PDA

View Full Version : Nuneaton and Bedworth the 3rd poorest in the country

cathidaw
12-06-2008, 11:55 PM
:help: Did any one see this article saying that Bedworth and Nuneaton are amongst the top 3 poorest places in the country.
I wonder where they do these surveys and what it is based on.
Perhaps someone on WOL can enlighten me.
I cannot see much evidence of poverty here in Bedworth.-no-one is obviously without shoes or food and somewhere to live. There are very few homeless compared with other towns , and I haven't seen any beggers.
The Salvation Army is hoping to do a night soup kitchen run sometime this year which I have volunteered to help with, but have been told that mainly it will be in Nuneaton.

Shizara
22-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I didn't see the article, but surveys are often geared up to get the answers they want to portray with selective questions and options.

There would seem to me to be different levels of poverty. Sometimes an adjustment of priorities which means that as harsh as it sounds, if you are on the breadline then luxuries such as smoking, drinking and gambling are not an option. It may also require some self questioning about the affordability of other things that we may have.

Having come from a country that has income levels to the same extremes as you have here and yet, not being accustomed to seeing begging nor homeless people I wonder if people have lost the ability to do more for themselves - honestly.

As a child I remember my Dad telling me of life in England when he was a boy and of life in his new country. Either way, the family - large as was often the way in those days - were not exactly "well off" as some would percieve "well off". They had a roof over their heads and a garden. My father would be sent to the shop to buy a shilling's worth of "specks" which I believe to be fruit that is well past its best and needing pieces cut out. The welfare system was not as kind and generous as it is today though I realize that there will be some that will tell me that they don't get enough, but that's another issue.

As children, if my sister and I whinged about not having something we were tsked and reminded... "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet."

I fully appreciate that there are people around us that have neither a roof over their heads nor money in their pockets except for what might have been gained by begging.

The reasons for homelessness are many I should imagine, from children who refuse to live by the boundaries imposed by parents to those with addictions of one type or another. The Salvation Army do a wonderful job of trying to help those less able to help themselves, but, like cathidaw I struggle to see much evidence of real poverty in Nuneaton, which, doesn't mean there isn't any, it just isn't evident.

cathidaw
28-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Now it is announced that Bedworth people are the fattest in the country. People are protesting but Iam sure it is true. Inotice it even more when Ihave been away and am sorry to say that if, when away, we -my family- see an overwweight person think jokingly -'I bet they are from Bedworth'
Now it is official.
Idont believe it is because these people are poor and so have lots of cheap food, that they are so fat---let's not call it obese---It is because they have money but spend it on unsuitable food --.
One only has to go to our small town and see the cake shops and snack shops, and cafes --and the large amount of large people walking along eating burgers and such like. It has been like this for years and Ido not see that it will change. The people like their food and no warnings will keep them away from it.
I dont know what the answer is.

Boring Bloke
23-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I have three relatives that live in bedworth, all are fat, two of which are fat because they eat cakes and junk food. They don't just go to Tesco and buy one cake, they buy a double pack or even a four pack each. Then theres the other who's just fat cos she is.
You've seen that smokers add where the children do as mum does, well that applies here too.
The children are now pushin max density, two spaces on the bus seat jobies.
Nuneaton and Bedworth are the Poorest, Atherstone can't be far behind, Nuneaton and bedworth are the fattest, Atherstone has the ugliest! Nowhere in else in this country can I walk down the main street on a busy shopping day and not think phwoar she gorgeous, I'd give her the benefit of my experience. In the nicest possible way of course. This rarely happens in Atherstone and when it does it's usually someone with a brummy accent. Atherstone needs tallent, I've tried to get Tamworth to send some over but they escape back again they feel they're being stared at by the men in a way that a ex con that's just done 20yrs stares at the first woman he sees. Who can blame them, the sight of a fine beautiful, slim good looking girl that looks after her appearance, mmm, better than cake.

Will
23-07-2008, 02:34 PM
THread moved to Nuneaton and Bedworth section. ;)

Unregistered
23-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Ihave heard it said that all of the Atherstone pretty girls married the Yanks after the war and went over there.

Shizara
27-07-2008, 11:35 PM
They are indeed crass and certainly have no place here.