PDA

View Full Version : Eco Town..

Shizara
04-04-2008, 11:45 PM
How do the Stratford people feel about an Eco town on their doorstep? Do they feel it will be beneficial to the area or will it bring it down even further??

Dexter
05-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Well it will happen thats for sure..Apparently out of the 15 originals 12 were in strong Tory seats, two in Lib Dem and one in Labour..The idea is that you don't upset your own voters and stick them where it will not cost you votes!

For me it will probably mean the final straw of living in this part of the country. Mark my word it will transform the look and feel of this area totally.. If you fancy the idea of a new Redditch on your door step then thats fine..I personally don't!

Madhatter
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Are the houses needed? Some areas of the country St Austell deven are desperate for housing for family to move in to but can't because commuters buy them up and increase their value far above what a first time buyer could afford.
Other peoples views on one of the other towns, Pennbury near Leicester can be read at harborough online, other towns are

57 initial proposals were received from local authorities and developers across the country. The 15 shortlisted locations are:

* Pennbury, Leicestershire: 12-15,000 homes on a development incorporating brownfield, greenfield and surplus public sector land. Four miles south east of Leicester. This proposal could include 4,000 new affordable houses in an area of high affordability pressure.
* Manby and Strubby, Lincolnshire: 5,000 homes put forward by East Lindsey District Council on two sites, with large elements of brownfield land including a former RAF base. The proposal complements the strategic plan for the phased relocation of communities on Lincolnshire coast because of high flood risk, and could include 1,500 affordable homes in an area of very high affordability pressure.
* Curborough, Staffordshire: 5,000 homes on the brownfield site of the former Fradley airfield, ten miles from Burton. The proposal could include 2,000 affordable houses in an area of very high affordability pressure.

* Middle Quinton, Warwickshire: 6,000 homes on a former Royal Engineers depot which has a rail link to the Worcester-London rail line. Six miles South West of Stratford upon Avon. The proposal could include 2,000 affordable houses in an area of very high affordability pressure.

* Bordon-Whitehill, Hampshire: 5-8,000 homes on a site owned by the Ministry of Defence. A significant number of ex-MoD homes are already on the site, west of Whitehill-Bordon. The proposal could include 2,000 affordable houses in an area of very high affordability pressure.
* Weston Otmoor, Oxfordshire: 10-15,000 homes on a site adjoining the M40 and the Oxford-Bicester railway. Three miles south west of Bicester, the site includes a current airstrip. The scheme could include between 3,000 and 5,000 affordable homes, in an area of extreme affordability pressure.
* Ford, West Sussex: 5,000 homes on a site which includes brownfield land and the former Ford airfield. Close to rail line linking London and the Sussex coast. The scheme could include 1,500 affordable homes, in an area of very high affordability pressure.
* Imerys China Clay Community, Cornwall: Development of around 5,000 homes on former china clay workings, industrial land and disused mining pits no longer needed by owner Imerys. Close to St Austell. The scheme could include 1,500 affordable homes, in an area of extreme affordability pressure.
* Rossington, South Yorkshire: Up to 15,000 homes regenerating the former colliery village of Rossington, three miles south of Doncaster. The scheme could include 1,500 affordable homes, in an area of moderate affordability pressure.
* Coltishall, Norfolk: 5,000 homes on a former RAF airfield, eight miles north of Norwich. The scheme could include 2,000 affordable homes in an area of very high affordability pressure.
* Hanley Grange, Cambridgeshire: 8,000 homes on land adjacent to the A11 designed to improve the severe lack of housing in and around Cambridge. The scheme could include 3,000 affordable homes in an area of extreme affordability pressure.
* Marston Vale and New Marston, Bedfordshire: Up to 15,400 homes on a series of sites, including former industrial sites, along the east-west rail line to Stewartby and Millbrook. The scheme could include 2,000 affordable homes in an area of high affordability pressure.
* Elsenham, Essex: A minimum of 5,000 homes north east of the existing Elsenham village. Close to M11 and the London to Cambridge rail line. The scheme could include 1,800 affordable homes in an area of extreme affordability pressure.
* Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire: An eco-town proposal was submitted for Kingston-on-Soar, to the south of Nottingham. In response to representations from Rushcliffe Borough Council, this site is not to be pursued. However, the Government is proposing to carry out a further review in partnership with RBC to consider whether there is a suitable alternative location with the potential to be viable within the Rushcliffe local authority area.
* Leeds City Region, Yorkshire: A number of eco-town proposals were submitted for locations within the area of Leeds City Region partnership of 11 authorities and principally between Leeds and Selby. The Leeds City Region Partnership has indicated support in principle for an eco-town within the sub-region. The Partnership has proposed a further study to compare the best alternative locations across the Leeds City Region partnership area. The Government has agreed to support this approach, on the basis that it will allow a further announcement to be made shortly of one or more sites for consultation

Contact details for the developers of these sites and information on the locations that are not going forward are available on Eco-towns: Living a greener future - consultation paper - Housing - Communities and Local Government (http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/housing/ecotownsgreenerfuture).

very high affordability pressure Means to me that you have a problem with people moving to the area and pushing house prices above the threshold which first time buyers can afford. People should think very carefully before they block these ones on the usual and common sense grounds. If they really are needed what is the alternative to get affordable housing, which to me includes first time buyers as well as renters, for the area.

Dexter
11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't know much about any recent building in Atherstone but the people of Stratford have already played a huge price for the housing policies of the last ten years ..The place has had an explosion of new developments littered everywhere accompanied with yet more cars on infrastructure creaking at the seams to support.. The place is in the last gasps of being called "rural"

We have the "Trinity Mead" experiment where I understand this has imported a lot of social problems into the area and where some houses are virtually unsaleable. The people living here who have paid income tax and rates for many years didn't want these estates to be built in the first place as they had chosen to live in a semi rural pleasant environment.

Generally when the will of the public is observed, is what we term a democracy...It is a joke to suggest we live in this situation now where local peoples wishes are ignored

Historically over the last 40 years Government intervention in housing policy has been a disaster as will be the "Middle Quinton" experiment...

Fortunately i'm planning to be out of here soon and leave you to your "eco New Liarbor towns"

David1976
29-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I just want them to preserve the history of Stratford. That is what everyone should be concentrating on.

Regards

David
See my online shopping centre
Dave's Place - Part of the ei42 Shopping Network (http://www.ei42.com/davesplace)
Get Your Own FREE Here
Ei42.com - Everything on the Internet and 42, the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (http://www.ei42.com/?10849647)

Shizara
13-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Whilst the idea is greeted with enthusiasm by the proposers it may not be so when it comes to the wishes of the local people.

You have those that think "Great idea, blah-blah, waffle-waffle, but not in my town thanks." Then you have those that have observed similar projects elsewhere and the resulting longer term "success" of such ventures and have very strong reservations about the idea for all the reasons mentioned above and then there are those that welcome the idea wholeheartedly on the "live today don't worry about tomorrow basis."

I wonder if, in view of the current economic climate, if such a project will go ahead in the the short term.

Will
30-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Does anyone else think that the decision has already been made, and all these court rullings and so forth are just there to 'placate the masses'?