PDA

View Full Version : Middle Quinton Eco Town

Will
14-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Was wondering about everyone's thoughts on this. I know a few people who live near the proposed site, and they are very much against it.

The main reason is because of the extra traffic that it will bring to an already overcrowded area, especially Stratford Town. It's fair to say that any drop in pollution as a result of this town, will be lost by the amount of cars sat in queues for hours on end.

Of course the planners have said that the rail link will be reopened, and the rail planners seem very excited about the idea. However is seems to be assuming a lot that people from this new village or the surrounding old ones will choose to use it; It's not like everything is within easy reach of Stratford Train station.

Apart from that, will these so-called eco-towns make any real difference?

Will
16-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Just changed the name of thread to middle quinton, my mistake. This is possibly one of the biggest debates to hit the area in a long time, it may attract some new users. :)

cathidaw
16-06-2008, 04:27 PM
These planner's are hoping to create Utopia in the eco towns, where people will be content to stay in an eco bubble .My view-and I may be wrong- is that it will work -at first.
Then the younger generation will move out for the 'excitement ' of normal towns. Just like the exodus from the villages which is still happening today. We will be left with elderly community all living isolated but eco lives.
Either that or it will go to pot after a a few years and end up a very exclusive, expensive commuter town.
How cynical, you may say but this is how the government has made us.
At least at present we are allowed to air our views.(read my post about 1984).)

cathidaw
18-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Yes but it was to be a 'new town' perhaps Utopia
but I dont remember whether the word 'eco' had been invented.

Talking about invented words- or at least words I'd never heard of
-may I tell you a true tale.
When I was about 14 I was told by a mistress at my new school that I was insubordinate .I didn't know what it meant but it sounded good to me.
When I got home I excitedly told my Mum.
She handed me a dictionary----and later gave me a good telling off..

Shizara
18-06-2008, 08:55 PM
:clapping:

cathidaw, you simply have a mind of your own and refuse to roll over and accept anything that you are told. You question it and if some of us didn't have the integrity to do that then the world would be a very sad place as we would be clones. Keep up the good work. :woohoo1:

Madhatter
24-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Who owns the land that this one is being built on?

Will
25-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I can't remember now, I'm pretty sure it's privately owned. So someone's in for a seriously nice windfall if it goes ahead.

chillitt
25-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Who owns the land that this one is being built on?

I think it's MOD land.
Nice set of 'sweeteners' being offered... A railway line to Stratford, a western link to the Stratford ring road, 4 schools, all manner of good things. Wonder how many would actually happen....:rolleyes:

Will
25-06-2008, 10:43 PM
OH I think they'll all happen, and when they don't get used, they will cease to happen and be put down to yet another expensive bunch of mistakes.

I can really see this town going ahead. If the residents of Stratford district can't stop a bridge being built and having all their trees cut down by county council, what hope have they got against Gordon Brown?

Madhatter
26-06-2008, 12:20 AM
I very much doubt they'll happen myself, it will come to them being built and the funding won't be available for it.
Penbury is to be built on co-op holdings land and looks like it too will succeed, it too is promised a railway station and a park and ride which I find very confusing. Who is parking there and where are they riding to as Penbruy is essentially a suberb of Leicester. Surely they don't expect people to park and ride into these new eco towns.
I assume that middle quinton is actually a suburb of Stratford? any chance of a location map?

Unregistered
30-06-2008, 05:09 PM
The Eco towns are to be 50% social housing..So basically after a few years it will end up a slum "Shameless" town..

Funny how none are in Labour constituencies isn't it!

Will
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

Sue MDH
11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
How much more traffic will this produce into Stratford? The council permit HGVs to travel over a listed bridge already (Clopton). This is an accident waiting to happen- it wont take much more traffic. Anyone using this route into Stratford will know its a bottleneck. Its about time through HGVs got rerouted through Barford.

Will
12-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Reading the papers it looks to me like this eco-town is going ahead regardless of what opponents think. Apparently the 'issue which need to be resolved' are the road networks and transport - the main angle opponents are using against it. Apparently the government is leaving this in the hands of the developers to resolve. seeing as how they are so keen to re-open the train route, I'm guessing they're just going to use this as thier argument that there won't be major traffic build ups.

The idea that the trains will solve everyone's problems seems highly optimistic to me. I just can't see that solving any problems, in fact I can't see eco-towns in general solving any problems.

My feelings on the environment are this, technology has caused these problems, and technology can solve them. If our governments poured the same amount of money into research for new and clean technologies, as they did into invading the middle-east, our environmental problems could well be a thing of the past.

Terry
14-07-2008, 02:33 PM
This will get done whether people in Stratford District like it or not, that's the way this country works these days, it's got nothing to do with you.

They will placate you with vague and meaningless statements to make it look like they care. But in the end it WILL be built.

Dexter
16-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Haven't the tories said they will scrap them if they are elected and form the next Government?

Will
16-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Really? Let's hope they call one in time, you'd have to be a bunch of ineffectual morons not to beat Labour at this time........oh bugger.

Dexter
18-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Doesn't make any difference who you vote for around here its one of the strongest Conservative seats in the country..

Why do you think all bar two of the "eco" town locations are in seats Labour haven't got a hope of ever winning..They are not that stupid in choosing the locations, you don't brass off your own supporters do you?

Will
30-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Just found an interesting video which doesn't seem to have been featured in the news, but it's a pretty solid bit of footage for showing just how busy that road already is. Imagine this with a few extra thousand people trying to get to work every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8OkirZydo

elimag800
30-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I think we are all pretty powerless these days with regards to whatever the Government , local or otherwise has planned , I still cannot understand why there are so many old buildings sitting around unoccupied yet we have so many homeless plus we have so many young couples who cannot afford a mortgage , Why don't the local councils waver the rent allow people to move in & repair & refurbish themselves , the councils could would be taking poll tax off them so this would replinish the pot .

steve newman
30-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Has anyone taken a good look at the old Royal Engineer's site recently? And does anyone remember when it was an operational army base? I don't believe the traffic could be any worse than it was then, which wasn't that bad. And if the new town helps get the rail link back...

I support the proposed new town.

Sarah
01-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I think we need to stop making it so easy for the rich to continually buy houses, so that the poor can't afford their own. There's enough houses out there already, but they're either owned by people who have five houses already, or they abandoned. I make £22,000 a year, and I would love a house more then anything, but I can't afford one, not even these so called "affordable houses". This new eco-town will just be bought up by yet more greedy land-lords, and it won't solve any problems, and the idea that everyone will start miraculously using a train is unbelievably optimistic. Most people don't look for jobs or put their kids in schools because they have a train station near by.

Will
29-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought I'd add a link to the Bard Campaign. They are leading the fight against the eco-town, and maybe all eco-towns I think. Anyway, their site is worth a look at.

The BARD Campaign - Stop the eco town on the Long Marston site - The BARD Campaign (http://www.bardcampaign.com/)

Will
30-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh another update today. Apparently Middle Quinton is down to the last few sites being considered. I have to say, I'd be totally amazed if this didn't go ahead now, it seemed from the beginning that the attitude was that this is going ahead whether residents like it or not.

Shizara
17-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, that certainly doesn't come as a surprise.

Is there a list of proposed eco-towns that will be built handy to councillors or even MPs? More concerning is who will be able to buy these homes?