PDA

View Full Version : Wot no Bovril?

Will
22-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm hoping it's just a shortage as they had to recall some jars because of possible salmonella. I can't find it in any stores anywhere! I really hope they haven't gone out of business or something terrible. Bovril is only secondry to oxygen in my biological requirements.

I couldn't imagine a world without Bovril, it doesn't bare thinking about.

Shizara
23-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll go with Sanitarium Marmite - it tastes different to the local offering and has a history of it's own, much of which is probably unknown in this part of the world ...

Fact or Fiction (http://www.marmite.co.nz/home-page/fact-or-fiction)

So I do understand your sentiments regarding trying to imagine a world without Bovril. Equally, I can't imagine a world without Sanitarium Marmite!

Gladys
23-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Why hasn't the media said anything. We haven't heard about any 'Bovril' problems down here. I am a Marmite followerer, and I too understand what it must feel like to have your 'comfort' removed. Chin up; there's always Daddy's sauce. Not quite the same but as unusual; you either love it or hate it.:D

Will
24-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I do love Martmite too, I have Marmite on Toast, and Bovril for Sandwitches. I'm the eating as opposed to drinking variety of Bovril user. :)

I even like Vegemite from Oz and New Zealand, it tastes similar but has a compeltely differant consistancy. Non of them can fill the gap though.

Chris
23-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Ya..I am a newbie to the forum...You will either like me or hate me (lol)As i live in Burton on trent...We have best foods right on our door step..You mite well ask Who are best foods...Best foods are the company that has taken over Bovril...If any of you wont bovril please let me know...but you will have to pay P/P...It is a lot cheaper than you can buy it from the supermarket price...

As i work in a brewery(In Burton the big American one)we supply yeast that goes in to the making of yeast....There is no shortage as far as i know of...Chris

Will
23-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Chris, that is possibly the best news I've heard in a long time! Do they still make the 500g jars? I can only get hold of the 250g jars, and I get through those in a few days sometimes.

I'd be more then happy to take you up on your offer. What amount are we talking, and what costs? :)

Chris
23-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Chris, that is possibly the best news I've heard in a long time! Do they still make the 500g jars? I can only get hold of the 250g jars, and I get through those in a few days sometimes.

I'd be more then happy to take you up on your offer. What amount are we talking, and what costs? :)

They are mostly 250gr jars At 50p each and comes in a dozen pact...But is it Bovril(is beef) or marmie(is vegie)..Please state wich one..Chris

Will
23-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Bovril. :)

cathidaw
23-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Who would have thought that 'Bovril 'would havecreated so many replies so quickly.
That's the British for you.
I'm a Marmite fan myself being almost vegetarian. I say almost because I dont eat 4 legged meat.
Bovril reminds me of freezing outdoor swimming pools when I was young, skinny kids-blue 'with cold' queuing up for hot Bovril at the kiosk. Bliss.!
My Mum favoured Virol but I cant remember what it tasted like.

A friend of mine many years ago told me of his first train ride in England. He had been a Belgian soldier stationed in Wales and travelled to North Wales from Dover, He was so tired, so went to sleep. When he awoke he saw the sign VIROL at the first station , so went back to sleep. Later when he woke up there it was again. He thought he'd ended up back again at the same place so asked the guard who tried to explain that it was an advert. My friend didn't speak much English and the Guard who was Welsh just nodded and ushered him back on the train.
To cut along story short--every station had large Virol adverts and all place names and signposts were taken down to confuse the enemy-- during the war---my friend reached his target Porthmadoc----dont know how if it wasn't named though.
It took him 11 hours to get there, ..but at least the train turned up.