PDA

View Full Version : noisey neibours

mr miffy
08-12-2007, 06:35 PM
hi we have got 2 teenage kids 1 is 14 the other is 18 there mother leaves them alone for days at a time this has been going on for 7 weeks they are playing music and having parties. we have 2 small girls 3 and 8 the noise is unbearable,weve spoken to enviromental health and they are looking into the noise, does anyone know how to deal with the kids and the fact the mother has left them to have parties, who or what section of the councill do we need to contact

Shizara
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
From first hand experience I truly do empathise with what you are experiencing. I too had a neighbour who partied with music that reached decibels you wouldn't believe easily drowning out any noise from neighbouring pubs. Dealing with it is difficult. You have a family to consider and need to do the right thing by them and yourself. I honestly don't know how you can go about dealing with these individuals. When my neighbour was seemingly soberer during the day I would speak to him about the level of noise etc. He would make all the responses about keeping it down and do nothing.

You are expected, it would seem, to go through the unbelievable drama of putting up with it and following certain guidelines regarding making a complaint. But the one factor that appears to be overlooked is the TIME involved and the ongoing trauma and stress for you and your family.

If you have been down the usual paths my next thought would be, perhaps, your local MP.

mr miffy
09-12-2007, 04:39 AM
why when u need the help about noisey neibours does the councill and the police not want to help i have 2 small kids going through hell here and no one wants to help:mad:

Will
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I have had the same problem in the past, I tried the police who told me to contact the local police, who then told me I actually had to contact the environmental authorities. I got through to them and I said there was a party going on somewhere near me which was incredably loud and it was 3am in the morning.

Because I could see where it was coming from, and because I didn't feel like going for a walk in the freezing cold at 3am in the morning, they refusd to come out or do anything about it. Even more infuriatingly, they phoned a month later to ask if the problem was still happening! I explained that it was a month ago, and if it had been stopped it certainly wouldn't be thanks to them. In other words, they were useless!

Shizara
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
The frustration here is that many of us from personal experience know how you feel and yet there is a common denominator. Not being able have the problem dealt with in a satisfactory manner from the very places and people that you would expect to find support for that sort of antisocial behaviour.

What is the issue?? Have they more rights than their long suffering victims? It certainly appears so.

mr miffy
10-12-2007, 04:22 AM
can a parent leave 2 teenage kids on there own for seven weeks only to pop back to give them the odd fiver ,meanwhile there running riot, which section of the councill do we contact?

optrex
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
can a parent leave 2 teenage kids on there own for seven weeks only to pop back to give them the odd fiver ,meanwhile there running riot, which section of the councill do we contact?

yes cos the oldest is 18

also the youngest at 14 can be left on her own ( without the 18 year old being around) but is not able to supervise anyone

mr miffy
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
so that means the 18 year old can invite loads of mates round everynight throw parties scream shout smoke drugs drink and we have to suffer next door?this is the law? this must be a joke

Shizara
10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Neighbours from hell I think is the term...

Neighbour Noise: Help Sheet and what you can do - Part I (http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/noise/index.php)

At the end of that page is a link to the next page. You might find some useful information here though, there is a time factor embedded in and it doesn't involve an instant fix.

Unregistered
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
so that means the 18 year old can invite loads of mates round everynight throw parties scream shout smoke drugs drink and we have to suffer next door?this is the law? this must be a joke

you dont state your location as council matters for enviromental health are dealt with at a local level.

eg https://secure.northwarks.gov.uk/site/scripts/xforms_form.php?formID=9

mr miffy
14-12-2007, 04:42 PM
stockingford

Tiff
16-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Hi guys,:)
Sorry I've been too busy to read through the thread properly, so apologies for any advice already given being repeated.
I can say that Social Services would very likely consider these children old enough to be left left on their own, especially as the 18 year old is an 'adult'.
You've gone the environmental route which is good so I'd say the next step is to report them to the council for being bad neighbours. You can report them to the housing section even if they are private tenants I think, in which case you should also write to their landlord hun. Housing people make a lot of noise these days about nuisance neighbours and Asbos.;)
Also be sure to keep a log of time, dates, etc about the neighbours noise and also so another log for conversations with anyone you speak to on this matter, including the neighbours.
I hope this helps sweetheart.
Much Love,
Tiff xxx

Shizara
17-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Whilst the above process is necessary it is also extremely frustrating in the the interim an asbo often just moves the problem for another area to be plagued by the same behaviour. This is how I came to have "Decibels through the roof" neighbours. Their friends who owned the equipment had been a neighbourhood menace in their own area and been given asbos. The equipment was moved next door and the partying carried on. They were shouted at from the street, had polite requests to turn the noise down. As for sleep, I forgot what that was about. It amounted to a couple of hours here and there at all sorts of odd times.

The process required when making a complaint is offputting to say the least. Not only are you becoming tired, frazzled, angry, annoyed, frustrated etc by the inconsiderate behaviour of the neighbours but you are required to document it for a period of time so I daresay many will suffer but certainly not in silence so to speak.

Imagine being an elderly person subjected to this nonsense and being to afraid to take too much action for fear of reprisal? That same feeling could apply to anyone.

mr miffy
19-12-2007, 08:03 PM
makes u wonder ? can u blame people for taking the law into their own hands:(

Shizara
21-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I understand what you are saying, but it isn't worth the risk in the long run. The tables have a habit of turning and the roles reverse whereby the alleged offender suddenly becomes the victim and the victim becomes an offender.

nutty_girl_2001
30-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Hm... maybe report the kids being left alone to Social Services?

mr miffy
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
social services say they cant do anything as the girl is of adult age? what a joke she has all the parties.no one wants to help police cant be bothered eh only deal with the noise issue and social say they cant do anything councill wont do anything because its not a councill house? what do i pay my taxes for if these morons wont help.unless it affects them personall they aint bothered ,meanwhile my 2 girls and me and the wife are going through sheer hell:help:

Shizara
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Your frustration, anger and concern for your family is understandable. Do you know who your local MP is? If so try writing to him/her outlining your concerns and what you have done to try and have the problem resolved. I know it is a hassle to do so after all you and your family have been through but writing to your MP is taking the problem up a level and hopefully drawing attention to it in the right way.

mr miffy
03-01-2008, 08:08 PM
tried that he told us to goto the safer neibourhood police team,there looking into it but this has been going on for 5 months now how long does it take before we see some results.the lads not been to school since september why hasnt the mother been prosicuted ive reported it 3 times:mad:

Shizara
23-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Have things quietened down now for you mr miffy?

mr miffy
23-01-2008, 08:12 PM
yes 5 weeks without music we got the police out to our neibours they searched the property for drugs but found none? only searched for 30 mins and on a wed afternoon shouldve been fri or sat night they arrested a lad whos been staying next door ,hes back there now lets see how he behaves:clapping:

Shizara
23-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Nice one. Hopefully you and your family will have some peace now.

Mari
04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Mr. Miffy,
I hope your noise problem has been resolved .
I can understand how you feel.
Here where I live, we have a lot of students, nothing wrong with that, but... they love to party, like any evening in the week and every weekend, the niose was just getting out of hand, with bongo drums in the garden as well, shouts and laughter till early hours in the morning...... I thought I would go mad. However, our complaint to the council sorted them. The bliss is lovely........ lets hope it lasts.

I don't mind students , they got to let off steam, but please consider others. Some folk have to get up for work. :cool:

Shizara
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't mind students , they got to let off steam, but please consider others. Some folk have to get up for work.

My sentiments exactly, however, their day will come when they have to work for a living and likely another generation of students will be doing the same to them. :evilsmile:

locster
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Peronally I always make the effort to go and 'ask' for music to be turned down no matter what the time of day. Students will usually be a bit embarrassed and immediately turn the music off, often I don't even have to say anything just knockig at the door with a seriously pissed off look does the trick - but then I am 6'6". Apart from that I've often considered (A) staying in the travel lodge and sending them the bill (yer right) or (B) straying from the law everso slightly and cutting off their power. When you're annoyed things like that go through your head. The law needs to be stronger in this area huh.