PDA

View Full Version : Warwicks own 'Time Team'?

Unregistered
09-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Have just seen in the local paper that as part of the development of the new bus station in Warwick there are plans for an archaeological dig. What a wonderful opportunity this is for the town which relies so heavily on its history. One can only wonder what treasures lay beneath that car park and what evidence of the towns past is waiting to be uncovered.

Whoever arranged for this to happen should be congratulated, these sort of opportunities don't happen often. I look forward with interest to the findings and wish them every success with the dig.

cathidaw
10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Iwonder who is doing this dig and if it has been put out to tender as is the law.
Or is Warwick council using their own team instead
therefore raking in all of the money.
I'd be interested to know.

Unregistered
11-06-2008, 09:04 AM
If truth be known I know very little about it besides the front page article in the Courier hopefully we will find out more as it goes on. Heres the link to the report if you are interested (Bus station delay infuriates traders - Warwick Today - Back to Home Page (http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news/Bus-station-delay-infuriates-traders.4155849.jp))

As I understand it they are putting a new bus station in place of the car park so that the buses no longer have to go through the town and can turn round and go straight back out. When they've dug out the car park they will be having the dig which is scheduled for a few weeks unless they find anything significant in which case they will be allowed to extend the time as is seen fit. The site is in line with where the old town walls ran many centuries ago so there is the possibility of some interesting finds...who knows the remains of the wall could be there or it could be where the latrines were situated! Will certainly be interesting to find out what happens.

As a side note they did a similar dig on an adjacent plot where Boots now stands back in the sixties. This dig should provide further insight to the information previously gathered, will be fascinating to see what they find.

Promise I'll keep you posted if I hear anything, not too sure about joining up yet Lex...one more password to remember and my head will explode. :-D

Shizara
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Bus station delay infuriates traders - Warwick Today - Back to Home Page (http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news/Bus-station-delay-infuriates-traders.4155849.jp)

cathidaw, that's a really good point. I skimmed through the above article and at the very end it waffles on about putting the dig out to tender, but wonder who wins or has won it.

Unregistered
11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
As far as I'm aware the up for tender bit is to do with the construction job of the bus station rather than the dig. I may be wrong as the article is mainly aimed at the Chamber of Trade side of things but that was how I interpreted it. Construction jobs usually go out to tender to see who comes up with the best deal so I would assume that is what they mean.

I think the council has its own archaeological department in much the same way as the planners, highways and so forth. They co-ordinate any archaeological research that goes on within the town. Any significant finds (ie hidden chests of pirate gold) have to be declared as a national treasure and are studied by the experts at a national level. The smaller finds (medieval cereal box prizes, broken pottery and so forth) are donated to the local museums which are open to locals and tourists free of charge. Not sure there is any profits up for grabs.

I was chatting to one of my relatives about the previous dig and they said they were involved along with a number of other volunteers and each had a section designated to them to dig. Sounds as though it was a painstaking process to remove some of the delicate finds intact, but the mojority of what she found were clay pipes.

As I say, be interesting to see what comes up. Any news I'll let you all know. :-D

Toad
24-06-2008, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Unregistered;8379]As far as I'm aware the up for tender bit is to do with the construction job of the bus station rather than the dig. I may be wrong as the article is mainly aimed at the Chamber of Trade side of things but that was how I interpreted it.

You are right, the bus station has been tendered for and WCC has it's own archaeological department which is doing the survey.
The Chamber of Trade angle is simple. WCC promised that the bus station, which has the Chamber's unfailing support, would be completed by 1st November so that the all-important Christmas trade was not too badly affected. WCC promised that if it couldn't meet that deadline they would delay the work until January 2009. They have, true to form, reneged on both promises and now say the project will not be complete until mid-December. A number of businesses will go bust because of their stupidity and incompetence but they, of course, have nice, cosy, secure, pensionable jobs, so why would they care. Do I sound concerned? Yup, I am one of the many businesses threatened with going bust.

cathidaw
24-06-2008, 11:38 PM
regardless of whether the county has it's own archaeological department Iam almost sure the have to put it out to tender.
'Almost sure' is not good enough but I will have to find out. Even if it does not change things.

Unregistered
27-06-2008, 02:39 PM
OK, time for an update folks, I had a wander past the site earlier in the week and at the present stage workers are clearing away the former car park although interestingly they have unearthed a cellar already. By the look of the brick work I would say victorian era most likely so not a huge find but it does make you think what might well be under our feet. I've walked on top of that cellar on many occaisions without knowing it is there.

The work has already got an interested crowd of locals checking in on the place and this can only grow as time goes on. Looking at the information at the site the original town wall ran across the lower section of the car park. There is also information about some of the finds from the previous dig further up where Boots now stands. I was only passing through but next time I'm up there I will try and make a few notes on what it says so I can pass it on to those of you who aren't local enough to visit yourself.

I would rather this thread remain on topic if possible, I appreciate the businesses concerns but don't really feel this is the place to throw insults at the council. The Chamber of Trade are quite entitled to their views, and share them freely in the media but I'm personally more interested in the historic value of the town and would rather this thread remain on that subject please.

Cathidaw, would definately be interested to find out what your research shows, maybe a free lance Indiana Jones type could find the hidden treasure of Warwicks ancient tribes! If I see a giant rock rolling down Market Street I'll be first to follow the guy with the brimmed hat as quickly as possible.

Once again I'll keep you all posted as and when I find anything.

cathidaw
27-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Funny guy eh!
However, my son has an archaeologist friend -ex colleague - who works for this council so I will sound them out as this goes on. Should be very exciting.
The fact that you have seen Victorian cellars is a good sign as it was quite usual to build on old sites.
The same happened in Coventry -White Friars Lane- but no more excavations deeper than the Victorian cellars were allowed as time was running out-money was talking-and the contractors moved in quickly as a car park was suddenly desperately needed when someone complained.
So let us know when you see the ball rolling.

Unregistered
28-06-2008, 09:19 AM
You have to laugh a bit else life would be very dull. Ok so maybe a giant ball rolling through the streets of Warwick is a bit far fetched...would be a sight though (Indiana not the ball! ;-)).

Not too sure about the dig you refer to...to be honest I'm not sure I'd fancy digging Coventry in case I found any artifacts that could still go boom! I know they had the real 'Time Team' involved in a dig where the old priory once stood. The finds there were considered so important plans to re-use the site were scrapped and a tourist visitor centre was built instead. Same with the Viking Centre in York. Who knows, if they find something impressive enough we could have a new tourist attraction in Warwick. As the town relies on its historic background to attract visitors and the bulk of the shops are geared to the tourist market it would be great if something significant could be found...might even boost trade!

Unregistered
30-06-2008, 07:55 AM
What on earth is this archeological dig hoping to find ?
The reference to Victorian cellars doesn't excite me at all.

Unregistered
30-06-2008, 05:03 PM
"I appreciate the businesses concerns but don't really feel this is the place to throw insults at the council."

Everywhere and everytime is as far as i'm concerned a good place to throw insults at the council because believe me ...they deserve it!

Toad
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
"I appreciate the businesses concerns but don't really feel this is the place to throw insults at the council."

Everywhere and everytime is as far as i'm concerned a good place to throw insults at the council because believe me ...they deserve it!

So you have had to work with them too!!

Unregistered
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Could we PLEASE stay on topic! A thread about Warwicks history is not the place for personal digs at the present council, it detracts from the actual subject being discussed! This is your cue moderators any chance we could have a bit of a clean up? :-)

As for the remains of a Victorian celler, I can't say I'm jumping up and down with excitement at the moment but the area was the site of one of the towns outer walls, from the time when Warwick was a walled town with three gate houses and the castle. I suspect they might find something more interesting there given time. I am at least willing to be positive rather than dismissing it at first glance, they must suspect things of significance to be present for it to be worth all the work involved.

Gladys
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry to butt in, but it may help if any one is interested sufficiently if they asked what is going on in Chichester, West Sussex. They dug up an historic site there some 15 or maybe more years ago and then covered it all up with a carpark. Recently they decided to take another look and have discovered more so are investing in uncovering it and making a tourist /visitor centre out of it. It all adds to the charm of an old historic City same as yours except Warwick is a town isn't it? It doesn't have a Cathedral so in 'old money' its a town. I may be wrong and am happy to be updated 'cause with 'new money' rules and regs it has probabley been given City status.:)

Unregistered
10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
LOL :O) I believe the town is actually attempting to get city status at the moment. Not sure what the outcome will be. Any information about the dig you refer to I'm sure would be of interest to those following our own. What did they find there?

I do agree with you though, making a visitor centre would be very good if significant finds were to occur. Our town relies very heavily on its traditions and history to attract tourists. The town centre businesses have drifted in recent years to appeal soley to the tourist trade which means anything that brings tourists in can only be a good thing. You never know, they'll probably build the bus station then decide in a few years to pull it down again to carry on the dig!!!

As for our own dig they had reached the medieval layer in places the last time I went past. I must admit, I don't envy them working in all this rain, that must be making the work heavy going.

Gladys
10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I have looked at Chichester's Archeology stuff on the Council's website. There are many medieval finds but the Carpark is hiding a Roman Bathhouse. They are saying that Chichester was the only walled Roman settlement in Sussex and is going to boast one of the largest hoards of archeology finds in the country. The new museum will be finished approx 2010. Visitors can see the progress of the various digs now. The carpark will be partly opened eventually but this Bathouse area will be part of the visitor attraction. I hope Warwick yields much. It ought to with its history. You all ought to highlight to your Council that Chi unearthed this Roman find in the 1970s, thought it better to cover it up and now have rethought and rediscovered it is a potential goldmine.:) There is already the Roman Palace at Fishbourne which is literally 1-2 miles outside of Chi on the way to Portsmouth. Does anyone know it?

Unregistered
11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
All sounds very interesting Gladys, thanks for that.

The site in Warwick is where the original town wall ran and the medieval layer is completely undisturbed, despite claims by some the area has already been dug. It has the potential of finding many interesting artifacts, as you say our town does have its history, there have certainly been Saxon finds in the town before.

Unfortunately there are those who couldn't care less about the towns history who are putting pressure on for the work to be completed more quickly which is a great shame. As in the case you mention I suspect it could all be put on hold again. I'm sure there won't be a Roman bath house under there, but there have been a number of structures on the site in the past.

As always I'll keep everyone posted.

thedelboy
11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi just reading through this thread and am really interested,I used to live in Montague rd as a child,and I remember at the back of the market place (I think it was the Globe pub hotel on the corner at the top of the hill) any way the council in their altimate wisdom blocked up the old cells from the original prison but not before my school chum and myself were able to get in and look around it,also Priory park in the "dip" there used to be a tunnel that ran to Warwick castle and to the site where the police station now stands !! Warwick in the mid seventies lost a Great oppertunity to show these historical sites

Gladys
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi just reading through this thread and am really interested,I used to live in Montague rd as a child,and I remember at the back of the market place (I think it was the Globe pub hotel on the corner at the top of the hill) any way the council in their altimate wisdom blocked up the old cells from the original prison but not before my school chum and myself were able to get in and look around it,also Priory park in the "dip" there used to be a tunnel that ran to Warwick castle and to the site where the police station now stands !! Warwick in the mid seventies lost a Great oppertunity to show these historical sites

How fascinating is that- you were so lucky to have had the opportunity to look at the old prison. That would be where they would have housed poor wrteched people before they were taken to the gallows. Gruesome but true. From what you say, it must all still be there. It would be a fantastic tourist attraction. Can you imagine what the american visitors would think- 'awesome' or something like that. (No offense meant to any American members etc) Anyway, as one who went to school in Wells,Somerset, I'm drawn to historical stuff especially medieval stuff. You should try to urge like minded souls to press the Council to leave all alone if they can't be constructive about it. Then wait until times change and The Council houses People who appreciate these things.This seems to be what has happened in Chi. They covered the stuff up and waited until now.:) ps, Also just remembered that one of my long dead Uncles, lived in Arundel with one of his wives. (one at a time) They had a tunnel that went from thier cellar to the Castle. There must be lots like it around the country.

Unregistered
19-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Fantastic news, the dig has uncovered 5000 year old artefacts.

Information can be found at this link:

Warwick bus station works uncover archaeology : Warwickshire News - Warwickshire Web (http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/newsstor.nsf/PublicByCategories/5210199F2E069D2B80257488003389AA)

Basically they have unearthed some 'worked flints' and decorated pottery from Neolithic pits, as well as a street dating from the 1600's and a number of other items through out the towns history.

It is such a shame to read in the same information that work on the bus station due to take its place will be finishing ahead of schedule. I can only assume this is due to pressure from certain groups in the town who have already claimed the dig was a waste of time! On a personal note I would like to see them acknowledge their mistake in light of the finds as publically as they objected to it taking place, but I doubt this will happen.

I find it interesting that the local newspaper has a story this week claiming tourism in the town is down 18% and the reason most are voting for in the papers online poll is that the town is 'too boring'! Perhaps this is the answer to that problem? A visitor centre with information about the town, artefacts found on site and key areas of the dig preserved under cover? Interactive mulitmedia could be used to really bring the towns history to life?

Over to you folks, what are your thoughts on this?

cathidaw
19-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I like the sound of 'Warwick Town'- 'Old Town of Warwick'--'Warwick Old Town' these sound much more romantic. 'City'of Warwick does not lend itself to the place. It's not very big either, Idon't suppose the people who have businesses in the centre or who live there will agree about the 'romance ' bit, but that is how I have always seen it in spite of the Council's attempts to change and modernise it. I love the way one can park in the main street for a time too. I often think that unrestricted parking would be a good idea at weekends in this type of town. I'm sure the tourists would come in droves and boost the trade.-especially if it was advertised as such . Too many restrictions= ruination of trade and tourism.
Iforgot to mention:
I live in the clouds.

Von Roden
29-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Warwick itself does not promote the attractions enough!! myself I love going home to Warwick (old friens and family the Castle run by Madame tuesauds) there is so much to see in Warwick it is unbelievable How many People who live in Warwick even know about the "Saxon mill"? the "Haunted Abbey"? Hangmans Hill ? (actually hangmans hill is Leek wooton) the Caves by the Saxon Mill? lovely places as kids we would visit (Ok not officially as it was then private land) I would hate to see Warwick end up like Stratford up on Avon(It has lost all its character Looks more like a building site than anything else) I was in Chichester last week then Arundell (the black Rabbit Pub) really is a beautiful little place got slightly inebriated so had to catch the train home!!Lol my wife was not a happy woman (I did pay the train fare:confused:0

Shizara
23-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Where is the best place to park in Warwick to be able to wander and enjoy the town?