PDA

View Full Version : Evening out in Stratford

Madhatter
16-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Where would you suggest going, where's nice to take a girl. Name some pubs, or give me some alternatives to pubs please. :)

Gladys
16-09-2008, 11:25 AM
It depends what you want from an evening; quiet cosy place like a pub where you can get a meal too or just chat, busy young 'in' scene place with music or a night club where you can dance or none of that, perhaps the theatre. Others can advise on these sort of venues but think about what you want in the evening you plan and what your date might enjoy.I only know of Chicagos which is a nightclub and does food. Any suggestions everyone? Good Luck:)

Madhatter
19-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Somewhere quiet, perhaps for a meal, I think. It got cancelled by the way, might do it tonight- friday, or Sunday.
Shes from oxfordshire so we thought we'd meet somewhere between, and we both sort of know where stratford is. Birmingham might have more choice but stratford is different for us and I don't want the hassle of Birmingham.
Whats the two pubs by the river and canal like, ones opposite side to Bancroft Gardens, ones a table table other side of the road.

Also where's the best place to park for an evening.

chillitt
19-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Try the Howard Arms at Ilmington. It's miles out of Stratford, but will shorten her journey, and the food is fantastic.

Madhatter
20-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks to all.
Red Lion is where I was thinking of, but on reflection, I can remember the service being very poor there in the summer, food was okay but we were kept waiting to pay our bill. There's not enough staff for the amount of customers. I can never understand places having close on a hundred tables, there's not a hope in hell of serving them all. Other was cox's yard but that looks noisy, says its got live music. I wanted to meet somewhere In Stratford the the first time but may try the others if there's a future.

Gladys
20-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Why not go off the wall and do something completely random? It will wow for sure. I went on the Waverley to Bournemouth from Portsmouth on Thursday. Outward journey 3+ hours of liesurely fun. Lovely weather, calm conditions, great vessel;very romantic. The only draw back was that at pick up time from B'mouth the tide was too low to get us so we were bused home.(Issues about that.) Anyway, there were 'cruise' options where you stay aboard and get taken to Lulworth Cove in Dorset, or get off at B'mouth and get another ferry to Swanage. The moral of my tale is do the Lulworth Cove trip. That way you go all the way there and back.
It's not tha far from Warwickshire. Perhaps this is a good one for a further date. Then book a hotel. There are so many to choose from and maybe fly back from B'mouth or Southampton to Birmingham airport. Hope this helps. LOL xxx:D

Madhatter
21-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I certainly would not ever fly from any where in the uk to Birmingham and any one that does should be tortured for the damage they're inflicting on the planet for a needless and extravagant journey. I'd like a boat trip though but Portsmouth is 164 miles away. I could stay at my brothers on the island I suppose. Personally I think if I were going on water I'd rent a canal boat.

Gladys
21-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I certainly would not ever fly from any where in the uk to Birmingham and any one that does should be tortured for the damage they're inflicting on the planet for a needless and extravagant journey. I'd like a boat trip though but Portsmouth is 164 miles away. I could stay at my brothers on the island I suppose. Personally I think if I were going on water I'd rent a canal boat.

That's a bit sharp Mr Madhatter, Flying is not compulsory and as I said just an 'off the wall' suggestion more suited for a later date if all seems to be working out. What ever floats your boat.The drive to and from Portsmouth to the Warwick area is only 2 hours, we do it regularly. (traffic permitting)
By the way, The Waverly is a Paddle Steamer built in 1947 and was based in Glasgow.She's beautiful and if you're some one who likes the age of steam, you have to pass the open engine room to get to the forehead mess. The huge pistons are mesmerising. Hope all goes well with what ever you decide.:D :)

Madhatter
21-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Very nice didn't realise it was steam, how do you book that then? you're original post was a bit vague.
I want to stick to stratford first time, if it ever happens so any suggestions.
As you do seem to travel about though how feel free to give us any others suggestions you've got.
Thanks

Gladys
22-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I have looked at thier website which isn't very easy to find.I put it into the yahoo search engine and found it 2nd down on the list when I entered Portsmouth Excursions. If you put in Waverly Excursions alot of unofficial sites come up populated by e enthusiasts but they show some very nice pictures of her. The timetable is either done in a peculiar way or it is saying (not very clearly) that the last cruise scheduled is 25th September. It may be that they load each month's schedule one at a time. The online booking address is given as www.waverlyexcursions.co.uk and a phone number of 0845 130 4647. Have a look anyway. Hope what ever you decide is fun.:D

Since replying to you,I have been told by peeps who have done the cruise before that The Waverly goes all around The UK. This may explain why the timetable is set by month to month and it asks you to click on where you are on the UK map. x

Madhatter
23-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Who fancies a date on the waverley , or to Stratford Upon Avon. ?

Gladys
23-09-2008, 09:40 PM
For Madhatter; What the Globe? I just want to say with your feelings about flying across The UK, tonight on BBC South Today at 2240 they talked about some research from a Professor at Southampton Uni whois saying it is greener to fly from So'ton airport to Scotland than it is to drive or take the train. The train is apparently the worst. I don't know where you find his research except you could log on to the BBC's website for South Today or ring them. They should be able to direct you. :D