PDA

View Full Version : Any witnesses?

simmel
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

I was coming home from my girlfriends around 10 last night and as I drove down a long straight stretch of the Warwick road (just before The Falcon pub near Hatton if any of you know it) where out of nowhere I was blinded by someones lights and at last second realised he/she/chav was coming straight at me for a head on, by the looks of things the car was overtaking atleast four others. I swerved at the last second to avoid the collision but he smashed straight into the side of me, pretty much writing off the offside of my car and then he drove off and so did the witness!!! :confused:

Luckily I'm ok but with no witness and him driving off thats my 2 years no claims down the drain! I just wondered by pure miracle if there is anyone in this forum that witnessed the incident or was one of the cars he overtook. I know it's a longshot but please if you can, help :)

Thank you.

Will
11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Simmel, sorry to hear about that. I assume you've reported this to the police? If it happened where I'm thinking, I'd say it's all but impossible for that driver to have avoided the CCTV cameras in the area. I don't think there's any where it happened, but they would have been caught approaching the scene or leaving it I'd have thought.

I'm sure you've already thought of all this, but unfortunately it's the best I can do. Oddly I was in the area at around that time last night, I must have just missed it happening.

Gladys
11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Poor you but glad you were not hurt. Whilst, I don't live up your end of England and don't know the area, 10'ish last night wasn't dark down here. I'm sure you've done and looked at the obvious. Have you informed the police? Not just the customary phone call to get the crime reference but more importantly, have you gone in to the local copshop and spoken with the duty chap? You just don't know but even the mere event may connect to another bit of criminal activity like a burglary. Did you get the car type and colour? It may also be worth a walk around some local car repair shops tomorrow to see if they have got one lurking in the back with scrapes on it matching your car colour.Look geographically at what is nearby,eg colleges.If it wasn't some maniac running from something, it maybe a youngster out joy riding. Anything and everything is worth looking at. You could ask the local radio station to put a plea for witnesses across the waves.:)

simmel
13-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the kind words both. A man who arrived a minute after it happened called the police and they were there within a few minutes to take details etc. They haven't been in touch since so I'm under the assumption that they didn't find the maniac. I know the police pulled something out of my headlight which lead them to believe the car was registered in 96 or something, I didn't quite catch what they said. It was however pretty much dark when it happened and because I had his headlights directed straight at me I couldn't see what the car was.

Unforunately being young I'm only covered 3rd party fire and theft so my insurance wouldn't pay for the damage anyway but that also means I don't lose my no claims :) I've also found a guy who is interested in my car to see if he can do it up as the engine works fine, it's only really body work that needs doing to it.

Once again I appreciate the kind words as these past few days have been very stressful, thanks :):)

Gladys
13-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Simmel,
At least there is a chance you'll be able to sell the car and get something from it. However, life is becoming increasingly more stressful and expensive. I still think you'll lose nothing by asking the local radio to put something out and I'd place an ad in your local free ads or newspapers and newsagents. You never know, it may be playing on some one's mind but they don't know what to do about it. Also, people may not have really realised exactly what they were seeing at the time. An ad or a verbal reminder across air might trigger a memory. Its worth a try. It is rubbish when it happens but some good will come out of it, even if it is that you weren't meant to carry on with that car!:)