PDA

View Full Version : Indian Restaurants in Stratford ?

NorthernBloke
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Folks, just me again.

I'm also into my Indian food and looking for an Indian restaurant and / or takeaway.

I've seen the place near the bottom of Sheep Street and it's a bit fancy for me - and so are the prices !!

So I'm after something traditional that serves the usual Rogan Josh, Madras, Vindaloo, Balti, Dansak, Dopiaza, Bhuna etc etc at reasonable prices i.e where 2 people can eat and get a pint each for under £30 between us.

I don't mind travelling within the confines of the town, but don't want to have to trek out as far as Warwick / Leamington etc just for a meal. And I enjoy a pint or two, so can't be on with driving after a drink.

Any suggestions please ? Takeaways as well ?

Thanks in advance folks
John

NorthernBloke
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Lex

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know where Avon Spice is - passed it often enough, but when you don't know the local reputations of places, one is sometimes a little hesitant . . . .

Come to think of it, I have a vague recollection of walking back down Chestnut Walk to the digs with a bagfull of Indian Takeaway, and I reckon it might have been from Avon . . .

Thanks again

Any more suggestions anybody else, please feel free to jump in !!

John

NorthernBloke
30-09-2008, 12:58 PM
We went into Husseins on the Saturday night on the rec of our landlord. Quite nice too, but the staff are obviously from a posher restaurant and overdoing it with the flourishes and the "yes sir/no sir three bags full sirs". Presumably the more sirs, the higher the prices !! :)

Nice meal, little bit of gristle on the lamb (cheap cut) but overall quite good.

We also did the takeaway next to the Sue Ryder charity shop another night but that was more than disappointing. Nothing like a Rogan Josh or Madras - and I've plenty of experience with both.

Sorry Lex - never got round to Avon Spice due to time with relatives etc. Wish I'd gone there for a takeaway rather than (was it?) Simla.

Back soon as possible.