grave nearby.The cottage was as he left it-with stuff about and very dusty, but when I visited the last tim eit had been 'poshed up' and its character had gone.
bUT THE RIVER WAS STILL BEAUTIFUL.

Lex
22-04-2020, 07:58 PM
I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings at the minute. It was my favourite book when I was a kid, and I'm enjoying losing myself in a fantasy world & forgetting the real thing in these stressful times!

rebbonk
22-04-2020, 08:30 PM
I've got a copy of Gathering Evidence by Martin MacInnes for review. Other reviewers are raving over it. I'm within 30 pages of the end and I haven't got a damned clue what it's about!

Lex
26-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Has anyone read any good books recently? I've more or less read everything by my favourite authors (sometimes twice!) - mostly science fiction & fantasy - and need some inspiration, maybe even different genres!

rebbonk
26-01-2021, 11:52 PM
I can highly recommend Rob Ratcliffe's lad-lit series. I'm currently reading his so far unpublished Tindered and I can't help smiling.

Full disclosure, I do know Rob.

If you have an e-reader, Lex search for free books on Amazon or on https://b-ok.cc/. I've not personally bought a book for ages.

Lex
27-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Great, thanks Rebbonk! :)

Lex
01-01-2022, 04:59 PM
Just finished reading these books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20739796-the-stone-man
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55693615-the-empty-men

They're science fiction books, and a bit graphic in places, but they're a great read & Coventry features heavily. (Looks like a 3rd book might be on the way, too).

rebbonk
01-01-2022, 08:43 PM
I'm still reviewing books. The guy that used to run things has retired and the lady that has taken over seems to like me because I deliver the reviews regularly. She sent me 4 books before Christmas, all historic and only one fiction. I'm learning more about history than I ever did to get my history 'O' level!

Lex
01-01-2022, 09:54 PM
I've finally taken up your Rob Radcliffe recommendation, Rebbonk. Got a couple of books to get through first, but am looking forward to reading the 1st instalment.

rebbonk
02-01-2022, 01:38 PM
Which ones did you get, Lex? Rob's recently branched out into the fantasy genre, I'm not overly keen on them but the lad-lit series still makes me laugh like an adolescent schoolboy.

Lex
02-01-2022, 01:44 PM
'Checking Out'. Looks like it's the 1st of his 'lad-lit' series. Thought I'd give it a go & see what it's like.

rebbonk
03-01-2022, 01:30 PM
I had a very early copy of that, I really enjoyed it and laughed quite a lot. I look forward to hearing your views.

Lex
03-01-2022, 07:50 PM
I'll let you know when I've read it - got a couple of others to get through 1st.

Lex
27-05-2022, 06:20 PM
'Checking Out'. Looks like it's the 1st of his 'lad-lit' series. Thought I'd give it a go & see what it's like.

I had a read of 'Checking Out', Rebbonk. I enjoyed it, but wasn't quite my thing.

Lex
27-05-2022, 06:23 PM
Just finished reading these books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20739796-the-stone-man
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55693615-the-empty-men

They're science fiction books, and a bit graphic in places, but they're a great read & Coventry features heavily. (Looks like a 3rd book might be on the way, too).

I'm most of the way through the 3rd book in the series - very compulsive reading.

rebbonk
27-05-2022, 11:50 PM
I had a read of 'Checking Out', Rebbonk. I enjoyed it, but wasn't quite my thing.

That's fair enough, Lex, we're all different. I've just written a 'stinking' review of a book and the administrator apologised for sending it to me. She was kind enough to send me another as a consolation gift!

I'm currently re-reading 13 against the Bank a true story of a group that took on the casinos and won.

Lex
28-05-2022, 04:16 PM
That sounds interesting, Rebbonk.

rebbonk
28-05-2022, 07:21 PM
If you have an e-reader, Lex you can get it for free. ( https://b-ok.cc/ ) - You can get rather a lot free there! ;)

Lex
29-05-2022, 08:01 AM
Thanks Rebbonk. I'll look it up at some point.

Mister H
08-07-2022, 04:25 PM
I am presently reading Dr Kissinger's 'On China'.
It is an utterly first class book, quite un-put-downable. I shouldn't really laugh, but there are some amusing bits in it, (perhaps intentional because Kissinger has a dry, caustic wit). One of the British envoys at the time of the Opium Wars was called by a name which translates in Mandarin as 'laboriously vile." A Chinese Emperor called Britain a "a remote island, filled with red-headed barbarians" and noted that they all wear funny trousers. Palmerston said he didn't want Hong Kong because there was nothing there, "there's not a single house standing there."

rebbonk
08-07-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm currently reviewing Rearming The RAF for The Second World War by Adrian Phillips. So far it seems readable and interesting.

Incidentally, earlier this week I gave over £500 (retail) worth of books (read once for review purposes) to a charity collection. - The poor guy could hardly walk down the path with them! Unfortunately, none of my personal connections reads. On the bright side, I now have a little space for some more books. ;)