PDA

View Full Version : Is Stratford District Council the worst in the Country?

Unregistered
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I really find it amazing that anyone in Stratford District Council still comes out with all these spoutings about what a fantastic job they are doing. No doubt when their annual "Love in & self gratfication" publication lands on our door step it will be telling us again what a fabulous council they are.

People around here haven't got a good word to say about them and you only have to look in the letters pages of the local papers to see people vent their feelings ..

My question is if we are so fed up what can we do about it?

nutty_girl_2001
10-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking it might be something to do with the south of the county being harder to provide for, due to its geographical, social and economic demographic being so demanding.

Denny Crane
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
The only letters that are in the paper are in the Stratford town rag and they seem to only post whining whingeing letters anyway.

The other papers covering the rest of the District don't have the complaints "unregistered" complains of. In fcat the letters of whining in other papers are from Warwick District and Rugby Council residents!

Lowest council tax in the County, I find their waste collection the best and talking to people living in other areas, the service is better than any of theirs for recycling.

The only complaint I hear and agree with is that they are very Stratford Town centric, when most of the district residents live outside the town.

Will
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I suppose it depends if you like fairgrounds, plastic trees, irrelevant junk art, and rabbit warren style housing estates plonked in your little rural town. Call me Mr. Mealy mouthed, but it's just not to my taste, or many other peoples it would seem.

Madhatter
10-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Arrogant, ungrateful southerners, you should try living in the north of the county.

cathidaw
15-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Coventry still hasn't got it right, 60 odd years after the war, having yet another 'regeneration' plan.
We have gone through the junk art and airy fairy ideas period three or four times since then.
I must admit grudgingly that they have got a few things right -which includes the new Belgrade plaza complex- but some how no-one appears to know what to do with the very few old buildings left.
The lovely old Grammar school for instance which many towns would drool over is a disgrace, the Charterhouse is a wreck and another eyesore.
The one thing 'they' are good at is allowing buildings to get into such delapidation that it is either not viable to keep them-or spend an awful lot of 'our' money restoring. And then turn them into another night club/bar.
Another rant is the City Farm which is now closing. Right in the middle of one of the most deprived area in Coventry , and surrounded by 'high rises' it was
an oasis of calm and green with sheep and cows , pigs ducks-you name a farm animal and it was there.
But it was privately owned so it had to go.( Possibly to make room for more high rises)
So then, Stratford Council must be reading from and using the same blueprint, but at the very least you have a few restored buildings.

David1976
29-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Good point. I hate all this change. They chopped all those trees down. They keep on digging up the roads and all that change with the theatre - is all that really necessary? I doubt it. I love living in Stratford. I wouldn't change it for anything, but all this change is a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. They can argue that they have to give people work because otherwise there'd be higher unemployment and a lot of redundancies.

David
See my online shopping centre
Dave's Place - Part of the ei42 Shopping Network (http://www.ei42.com/davesplace)
Get Your Own FREE Here
Ei42.com - Everything on the Internet and 42, the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (http://www.ei42.com/?10849647)

Marina
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
As a business proprietor located directly opposite the Bancroft I've watched the painfully slow progress being made. World Class Stratford is costing me a huge financial loss from the lack of visitors to that area of town plus the added inconvenience due to the clouds of dust covering the windows and sills of my business on a daily basis. The Bancroft was due to be started last October but was delayed by months due to the Stratford Voice opposing the felling of the Trees. This delay now means that throughout peak season this area will be a building site and our businesses that totally rely on this time of year to get us through the non profit making winter time will be hit very hard indeed and yet we still have to pay our extortionate rent to greedy landlords and also the high rates to a council who do not see it justifiable to compensate us in any way. I would like to complain to the council but at the same time am afraid to voice my opinion in case I ruffle any of the wrong feathers which could result in people in powerful positions causing me grief. I do think the Bancroft will look very nice once its finished, Im concerned however that it may resemble some chic cosmopolitan city garden space which is all very well and good in a cosmopolitan city but in a countryside town like Stratford it may not be in keeping with its location. I will hold judgement until it's completed. The timescale for the project however I've heard has been extended for another three weeks which now takes us into September for completion which means I lose the entire Summer trade. If my business doesnt survive this period then I don't care how beautiful those gardens are.

Unregistered
07-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't suspect having a fish & chip shop opposite the "New" bancroft gardens will fit in with the plans of those who clearly think they know whats best for us (residents) and for Stratford Upon Avon..

The master plan of course means everyone that comes here when its finished is a 100% Shakespeare afficiando that will flock to the theatre and before visit all the chic restaurants in the locality..

The previous ordinary people that used to visit and sit on the Bancroft won't be welcome i'm sure!!!

Marina
07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with you but regardless of what 'they' feel we need, many theatre goers opt for the Great British Tradition instead of a chic restaurant. I guess it's more convenient for those last minute bookings and people in a hurry and those eating alone. It surprised me too when I took on the place just over a year ago! Enjoying fish and chips in the sunshine on the Bancroft has become somewhat of a tradition and if the opportunity presents itself indeed it would be great to refurbish the premises to a much higher standard and not feel like an eyesore as I do, I agree it needs it and I would love to do it. Its a frustrating situation.

JohnnyG
08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Will. I think you may find that the plastic trees was an April Fools from those witty people from the Hearld!!!

chillitt
08-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Will. I think you may find that the plastic trees was an April Fools from those witty people from the Hearld!!!

Indeed, we get one day per year to come up with stupid ideas, they get 364...:rolleyes:

Sue MDH
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I have joined Stratford Voice residents association. They get to the bottom of things. If u care about what is happening would recommend u join and get a true democratic vote. My subscription was £5 - money well spent.

EDIT: Link Deleted. Sorry, I do not want this site to be associated with SV in any way. - Will

Gladys
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I live in Hampshire. I think from what I know about yours in Stratford; it must be a twin or a clone of Havant Borough Council in Hampshire. They are wealthy, do what they want and have plenty to say but don't seem to do alot about what our areas need- no more housing!!!We're sinking in mud and floods.:(

Will
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I live in Hampshire. I think from what I know about yours in Stratford; it must be a twin or a clone of Havant Borough Council in Hampshire. They are wealthy, do what they want and have plenty to say but don't seem to do alot about what our areas need- no more housing!!!We're sinking in mud and floods.:(

It wouldn't be so bad if they at least made pleasant looking estates, with some gardens and parks. But no, we see three story flats with hardly any room, no gardens, no parks, no trees, just concrete. EVen worse is I can't remember the last time I saw a new housing estate and though 'wow they've actually tried a different design'. All modern houses that are build seem to be clones of other houses. I'm gussing it's because most of these houses are pre-fabricated, and they're quick, easy, and above all cheap to build. And they look it in my opinion.