PDA

View Full Version : Heritage weekend. Coventry got it right.

cathidaw
14-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Somehow they got it right, I must give credit to the city council on this, national heritage weekend.
I went to St Mary's Hall end had the most fascinating afternoon. Everything was so well organised--how on earth did they work out the weather !!
I havent been for about 6 years to have a proper look around. The blue badge guides were most informative and the stands for various organisations well represented.
unfortunately it was so good and took up so much time, I had no time to go anywhere else except the Cathedral and new museum areas. I may go again tomorrow. In the cathedral I actually got close up to the Sutherland tapestry.
(SSSHHH I touched it with the back of my hand.) A wonderful work of art.The leaking roof has left damp patches, but they are now drying out well.(and the roof has been repaired.
We complain of so many things about Coventry but we have so much here which is good and beautiful that we must always complain and protest when necessary to let 'them' know that 'we' are keeping our beady eyes upon them to conserve this heritage.
One other thing also which lifted my spirits,-- but may not meet everyone's approval--Outside the new Museum facing on to the the fountain area (under the eye of st Michael and the devil, ) quite a few young people were skateboarding or practicing.Iasked one young teenager if he had been before. He said not, but said he lived in Earlsdon and came because his parents thought it was safe and not tucked away in some park out of sight,

Shizara
14-09-2008, 10:05 AM
We complain of so many things about Coventry but we have so much here which is good and beautiful that we must always complain and protest when necessary to let 'them' know that 'we' are keeping our beady eyes upon them to conserve this heritage.

The council as well as the people have a huge moral responsibility to conserve this heritage, a heritage that belongs to each and every generation. Cathidaw, you rightly point out that we must always complain and protest when necessary when things are not right. When the guardians of this heritage are not taking the steps necessary to conserve these wonderful treasures they are doing a very grave disservice to those that created the heritage during the course of their lives, the generations that followed and that includes the generations of tomorrow.

I appreciate that with space to be themselves, to be able to skateboard and engage in other healthy activities not being plentiful in this country, especially in towns and cities, it is very difficult for the young ones. The parent that thinks about where it is safe for their child to be when away from home is one that needs commending. In public spaces where there is room for activities such as skateboarding and it is causing no harm to others then we need to be more tolerant. The types of activities I have difficulties with are when they climb on to the roof of properties, especially late at night and run up and down. - More of an issue for those of us with a flat roof. There is the potential danger for themselves, potential expense for the owner should it be damaged and surely it is trespassing. There are spaces around towns that are utilised by youngsters for playing with a ball. The activity in itself is great, but not so great for those living over a shop and the roller shutter is being used for a goal or target and there is a constant metal BANG! - RATTLE - BANG! - RATTLE as the ball finds its goal/target. There are other activities that come to mind - mostly taking place in the evenings. The thing that stands out clearly is the lack of facilities for them to safely engage in activities that are good for burning off energy and learning new skills such as new moves in skateboarding. Perhaps councils could well do with addressing the lack of space / facilities in that regard as well in a manner that does not cause conflict with residents and young people. What needs remembering is that these youngsters are also the ones that inherit the heritage of the past and it is imperative that care and responsibility be things learned whilst young so that when these things are left to them to enjoy they can do so with pride.

cathidaw
15-09-2008, 12:53 AM
yesterday after I had been to Coventry for the Heritage thing,
Iwent to Aldi in Bedworth It was just about to close and as I was the last in the car park, quite a few young teenagers were arriving with their skate boards and waited until I moved off.which I thought very polite. We have a perfect skate board area in the park, but once again I asked one boy why they didn't use it, he said "What -go in the park at night-no chance"
Isaid it was a good idea to use this carpark lit by the streetlights, and he said he would use it 'til the police told them to get off it.
Ionce suggested to Coventry council that the clock area outside the motor museum should be made a skateboard area occasionally-the shoppers could watch from the seats all around. They said it would not be practical.
Idont know why the kids are shut away , its asking for trouble and their parents know exactly where they are