PDA

View Full Version : Leamington turning into a Slum

Unregistered
30-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Why is it that some folks in Leamington Spa, put their rubbish out on the pavement after pick up day. This is happening every week in my area, rubbish is being put out after collection day, anyday in my area and left to pile up and stink all week and over the weekend.
Plus cars are being parked on pavements as well, I am sick and tired every time I go out shopping, having to negotiate my way round rubbish bags and parked vehicles.
Some areas are turning into slums.

Shizara
30-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Cars parked on pavements seem to be a fairly common theme in the UK and I can quite understand your concerns regarding having to negotiate your way around rubbish bags and parked vehicles. Rubbish especially, attracts rats, even in my own town I have walked past rubbish within feet of a supermarket door, where there is a bin and disturbed a rat having lunch.

When many UK homes were built there were no cars and so an allowance for parking was probably not even considered. Then, in later generations cars came into vogue and then became an extremely popular possession for families and singles alike. The difficulty is where to park them. When a property is purchased or rented in a street that clearly has no real provision for parking I wonder what the assumption is? "I'm alright, I'll park in my neighbour's space in front of his house - he doesn't have a car." Or "There is a block of flats next door that has a carpark, I have seen some empty spaces, I'll just park there." Or even "Hmm.. there really ought to be parking for my car. I will park here then." - "Here" being mostly or completely on the footpath.

cathidaw
30-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I can understand anyone living in a terrace with no parking space ,parking outside his/her own home. But parking outside someone else's house is not on.
Neither is parking on pavements.
In Stoke , just around the corner from Ball Hill there is a public car park -I believe it is £3.00 per day, but many of the shopworkers choose to park in the streets there -in front of peoples homes-all day long 6 days a week. So that home owners / renters cannot park anywhere-except in the car park, or if a space
becomes available- outside a a neighbour's house . Which does not do much for friendly relationships.
A parking permit scheme would work but even after many applications to the council it gets turned down.
It is high time the police did their job in these suburbs instead of concentrating on the city centre so much. They wouldn't lose out on their convictions targets either. They may even get a few bonuses from more untaxed vehicles.