PDA

View Full Version : Any rock music in Stratford ?

NorthernBloke
03-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi folks

Me and t'wife'll be coming down for a weeks holiday mid-September 08. We're frae Workington in West Cumbria (CA14) and we've been a few times before so we know the area quite well, but . . .

Are there any pubs down in Stratford-upon-Avon which regularly host live groups, preferably contemporary rock music (70s-00s) anything from Arctics to Zep, predominantly guitar orientated rock music ?

We've tended to visit the more popular eatery type pubs for food eg White Swan plus the usual eg Yates, Chicago Rock Cafe but it's 6 years since we've been and I don' think we ever got to see a group on yet.

So, if you can recommend a pub or two where they have a group on of an evening, please do.

Oh, and preferably free entry - I hate paying to find they're not my cuppa char (and I'm a Yorkshireman by origins - short arms, deep pockets, you know the sort :) )

Eh, thanks in advance
John

NorthernBloke
05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks again Lex

Been in Coxs during the day but it never at night. We tend to stick to the town centre, Wetherspoons/Yates, Pen, Dirty Duck (to catch a celeb ! Ha !) but I'll drag her down there at the first opportunity.

Thanks for the info.

Any more suggestions anybody else, please feel free to jump in !!

John

NorthernBloke
30-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Eeee..... What a quiet forum this is.

Anyway, been there, seen it, done it, come home.

Coxs Yard is about £4 entry; we didn't fancy the folk music and the Metallica/Slayer shouty stuff is a bit too deep for us so we didn't venture upstairs.

Couldn't find much else around town either so came home actually looking forward to seeing some of our homegrown local groups again.

I notice Yates has closed down. What a shame.

Chicago Rock is still going but not open by 9pm so didn't bother walking back up there.

Ended up at the Pen & Parchment or the Windmill most times.

West End has refurbished to hard chairs, so one visit was enough - lost our custom for the week. And no WiFi - Zut Alors !! - a wine bar with no WiFi.

See you again in another 6 years Stratford.

Thanks