PDA

View Full Version : Ideas

Toad
21-01-2008, 08:57 PM
A number of local groups, including the Warwick Society, the Chamber of Trade and independant business and local people, have been studying cheap (but effective!) ways of improving life in Warwick for both pedestrians and motorists in Warwick. They include simple things and complicated things but all are inexpensive, logical, well researched and (most importantly) well supported. But - guess what - the county council workers are doing there damndest to scupper any debate let alone any action. When are these over-paid, under-worked, over-pensioned bigots going to LISTEN to what local people want - and take some action! It really does seem like a case of them holding down their miserable jobs by doing as little as possible.
I hope this might widen the debate, not about any parochial ideas for Warwick but just why we are paying so much in taxes for these council parasites? Over to you.

chillitt
22-01-2008, 03:22 PM
It's odd how the decisions always come from 'the council' and no one will ever stand up and say 'I have decided to do this because... etc' Is everything decided by an anonymous committee?

Shizara
22-01-2008, 04:41 PM
It's rather like saying "Management have decided.." It keeps the heat off one individual should the decision be unpopular. There is also the thought of keeping people in the dark over things and treating them like mushrooms. - Am sure imaginations will be able to finish off the expression without needing to put it in here.

Many of us realize that decisions mostly come from a collective body of no names. The oddity is that it is a method that has stood the test of time, yet, like so many things it is continually recycled with tweaks here and there. Then, when raised as an issue further down the track the blame is laid at the feet of the unknown body called "The Previous Council".

Toad
23-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with all that has been said - especially about lack of accountability. From central government to the lowliest town council they always pass the buck. 'Not me guv!' The trouble with WCC is that it is manned by jobsworths on stupid pensions, massive holidays and almost complete job security. They don't HAVE to do anything - and no one raises an eyebrow, because they are all the same!
Very sad though, so many opportunities wasted because of their ineptitude. But don't give up. They thought the Chamber of Trade was going to quietly slink into the background and they are not. They intend to keep pushing until something (anything!) happens. WCC don't like it because they think they know best and shouldn't be questioned in their God-like state of overall control - and it also makes them have to THINK (not very common.) Watch this space.

Unregistered
24-01-2008, 02:59 PM
'By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.'

Now now boys, remember the rules. Its good to see the Chamber of Trade being unbiased again!

Madhatter
24-01-2008, 08:23 PM
The council is the group of people that us the public elected in some way. I'm not sure how you can say they're some sort of secret society not accountable for their decisions. All meetings are minuted, and for something to be passed a decision has to be proposed , seconded and passed by a majority.
Now that proposal is often discussed prior to the meetings in the pub and a discussion about who will vote each way often takes place. Councillors are often councillors for their own gain will often push things through that benefit themselves and friends, be it planning permission, grant funding, contracts. Very rare do you get a councillor that has been a councillor a while that the 'old boys' haven't turned around to their way of thinking, That is from the original way of thinking when they decided to become a councillor, for the betterment of the town for the people of that town, often because a society or group they were involved has been wronged by the council or because they feel strongly about a particular planning project or funding project.
It all starts off with good intentions, thinking they can change the town for the better but these corrupt dinosaurs that just won't die corrupt these inexperienced well intentioned people.
What I don't understand is why do the public keep voting for them. Are you sado masochist, do enjoy pain, being kept down, deprived of what you deserve. Or is it that you can't be bothered and just vote for the name you recognise. Maybe it's because only good decisions are publicised so you think the sun shines out of that councillors ear hole and you don't know that he's just supported a planning matter that will put a 3 story house at the bottom of your garden denying you the privacy you've had since moving in ten years ago.
I'm on about no particular level of council or any particular area of council, no councillors were harmed in the making of this post. :D

Toad
27-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Is it me, or was that really patronising?
Which is why it's not worth answering! It contains the two assumptions that we are all 'boys' and that Toad has something to do with the chamber of trade Assumption without proof is very silly.

cathidaw
28-01-2008, 04:52 PM
A phrase I like is 'A Council Spokesman' who has the answer to everything
But no-one ever knows who he-or she, is and it is quite impossible to find out.
Does anyone out there know?

Is there just one -or an army of them scuttling about in the depths of the council offices like Ninja turtles each with its own speciality in answers.

I know this is flippant but the way things are going everone is getting heated, and it doesn't do to get personal.
Flippant did I say ? I m serious..

chillitt
28-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I know someone who used to be a council spokesman! they left, because the job was literally driving them toward a breakdown. If you think what the spokeman says is bad, Imagine the stuff that we don't hear about...( I will not give out any information on who this was, or what they would not 'spin' for public consumption, as I am sure it would cause er... 'issues':rolleyes: )

Toad
28-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Which indirectly leads me to ask, did anyone see the one-sided diatribe against Warwick in the Courier on Friday? It really makes you wonder if the paper is in league with WCC in trying to close the place down!

Toad
28-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Just in case anyone would like to read it (and hopefully email a comment to letters@leamingtoncourier.co.uk)

What's wrong with Warwick by Peter Ormerod
Warwick’s a funny place, isn’t it? Its name has a prestige and allure arguably unrivalled in the Midlands, being appropriated by businesses and organisations that have nothing to do with the town (see Moss Bros’s Warwick range of wedding clobber, or Warwick University, or Warwick Gates). Millions of drivers will have seen brown signs pointing them to Historic Warwick, and it lends its name to roads and streets in towns and cities nationwide.

If you’d never been there, you’d think you were missing something. But the question must be asked: weren’t you just a bit disappointed when you first went?

It certainly has its attractions. Parts of the town centre are undeniably pretty, with the view of the castle from Banbury Road indisputably magnifient. Yet somehow, it doesn’t quite work. There’s an oddly hollow and disparate feel to the place.

Two problems the town faces are symptomatic of its lack of cohesion. One is that its annual pancake race may not take place this year - purely because the chap who normally organises it has been away. The other is that work is yet to begin on a community centre for the Chase Meadow housing estate, in the town’s south-western corner. Both demonstrate a certain lethargy, sluggishness and soullessness.

Perhaps part of the blame lies with decades of poor planning. Warwick’s body seems somehow dismembered, like a miniature Stoke-on-Trent. It various estates - Packmores, Percy, Woodloes, Forbes, and so on - mesh none too well, and they comprise the bulk of the town. They are not without merit - indeed, they recall the town’s proud industrial heritage - but they are unlikely to feature on any postcards. Market Place meanwhile remains a windswept semi-plaza under Shire Hall’s drab, empty gaze. And there is not a single shop in Warwick that would tempt me away from Leamington.

But the problem goes deeper than aesthetics and architecture. It is a mark of the place that we as a paper have struggled for some time with our coverage of Warwick. This has not always been for want of trying, or due to our journalists’ lack of ability (two Warwick reporters from recent years now work on national newspapers). It’s more that, bar a few douty, public-spirited stalwarts, few people seem to care that much about it, and stories are harder to come by than they ought to be. By way of comparison, Kenilworth (population 22,500) usually has 12 pages devoted to it in the Weekly News; Warwick (population 25,000) usually has only three in the Courier.

There is doubtless much good going on in Warwick. Its literary and folk festivals now have a national profile, and it continues to attract businesses and tourists. Its Victorian evening before Christmas was great fun, and it also has some of the best pubs and restaurants in the county. But, overall, it seems for the moment rather like a sad, reclusive middle-aged bloke who feels his best years are behind him. Yes, he enjoys the odd night out - but unfortunately those just show him what’s missing in his life.

Now, I would enjoy being proved wrong on all this. If you can let us know of things that are going on in Warwick of which we’re unaware, please do. If you can suggest any improvements in our coverage of Warwick, go ahead. We will continue to do what we can for Warwick; the rest is up to you.

Unregistered
28-01-2008, 07:22 PM
It was meant to be patronising, though only to Toad who seems to have a very interesting point of view he (sorry..or she) is all to willing to write while thinking they're annonymous.

As for the Courier article it raised some good points about Warwick. As you guys (sorry..or girls) aren't from the chamber of trade I guess you won't mind me saying it is the excess of junk shops and food outlets that let the town down and make Leamington a preference.

Toad
28-01-2008, 10:15 PM
You could at least have the guts to register on the site before talking to members like that. Now, be a good girl and run along & don't bother us any more.

Thanks Lex, can't be bothered with snide attacks. Very happy to debate but not with the likes of 'unregistered'. it's a bit like 'name and addressed supplied' very suspicious.
Anyway, really glad we don't have to put up with them in Warwick and Leamington is very welcome to them They probably like the mop a well!!

cathidaw
29-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Ithought the newspaper article was very good. The reporter sounds desperate to DO something ,or at least to shake the council out of their comfy seats.
Of course nothing will happen as usual,there will be angry letters for a while ,then all will be back to normal. Something really radical has to happen for things to change.
The problem is ,very much like in Coventry- everyone grumbles about injustices and things , but will not back each other up when the time comes.
I always think of Warwick as a quaint old town which it is, but you are right, most of the new build has no character whatsoever. I hate that area by Woolies.
Last summer I was passing through Warwick on a Saturday It was market day so I stopped to have a look. What a pathetic scene it was too.
I wonder if it is always as dreary as that. Even the stallholders looked as if they had given up.
The new market in Bedworth is attractive, although the rentals are extortionate , so we dont get so much variety as we did when it was in the town centre.While the new one was being built it was held in the centre and crowds came 3 times a week. People asked the Council to leave it there but of course they always know best what's good for the proles so it moved and not many visitors come now.
Ilike the bit about the pancake maker. which reminded me:::
I had an 'incident' with my car last June and the person who was dealing with it at the insurance company went on maternity leave. I was told that I'd have to wait. I phoned their freephone number every day for two weeks until they got fed up and passed it on to someone.
I'm still waiting for my money----should be here next week.
:clapping: :clapping: :105:

Unregistered
29-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Toad don't assume I come from Leamington...'Assumption without proof is very silly' and in this respect unforgivable! I rest my case.

Cathidaw I share your opinion, the area round Woolies does let the town down a bit with cheap plywood sign propped up against walls and so forth. The library/multistory carpark/office block ruins a lovely view of St Mary's tower as well. The 1960's has a lot to answer for unfortunately! Oh and everytime I've been to Warwick Market the poor stall holders have been looking bored out of their brains, nothing seems to happen in the town at weekends. Thank you Cathi for a nice reply.

This is the last you will hear from me. I was considering registering and what a useful facility this could be, but looking at the other discussions on here and the snide remarks made, notably by two register users who seem to be totally lacking in humour (calm down Lex I don't mean you!) I would not wish my name to be associated with something that gives such a bad impression of Warwick! Any potential tourists reading this would avoid the place like the plague. Such a shame. Most forums would block users for personal attacks such as seem to be the norm here.

Miranda J Python, Kenilworth

PS, Can I make the final assumption that you'll want to have the last word so you think you've won. ;-)

Shizara
29-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I am inclined to agree with Lex on this. It is true that generally we get on well here, but in this world, perfection does not reign and there will be times that a comment will cause a reaction, however, differences of opinion are not wrong, in fact, they are very healthy as they do present different angles to something.

Whilst it is good that people are nice to each other and are respectful we are not robots reading from a manual of appropriate comments. Each of us is individual and each has a opinion on a subject.

Miranda, this is a great place to visit and we should all take responsibility for own behaviour. If something is said that you don't like there are avenues such as advising staff that there is a problem and of course we don't have to respond to something like for like and so raise the danger of inflaming the situation.

This is a group of varying personalities, should you choose to join us then you will be adding your personality as well and will likely find that we really are not that bad at all.

chillitt
29-01-2008, 11:05 AM
The market in Warwick is quite good, although not to big.. The greengrocers are better than the supermarkets, and cheaper too.. and the cheese mans good too... Not many markets have an 'Antique' stall too!
Warwick is never (I hope!) going to be a buzzing modern trendy town as Leamington attempts, but that doesn't mean it has to stagnate. There have been a some great new shops opening in the last year or so. People who want Birmingham city centre are welcome to go there, and Warwick will never compete with that, we offer something different, and if you can't appreciate that, then you have missed the point.
Complaining about the weather in the market place is interesting, but not our fault! Should there be a roof on the market place?:rolleyes:
Warwick isn't perfect, But it is quite good at being Warwick, and thats quite a good Unique Selling Point.

cathidaw
29-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Coventry City Council is hell bent on cloning this City. Why on earth 'they' cannot understand that Coventry is Coventry and never will be Birmingham.The people are what they are--middleimarket-- and shopping is not bad now. A lot of the centre needs tidying up still, but mostly from the mess made by the 'improvers'
We have a great new theatre --half finished, but it's getting there.
Question though--------can we get there?
The road system is shocking-roads blocked off or going nowhere.(And I wont mention that monstrous Ikea which caused a lot of it) .I hope they dont go ahead and demolish the best ring road ever. Imagine the chaos then.
We dont need the gigantic posh shops of bigger towns -(there are plenty 18 miles up the M6) just decent ones, and easy ways to reach them, and if the the cheaper shops like Primart and pound shops 'lower the tone' ,why are they so busy and heaving most of the time. It must be what folk want as they have to travel by bus or car to get to them
Most towns give people what [I]they the planners want not what the people want
I know we need to plan our towns, but the way it is done angers most people.
I am a Coventry kid even tho' I live just north of it's border so I poke my nose into it's affairs frequently
Miranda -don't go because you have been offended. Get around that ,you appear to have a lot to offer.

Toad
29-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Toad don't assume I come from Leamington...'Assumption without proof is very silly' and in this respect unforgivable! I rest my case.

Cathidaw I share your opinion, the area round Woolies does let the town down a bit with cheap plywood sign propped up against walls and so forth. The library/multistory carpark/office block ruins a lovely view of St Mary's tower as well. The 1960's has a lot to answer for unfortunately! Oh and everytime I've been to Warwick Market the poor stall holders have been looking bored out of their brains, nothing seems to happen in the town at weekends. Thank you Cathi for a nice reply.

This is the last you will hear from me. I was considering registering and what a useful facility this could be, but looking at the other discussions on here and the snide remarks made, notably by two register users who seem to be totally lacking in humour (calm down Lex I don't mean you!) I would not wish my name to be associated with something that gives such a bad impression of Warwick! Any potential tourists reading this would avoid the place like the plague. Such a shame. Most forums would block users for personal attacks such as seem to be the norm here.

Miranda J Python, Kenilworth

PS, Can I make the final assumption that you'll want to have the last word so you think you've won. ;-)

Miranda, I write this not because I want the last word, I hope it won't be, but because I assume I am one of the 'registered users.....totally lacking in humour'.
I too am truly sorry you are leaving and I agree with the others that we need everyone to debate fully. We will disagree, fall out but ultimately talk, ideas and discussions are so much better than war!
I perhaps am OTT sometimes. I have run a business in Warwick for 30 years; I have seen Warwick in the depths of despair and, now, on an upward track. I get very depressed when I see our local worthies making life as difficult as possible. And I get even more depressed when people run the place down. But I accept that it is horses for courses. Not everyone is going to like Warwick - or Kenilworth or Leamington. But we retailers have fought hard for what we have and I, for one, am very proud of what we have achieved - which perhaps makes me defensive - but, I hope, never offensive.
I hope I have not offended you. You input is as vital as everyone elses and I really hope that the last word is yours and that you will reconsider and come back to debate some more.
Best wishes.
PS - as for the lack of humour, I was told off at work today for laughing too much. Perhaps I'm not very good at putting it into my writing - sorry.

Madhatter
29-01-2008, 09:34 PM
This is a discussion forum, we discuss, debate comment on, we won't agree or there would be non of those. This site is not a tourism site, I'm not sure why you think it is, but it isn't. It is an interesting point though because on the old atherstone site we used to have a forum attached just like this and many people complained that towns folks disagreements were putting tourists off. Now I've got a forum, which at the moment although it does contain events information, is still mainly for towns folk to chat. I do intend to add it back to a site though, I'm not sure which one yet, it may not be me that chooses. Perhaps you could suggest how do we set up a site with a forum attached so tourists can ask questions, and where locals can debate how to better the town without those locals putting off the tourists. ?
It is logical to me that locals of each and every town will disagree and it doesn't reflect badly in my view, however to lots it obviously does.

Gladys
19-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi peeps, Sorry, but didn't know where else to post this question. I don't usually go to pubs/hotels etc on Sundays as I am usually at work. However, I'd like to know what everyone finds at their locals on a Sunday lunchtime? Do the landlords put roast tatoes, pickles/cheese, olives, peanuts etc out as routine? I remember from years back that this was the usual but is it now? I ask as my friend has taken over a hotel that is also used by many locals as thier local and the locals are demanding this of him although they don't always frequent the place but seem to expect it to be as they expect and it is a quiet time also.They are 'good' sorts who spend when they are in and use the place for family stays/dos etc. Any advice would be appreciated.