PDA

View Full Version : Bride And Groom Kids.

cathidaw
13-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't know how anyone else feels about children at school-usually infants/juniors ,renacting the wedding ceremony .
I saw yet another one in the paper this week-kids dressed up in all the gear with bridesmaids-the lot, even a cake..
Of course they -the little ones --love all of the dressing up, but do the teachers really believe that these kids are taking in the seriousness of a wedding. I think they are too young to understand. It all seems like a movie to them and very glamourous.
Can anyone on WOL convince me that this is a good idea, or is it just me who feels uncomfortale with it--or 'it' being in the name of education.

Mari
15-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know how anyone else feels about children at school-usually infants/juniors ,renacting the wedding ceremony .
I saw yet another one in the paper this week-kids dressed up in all the gear with bridesmaids-the lot, even a cake..
Of course they -the little ones --love all of the dressing up, but do the teachers really believe that these kids are taking in the seriousness of a wedding. I think they are too young to understand. It all seems like a movie to them and very glamourous.
Can anyone on WOL convince me that this is a good idea, or is it just me who feels uncomfortale with it--or 'it' being in the name of education.

I don't really think it is a bad think Cathidaw. It's quite sweet really,
at least they are being taught what is normal. It is called infantile parentalism, and really not a bad thing at all.

:)

cathidaw
15-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Sweet's the word--and sums it up for me .I dont like it. Marriage is serious -not a frou frou show promising ' happy ever after' and this is a game to kids.

Mari
16-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Sweet's the word--and sums it up for me .I dont like it. Marriage is serious -not a frou frou show promising ' happy ever after' and this is a game to kids.

I think it is just a harmless form or mimesis . That's the way I view it anyway.

Marriage can be happy ever after if we ride the rough with the smooth.

Even when we are fully mature adults we enter into a serious relationship get married for better or for worse........ a life committment.

What I admire about the Catholic Church is that engaged couples go through a marriage preparation and instruction for 6 weeks. They discuss the married state, committment to each other, its responsibilities riding the rough with the smooth . I find this essential for couples planning marriage and what the deep committment to each other really means.
No one pretends it is a bed or roses.
I am sure the C of E may have marriage prep classes as well.

Back to educational matters for young children, of course it is very important children are instructed adequately in religious, moral and social matters. Not only does this lead to a spiritual richness, but you often find that children who are instructed well in the faith, also do generally do well in languages, humanities and sciences.

:)

Mari
16-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Another case in point.

We tell our kids about Father Christmas, when they grow up and find it was all just a fairy tale, they cope with it when that reality hits them, just as we coped when we were young .

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/forums/images/smilies/buh-bye_kitty.gif

I see you like cats cathi, hope you like this one.:p