PDA

View Full Version : Bustitution - your weekend rail service

Shizara
11-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Whilst I fully realize that replacement buses are better than no service at all, the extremes swing from the underutilized to one whereby every seat is full and people are having to wait for another coach. I have no idea how the numbers stack up but you have a service that is generally 2 trains per hour, many full and standing with the service taking approximately .35 minutes. The replacement service is one bus per hour taking up to 1:10 hours, however, if the driver loses his way it takes longer.

Yesterday, needing to get back from Birmingham I thought I would avoid the pain of standing in "Smelly Alley", in the queue, in front of New Street Station whilst the smokers puffed and puffed waiting for the coach. Someone wanders around those in the queue and shows them a piece of paper. On the note is a request for money by someone claiming to be deaf and dumb. Have been approached by this same person on previous occasions when standing in the queue. I had thought that going, by train to Coventry, then a quieter service from there would be less painful, but, I think Mr Sod was about and the train to Coventry was late enough to ensure you missed the coach outside the station. So, "Smelly Alley" it had to be. As is often the case at some times of the day, every seat was full.

The journey began....

A parcel comes flying off the overhead luggage rack and hits the driver. It could have potentially been the cause of an accident had it distracted him enough.

Many drivers have satellite navigation and you see them using it which suggests the route isn't familiar to them. There was no satellite navigation and the driver was not familiar with the route. We finished up taking the M6, not towards London/Coventry but back to Birmingham. Twice we began taking an exit, it was pointed out that the exits were wrong and there was a very rapid - and not necessarily safe - correction to stay on the M6.

Finally we arrive at Nuneaton and I believe the coach "broke".

Another early morning service that was supposed to stop at Coleshill didn't stop. Whilst it was nice to arrive early I would hate to have been standing there waiting and the coach not turn up.

This is not a reflection on the drivers of the coaches or indeed, any of the staff. Some of us use the trains for commuting as well as long distance and for all the criticism that is levelled at the service I can only say... "Long live the trains!" followed by the quiet resignation to the fact that this will be an ongoing saga for a while to come including, I believe, 16 days in August unless we wish to add to road congestion by taking more cars on the road.

dj support
18-05-2008, 12:30 AM
I dont really know why we have a train station when the only thing that leaves from it are buses!